Kitaro
The Light of the Spirit

by War On Drugs: Suck My Cock USER (20 Reviews)
June 25th, 2011 | 22 replies

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Nothing short of a masterpiece.

By the time he was recording The Light of the Spirit in 1987, Kitaro had already made a career out of excellence. While most of his previous albums were produced and recorded only by himself, Kitaro brought in Mickey Hart of The Grateful Dead to co-produce The Light of the Spirit. While this seems like a strange match-up, the decision proved to be a wise one, because the result of these sessions ended up being his best work since his debut album nine years earlier.

If there's anything to be said about Kitaro, one must first point out the obvious; the man is a genius when it comes to composing melodies. Previously, Kitaro sometimes struggled to find a winning melody, but here, the struggle is gone, as he's always on the mark with a breathtaking, dramatic, or uplifting theme. Perhaps the best track here is "In the Beginning," which can only be described as jaw-dropping. It's easily one of the most triumphant moments Kitaro has ever created, a life-affirming, climactic, synth build-up only bolstered by the strings accompanying it.

In fact, there's no shortage of jaw-dropping moments on The Light of the Spirit. Wisely, some tracks still play to Kitaro's well-worn strengths and the typical stereotypes of New Age music such as "Moondance," which is still ingenious. Others, such as "Mysterious Encounter" and the title track merely use Kitaro's synthesizers as a backdrop to what the studio musicians are doing; blistering guitar solos (YES A KITARO GUITAR SOLO), wordless vocalizations, you name it. Thankfully, he still allows his synthesizers to create climaxes, though, which results in some blissful moments of euphoria.

On previous releases, Kitaro made his work seem effortless. Here, he's really pushing himself, and that's what makes The Light of the Spirit all the more brilliant; rather than allowing his work to stagnate, he went beyond his limits. While I'm sure the album would have been a success if he hadn't, it's exactly why lightning strikes yet again for Kitaro on The Light of the Spirit, re-affirming that he is indeed the musical genius he's been touted to be.

Recommended tracks:

Ninja Sex Party Strawberries and CreamSwans Children of God
4.2

MisterTornado
June 25th 2011

Sounds like something you'd hear for a nature program on VHS tape.

Zo0lz
June 25th 2011

Downloading this as we speak.

June 25th 2011

I guess I better check this out too.

June 25th 2011

That's a lot of 0's, oh man, I'm really liking the first track.

June 25th 2011

So far it sounds like the soundtrack to a really epic RPG.

June 25th 2011

Oh haha I didn't notice that, nice.

June 25th 2011

He sure knows his music.

June 25th 2011

Btw, you're right about how the album gets better.

June 25th 2011

It wasn't my favorite tbh, but yeah it's great.

June 25th 2011

I think the self-titled song was my favorite, it just kept building.

June 25th 2011

Review really tells me nothing at all

Digging: Hyperdub - Hyperdub 10.4

June 25th 2011

I said there were synthesizers, guitar solos, wordless vocalizations, and that it was awesome. That's all you need to know. I also threw the term "New Age" in there which should be pretty indicative of what to expect.

That really doesn't narrow it down at all! In fact, almost the complete opposite

Also, I'm not being pessimistic at all. What is it with kids today and not knowing the meaning of things??

June 25th 2011

I was basically trying not to be redundant here as I already described Kitaro's sound in my Astral Voyage review. I also said that this was a progression from his earlier works because he let the studio musicians take the forefront rather than working alone, etc. etc. etc.

Okay, but you have to treat each piece separately. I'm not going to read a review only to be told that if I want to know what the album sounds like I have to go and read another review. Always assume that the reader is completely ignorant of the artist(s) in question and take it from there

June 25th 2011

The writing isn't bad at all, but after reading it I don't have a clear description at all of what this is. I'm not saying go and change it but maybe just keep that in mind for the future. Even just a simple line like "this is a___ band who incorporate elements of ___ and ___ into their music"

MisterTornado
June 25th 2011

Ladies and gentlemen, that's why you don't argue with Deviant.

botb
June 26th 2011

used to listen to this guy all the time. really great stuff.

June 26th 2011

Really need to check this guy out eventually.

June 26th 2011

omg listened to the song that you posted in the beginning
rules