Vakill
Armor of God

by Idnuf USER (3 Reviews)
July 10th, 2011 | 7 replies | 5,701 views

Review Summary: The years have been good to Vakill, making Armor of God his most mature and complete album.

Rap is a young man’s game, with most rappers rising to prominence in their early twenties and ducking out of relevance in just a few years. Vakill, a Chicago MC, has been active in the scene for twenty years, yet he still controls the microphone like few others, refusing to fade into obscurity. With Armor of God, Vakill has released a complete statement of his versatility and talent.

Vakill’s lyrical style is reminiscent of Lord Finesse, relentlessly spitting simile after simile, punch line after punch line, though he is generally more verbose. Simple "x like y" similes are rarely found in his rhymes; he thinks up comparisons never once uttered by any other rapper. His lyrics are dense with wordplay and also with polysyllabic rhyming, but he has an uncommon talent to make it sound effortless. So called "backpacker rap" is brimming with rappers who ejaculate technical rhymes with no restraint, sacrificing their identity in the process. Vakill never loses sight of his purpose in making each song, even while spitting enough multis to make MF DOOM blush. Excellent as his technique is, thankfully he does not spend an hour on battle rap, with a set of all out brag tracks tempered by more reserved tracks for childhood reminiscence, exercising his story telling abilities, and taking on serious subject matter. Though he retains the flair for punch lines from previous albums, his delivery has taken a new route. He still has hunger, but he makes his old self look too desperate for attention and respect. As an aging MC, Vakill has, instead of weakening, settled into a new confidence that doesn’t necessitate as aggressive and quick a flow. It feels as though Vakill takes his own pace, finally wrangling the beats and driving the album forward instead of trying to keep up with them.

The production is a modern affair, more cinematic and complex than previous albums, giving it a less raw feel but helping to keep the album interesting through the entire sixty three minute runtime. The album begins with a set of powerful beats to match the explosive braggadocio that eventually give way to comparatively low key but still (if not more) effective beats. It has the power of The Darkest Cloud and the cold calm of Worst Fears Confirmed. The beats traverse varied territory, but through it all Vakill is in control and matches his flow perfectly to each one.

Armor of God is Vakill’s most mature effort, and paints the most complete picture of his abilities. Through the entire album, Vakill holds the attention of any listener willing to give him a chance and never lets go. There are a couple of guest appearances but he outshines all of them, never letting the focus be taken off of him. Even as a man who has been in the game for twenty years and is approaching the dreaded forty years old landmark, Vakill shows that he is still one of the very best to be doing it in any part of the world. The crown still don’t move.

Idnuf
July 10th 2011

Unspectacular review but I think it's alright. This is album is sooooo good, anyone who likes rap needs to try this out. I'd say it's easily better than Worst Fears Confirmed but I'm not sure about The Darkest Cloud. I haven't listened to this too extensively yet so I can't say right now, but there's something I like about the rawness and hunger of The Darkest Cloud that isn't here (even though I make it seem negative in the review).

GET IT

July 10th 2011

Fuck yes dude, just saw your comment in the list I made about this album. Dude is an absolute beasttt.

The only negative thing I can sorta see with this album is that there may be a few too many battle-rap tracks, although I love that shit so it's not really a flaw to me.

And, my opinion:

Darkect Cloud>>Armor of God>>Worst Fears, although all of them are fantastic

July 10th 2011

Oh and I'm glad you wrote a review so I don't have to, working 12 hours a day/every day in summer is such a bitch.

Idnuf
July 10th 2011

Yeah totally agree on the ranking, it's just that I've only listened to this album 5 times and it's still growing on me so I don't know if I'll eventually like it more than The Darkest Cloud. Saw your list a long time ago about your top 10 favorite rap albums and loved all of them but hadn't heard of Vakill. I immediately got Darkest Cloud and was thinking "fuuuuuuuuuuuck how didn't I know about this guy?"

July 10th 2011

Oh shit that's awesome, glad I could introduce you to him. I discovered The Darkest Cloud in pretty much the exact same way, some guy on a hip hop forum mentioned it about 7 years ago, got it and fell in love with it immediately.

Also a few of the hooks on this album are a biit weak (Heavy, Bi-Polar, Endless Road), but they're still awesome. It's probably closer to a 4 but I'm just such a sucker for this dude's punchlines

Panzerchrist
July 11th 2011

Never listened to him before, but now I regret it. The lyrics are pretty intelligent and the beats are consistently good throughout the entire album. Very good review, as well.

Tupik
August 4th 2011

Is he the guy that Cam'Ron took under his wing ? If so I've only heard good things about him, so I'll check this out.

That is, if I can find it somewhere, I'm having a very difficult time finding it right now.