Metallica
Death Magnetic

by Dishpan USER (2 Reviews)
June 28th, 2011 | 24 replies | 4,461 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: They are well and truly back. They have removed the burden of St. Anger. Whether it's the catchy beginning of Broken, Beat & Scarred, the spectacular lead single The Day That Never Comes, the fast paced All Nightmare Long, the third installment of a fasci

They are well and truly back, fresh with a new permanent bassist, an recuperated vocalist and a lead guitarist with a full head of steam after being famously verboten of guitar solos in that farcical rubbish called St. Anger. They have, however, successfully removed the burden of St. Anger with this album. This the ninth studio album, is to me the best album of all, even better than the classics that never get old. Some may even call this album Kirk's revenge as we hear him play his numerous solos in a euphoric fury never heard in years. Another avenue of this album I highly appreciated was the revitalization of Lars' thunderous double bass. Metallica have slowly worked their way back into that 80s trash metal that we're certainly used to hearing.

I believe that Metallica are finally acting like they are enjoying being one of the greatest rock bands ever. They are older, wiser and more experienced. This to me has a significant advantage and although Trujillo is new to the band, he is part of a family that has enjoyed worldwide success for a whole generation. They certainly aren't over, at least in my books. It's amazing how this album goes for almost 75 minutes and yet only has 10 songs. All of the songs span more than 5 minutes and most of them go for over 7 minutes. All the songs either are at a fast tempo or build up to a fast tempo. The fitness of the guys, who are reaching 50, is incredible. It was also pleasing to hear the instrumental back again after 20 long years. Suicide & Redemption, which clocks at 10 minutes. As is the Metallica tradition, the instrumental is long and is towards the end of the album.

Many say that the band screwed up with The Unforgiven III. Yes it doesn't exactly match the guidelines of I and II but, nevertheless, it is a beautiful piece or ballad in itself and it most definitely can be forgiven. Whether it's the catchy beginning of Broken, Beat & Scarred, the spectacular lead single The Day That Never Comes, the fast paced All Nightmare Long, the third installment of a fascinating trilogy, The Unforgiven III or the lengthy but creative instrumental, Suicide & Redemption, this album's got it all. This album has put Metallica right back up to the top of the metal tree, where they should remain. You must buy it.

Personnel: James Hetfield - Vocals/Rhythm Guitar
Kirk Hammett - Lead Guitar/Backing Vocals
Robert Trujillo - Bass Guitar/Backing Vocals
Lars Ulrich - Drums/Percussion

3.2
good

BigHans
June 28th 2011

album slays and all but it doesnt tough the first 5. Good job though.

MO

DEETH MAGNETIIIYAAC

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

Gmork89
June 28th 2011

What hans said, good job.

MO
June 28th 2011

yea for sure, though I disagree with the rating nice review

LepreCon
June 28th 2011

OMFG so fucking good even after three years...

Good review too, some grammar and spelling issues but not too much of a biggie

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Conor, the only guy that's an even bigger Metallica fanboy than BigHans...

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

Maniac!

lol.

BigHans

youre probably right Tyrael

Dismantle
June 28th 2011

honestly this is a really shit album but good review posd

Parallels
June 28th 2011

"I believe that Metallica are finally acting like they are enjoying being one of the greatest rock bands ever"

lol theyve thought that for years...

mariothehedgehog
June 28th 2011

altmer's review is still pretty much the only correct one

album blows

Parallels

Album Rating: 6

TheMushuPork
June 28th 2011

Well there not terrible anymore, now just boring. Good review anyway.

ANALCUNT

lol

DominionMM1
June 28th 2011

"Some may even call this album Kirk's revenge as we hear him play his numerous solos in a euphoric fury never heard in years."

Overuse of his wah pedal does not equal euphoric fury. This album is Metallica's pathetic attempt to pander to the same crowd that they basically told to fuck off 15 years ago.

Digging: Clutch - Blast Tyrant

FearThyEvil9
June 28th 2011

I'm getting sick of seeing this album reviewed.

Irving
June 28th 2011

the third installment of a fasci

Site auto-censoring the word "fascist" from the review, clearly.

Digging: Caleb McAlpine - All Things New

lmletal

lol

Darkvoid67
June 28th 2011

I shall presume you ran out of space in your intro. Good job, although I completely disagree. Metallica hasn't been anything since 1991

DominionMM1
June 28th 2011

What are you talking about? Although it's not teh br00talz that many seem to think Metallica should've kept doing, 'Load' is a great record.