Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate)
Home After Three Months Away

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
July 4th, 2011 | 141 replies | 23,502 views

Review Summary: by meticulous word choice and closed lips

It’s difficult to believe it was only two years ago when What It Takes To Move Forward was released, with the myriad of other bands that have followed suit and began worshipping Kinsella & Co. again with midwestern-emo Revival fare, with the plethora of quality releases off of Count Your Lucky Stars Records, with the general reinstatement of the style back into regular music discussion. Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate), clumsy titling and all, return for an EP to quench the craving of fans that have heard plenty of the band’s newfound contemporaries since ’09 but have been missing material from the Michiniginians who so expertly and gracefully reinterpreted the soft, thoughtful sounds of American Football and Mineral and further incorporated a sobering, indie aesthetic. Stylistically, 7’’ Home After Three Months Away is not a far cry from the heralded emo-revival centerpiece What It Takes To Move Forward. Less bombastic than its predecessor, Home After... relies more on immediacy and catchy melodies. Slow-burning build-ups a la “It Happened Because You Left” would have been awkward and clumsy compared to the 2-to-3-minute morsels. Though, where Empire! Empire! have quieted down, cut off the fat, and become pithier, there’s room granted for other particularities to flourish.

Home After Three Months Away and its semi-accurate namesake is the type of work that makes you realize something you’ve always felt but never knew-- Empire! Empire! write some of the most entrancing, genuine, and expert lyrics as of late. Latinen’s distinct writing style makes no swift departure from the LP, as his story-like lyrics are still filled with dense symbolism and copious literary devices, dripping with nostalgia. While there’s no clear highlight among the four, “Everything Rests On Your Small Shoulders” falls among the 7’’ as one of Empire!’s most beautifully written songs to date, lightly touching on religion and recollections. It’s the type of track (well, the type of EP actually) that makes Keith Latinen’s ability as a writer ever-apparent. It should come as no surprise to listeners that he has a Degree in English. The lyrics take on a more prominent role above the more airy tunes, here, and it reveals new sides of Empire! that may have gone unnoticed buried beneath the grandiose musical statements of before. In effect, while any singular tracks would have fit in on WITTMF, the 7’’ at hand properly differentiates itself without making any large leaps forward, per se. Mirroring the music, rather than making any grand gestures about Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate)’s place among the stars, Home After... is a subtle reminder as to the power of their emotional music, beautiful melodies, and absolutely exquisite lyrics. Three months? Two years? Too long away according to me.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP

July 4th 2011

I can't say enough about how taken I was by the lyrics here. It's the type of thing that moves this from a 3 to a 4 (and admittedly I don't usually place much weight on such things).

PS: you don't have to be into emo by any means to enjoy the shit out of this

PPS: this is available on Stiff Slack Records. The band is currently in Japan, and will be selling copies on tour (I believe) when they return, too.

Enjoy, please!

sweet review stay metal

Digging: Picchio dal Pozzo - Picchio dal Pozzo

FilupLees
July 4th 2011

I've heard people say this is better than the full length... Maybe I'll check it out some point.

I prefer most of my emo without midwestyness.

July 4th 2011

really? can't imagine someone thinking this better than the full-length but to each his own especially if they enjoy E! E! haha.

and yeah, I know, but it wouldn't hurt to try this.

ps it helps to have the lyrics nearby or listen closely to appreciate this more.

Irving

Good review, Eric. Pos.

I have to say that it seems like it's been awhile since I last saw you post on here. Might just be me. Either way, good to read from you again mate.

Digging: Caleb McAlpine - All Things New

dude can you review budgies 2nd album

crazyblinddude
July 4th 2011

Aw hell yeah. So good. The review sums this up very nicely.

HBFS

seriously this rules

thanks guys.

and yeah Irving I've been busy.
there's so so much that I think needs reviewed / brought to attention lately though so I'm going to start again once my internship ends this week.

Just needed to get this one out there.

OneMoreRoland

Its "michigander" brahhhhhhh

bungy

Nice job

FelixCulpa

Pos.

July 4th 2011

you can now stream this in full for free! and the lyrics are there, too!

and thanks for the feature, willie I presume : )

ShadowRemains

19423 Comments

nice, another good summer album

Kris.

great album

instantradical
July 4th 2011

Sounds like something I might like. A while ago a guy from Count Your Lucky Stars added me on Last.fm and I checked out a free compilation with this band on it. Don't really remember what these fellas in particular sounded like, though.

You know what would be really nice? If Mike Kinsella collaborated with Toe.

Athom
July 4th 2011

this isnt doing much for me

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

mmfarva
July 4th 2011

I have listened to this surprisingly little for having had it for a week or so. I enjoy it quite a bit, though it doesn't do as much for me as a few of their other releases. Love these two though, and I'm sure it will grow on me. I can't wait to get a copy.