Friendly Fires
Friendly Fires

by ridingchillwaves USER (1 Reviews)
June 28th, 2011 | 9 replies | 5,118 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Friendly Fires' self-titled LP stands out as classic/original dance rock.

Wow, just wow.

Within the indie community, dance music comes in a variety of styles. There's the obvious house/rave music genres, the myriad amounts of synth and electropop, experimental and art punkers, etc...

While many of these bands and artists are quite good, they all fit into a particular niche. Friendly Fires, however, proves that they are their own band with their stellar first album.

Friendly Fires' self-titled album is a melodic mix of a variety of musical styles. At first listen, it is apparent that the album is rock oriented. It drives and pushes just like any other generic indie rock band. As the listener delves deeper into the tracks though, a more rich experience is uncovered. The rock music "feel" is highlighted by slight tinges of electronic layering, funk music rhythm, and r 'n b-esque vocals. Ed Macfarlane can vocalize like no other. The already sweet pop lyrics are made even more sugary by the constant dips and dives of Macfarlane's vocal range.

I'm not personally a fan of heartfelt/poppy lyrics, but Ed sings with such emotion and meaning it's hard to not feel somehow connected.

"Jump in the Pool" sets the overall mood of the album. Lush, powerful, meaningful. The album's sound can fill any room. It shares the same aesthetic as a shoegaze album, but throws away noise and fuzz for reverb and melody. "Strobe" is the pinnacle of this. The atmospheric synths, delayed guitars, and lightly vocoded (if I'm not mistaken) chorus cause a drowsy response from the listener. You'll honestly feel like you're floating.

When it comes to dance music, Friendly Fires knows what's up. They have created an album completely original, and incredibly compelling. Quite amazing stuff.

DhA (4)
Fun, fresh, and oddly familiar....

Pala

liledman

funny name, poor review.

few of my friends love these guys, never listened though.

AliW1993
June 29th 2011

I still need to listen to their new one

STOP SHOUTING!
June 29th 2011

how come it hasn't got a review yet?

June 29th 2011

give me a break. i've been a member of this site for like two days. testing the waters.

February 22nd 2013

I didn't neg your stuff bro. I also was 15 when I wrote this. I also didn't say your review was bad either.

February 22nd 2013

I've been actually meaning to delete this. Ugh this sucks. I remember I wrote this in like 15 minutes thinking it wouldn't be a big deal and then suddenly oh shit suddenly every thinks i'm illiterate. Also, is getting neg'd for writing a review for a dynamic artist a bad thing? It just means people who don't like the artist couldn't handle your passion for it. Simmer down dude, it's just internets.

February 22nd 2013

Oh and yes. This band IS sooooooo underrated. The review may suck hard, but the sentiment still rings
true.

lol, I still can't believe I got called out on an assumption. I actually read that entire Immortal
Technique review despite its length and thought it was fine.

February 22nd 2013

Ed Macfarlane's vocals alone are fantastic. Such great stuff.

amemento
May 3rd 2013

lol i dont understand think harder andy