Morbid Saint
Spectrum of Death

by Spanky USER (8 Reviews)
July 19th, 2011 | 21 replies

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One of the fastest, heaviest, and greatest thrash metal albums ever released.

For those who have heard it, I do not need to say how powerful and fierce it is. Spectrum of Death is Morbid Saint's 1989 album - originally released as the demo "Lock up Your Children" in 1988. This was the band's only album - they released a demo called Destruction System four years later and then split up. Despite this, Morbid Saint remains a legendary - yet terribly overlooked - thrash metal band.

The album opens with a powerful guitar riff and pounding drums soon follow. The singer's brutal, shrieking vocals soon after penetrate the wall of sound produced by the heavy instruments. This is the opening track, Lock Up Your Children. A good track, but far from my favourite from the album. 3.5/5

Next up is the equally powerful Burned at the Stake. The drums are even more resonant here than in the first track. There is absolutely no melody to this brutal song - it does not need it. It is fast and brief. 4.5/5

The 3rd song, Assassin, is one of my favourites from the album. It begins with a wonderful riff. The drums are here are perhaps the most powerful in the entire album. Rather than detract from the music, they add to the brutal atmosphere. The singer's vocals are also at their best in this song. 5/5

Song 4, Damien, is a return to the band's formula of relentless, speedy thrash. At about a minute and a half through the song, it shifts into a more melodic section. Great song. 4.5/5

This is probably the heaviest song on the album: Crying For Death. The intro is chaotic; thundering drums and a vicious riff. The solo is amazing. Easily one of the best songs on the album. 5/5

For the first time thus far, the album takes a softer approach with the short Spectrum of Death. I have used the word powerful to describe Morbid Saint's music time and time again, but for this song, I apply it in an emotional sense. I don't know what it is, but this song is very moving. 5/5

Another great track. This is more of a controlled track as opposed to chaotic songs like Burned at the Stake. 5/5

The final track of the album, Beyond the Gates of Hell, begins with a brief drum solo and enters into a guitar solo. You can hear screams in the background throughout the song. Another great one. 4.5/5

This album is, in my opinion, one of the greatest albums ever released. It is a nonstop storm of complicated or just plain fast riffs, pounding drums, and ferocious shrieking vocals from the singer. There is not a doubt in my mind that this is a timeless metal classic, and anyone who can get their hands on this album should. It is truly amazing.

Autopsy Severed SurvivalRichard Strauss Metamorphosen
Sodom Agent OrangeCrionic Different
Mercyful Fate Don't Break the OathAspid Extravasation
4.3
SlMBOLlC (5)
fuck you...

Drew Tyler (3.5)
This album will kick your ass and give you a headache....

Dethtrasher (4.5)

NocteDominum
July 20th 2011

Not bad for a first or a tbt, have a pos.

this review is terrible

Dismantle

posd m/

Edwin

Such a great album.

Idnuf
July 20th 2011

Yeah this review is actually awful

ShinXetsu
July 20th 2011

Review is kinda meh but oh man Scars off this fucking rocks m/

awesome

rasputin

July 20th 2011

Yeah, I'm terrible at writing music reviews. I honestly have no idea what to say in a review besides the fact that I like the song or I don't like it. I'm not any good at describing music or any of that. I just wrote this because I love the album.

well next time dont

BloodSweatandBeers

lol this review

jingledeath

this album holy shit

July 20th 2011

the review does it justice doesnt it

July 20th 2011

yo lyon dont listen to these jokers this is a good album made by thrashers in the frozen wastes of wisconsin theyd be proud of what youve done

July 20th 2011

pussyfied just wants to see a review for carnivore thats why hes upset

guys GUYS

I can hear screams in the background throughout the song

July 20th 2011

I think pyosisified is funny, honestly.

July 20th 2011

nothing compared to this... "review"

HenchmanOfSanta

1925 Comments

Not a very good review but this album is amazing.

July 20th 2011

Like I said, I can't do reviews. This is the first time I've ever even attempted doing it and, to the satisfaction of Pyosisified, I don't intend to do another one.
I didn't mean that sarcastically though, you really are funny.