Dickkicker
Somniloquent

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
July 6th, 2011 | 12 replies | 4,391 views

Review Summary: prepare to be kicked in the dick.

You have to love it when a band names themselves Dickkicker. It’s crude, straight to the point, and makes clear their dirty intentions (like an erect dick). They want the world to know that they have balls of steel, and that they are out to kick yours. How do they do this, you ask? Well, they don’t do it literally, but they give us the musical equivalent to being kicked in the dick. That’s their goal anyway, and while the EP may not be composed of the most crotch crunching music ever assembled, it gets the job done anyway. Prepare your balls for a painful ride that you won’t soon forget.

Somniloquent is an under produced stoner metal album that benefits from its raw recording. You get the true stoner experience, with extra grit from the slightly muddy production. The guitar receives an earthy, dirty tone that sounds great with the intentionally clunky bass notes. You get the impression that the entire EP was only recorded and completed once, so all synchronization lapses are clearly heard, and this is good. Also, the vocalist’s screams are gut-wrenching and abysmal as they should be, and it honestly sounds like he’s been kicked in the dick himself. All together, the band is the epitome of sketchiness, and it works well in their favor. They like their fuzz, and I like it too.

The greatest downside of this EP is that the songs are ridiculously short, so there isn’t much bang for your buck. Then again, if you’re looking for a quick blast of aggression, this is the album for you, and if you like your stoner metal to be under polished, look no further than this. The music doesn’t aim to surprise, but with enough aggression, you might enjoy getting kicked in the dick with this. Remember to wear a cup before checking this out.