Woodkid
Iron

by Mark/Angel USER (7 Reviews)
July 12th, 2011 | 19 replies | 15,723 views

Review Summary: A renowned director writes orchestral folk? Certainly worth checking out, if for the title track and accompanying video alone.

Yoann Lemoine, film and music video director extraordinaire who has worked with Katy Perry and Moby, has now turned his hand to creating music as well and created a small but potent offering under the moniker Woodkid, and Iron EP is an eclectic mix of piano, acoustic guitar, orchestral and tribal drums, with echoes of The Shoes and Iron & Wine.

4 original songs and 2 remixes are provided, each with their own individual personality but united with a common trend. “Iron” is like a soundtrack in quality, with melodious wind and brass arrangements interweaving with the drumwork for a powerful song. The three ones that follow are brilliant, but more low-key than the title track. “Brooklyn” is a warm acoustic-based homage to the New York borough, while “Baltimore’s Fireflies” and “Wasteland” are more piano-based, although all three have orchestral treatments, a noteworthy section being the strings in “Baltimore’s Fireflies”.
It is a shame that “Iron” is subjected to remixing, when the remixes are much weaker than the original. Logically they make sense; Lemoine directed Mystery Jets’ video so they must have returned the favor. But neither that remix nor the Gucci Vump one do much for me and they can be skipped quite easily.

“Iron” is a driving anthem with lyrics that mix in well with the promotional usage on Assassin’s Creed: Revelations: “A soldier on my own, I don’t know the way/I’m riding up the heights of shame”. Woodkid’s low and warm voice adds a lot of depth to all the songs, although his French accent obscures some of the words. I cannot find complete lyrics to the other songs, but they sound well-written from what I can make out, and he has a fantastic voice which fits in well with them.

What I love so much about this EP is how deceptively simple it is, and yet dissecting the layers becomes part of the fun. Iron EP is a great if short ride, and easy to spin multiple times, minus the pointless remixes. I’ve heard talk of a full-length to be released soon, and Woodkid certainly has piqued my interest as to how it will turn out.

Rating: 3.75/5

Originally posted at http://www.mostlymetal.wordpress.com

Explosions in the Sky The Earth is Not a Cold Dead PlaceDan Dankmeyer Origin
Aortic Regurgitation Aortic Regurgitation EPMamamicarburo Barcelona
Killswitch Engage Alive or Just BreathingSavage Circus Dreamland Manor

The Golden Age

July 12th 2011

Fuck off with all these reviews

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

July 12th 2011

This definitely needed a review. Video for Iron is one of the coolest i've seen.

Why, Deviant?

July 12th 2011

Explain to me the point of bumping people's reviews off the front page just so you can have a whole bunch of yours up

July 12th 2011

1 at a time, maybe 2 spaced out between the day. Your bumping other reviews off the page besides it looks tacky when theres 9 reviews from the same guy on the front page.

July 12th 2011

My bad, I'll slow it down. Wasn't my intention to bump others off, I only realized it after I'd posted a few.

July 12th 2011

You didn't realize that posting a review would knock another off?

Voivod
July 12th 2011

With all these reviews you are going straight for banishment from this site...

Patience my friend...

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly

FrankRedHot
July 12th 2011

"Yes, because I didn't see that part of the homepage (the users' reviews bit). Anyway, as said, I'll back off. Apologies for offense or annoyance caused."

What are you? Fucking blind?

fish.

20225 Comments

How many people know of this cos of the Assassin's Creed: Revelations trailer?

I love Iron but the rest is meh

Digging: YG - My Krazy Life

FelixCulpa
July 12th 2011

Wow the video for Iron was amazing.

Aids
July 12th 2011

you guys need to chill he said he didn't realize. he does now, let's give the new guy a little slack, christ.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

July 12th 2011

2 out of the now 14 comments are about music. Brilliant.

Sanders
July 12th 2011

"How many people know of this cos of the Assassin's Creed: Revelations trailer?

I love Iron but the rest is meh"

Seconded.

Irving
July 12th 2011

Solid review mate. I thought it was well-written. Do fix those little formatting thingummies though. Don't mind the anger seen here - most folks are pretty agreeable most of the time - just don't post too many reviews at the same time =)

In any case, I hope you keep writing. We could always use more talent around here.

Digging: Pixies - Indie Cindy

Parallels
July 12th 2011

"2 out of the now 14 comments are about music. Brilliant."

Yeah the rest are mostly about the review. lol you funny balls

Ssssssss
July 13th 2011

I heard the first song on the Assassin's Creed revelations trailer. Fit so well

SebastianJunior
May 21st 2012

Frustrating that this exquisite set of songs is so short. I would prefer fewer remixes as well!