Alkaline Trio/Hot Water Music
Alkaline Trio/Hot Water Music Split

by davybum69 USER (2 Reviews)
November 25th, 2005 | 18 replies | 2,795 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

After touring together on the successful and socially conscious Plea for Peace tour, Alkaline Trio and Hot Water Music have once again combined forces, this time for a split release of unprecedented magnitude. Chicago natives Alkaline Trio pick up where their first Vagrant Records release From Here to Infirmary left off, offering a dose of pop influenced punk rock enveloped in the shadow of death and despair with slivers of light penetrating the seams to tender a glimmer of hope and consolation. All that and a Hot Water Music cover as well. Gainesville, Florida favorites, Hot Water Music are still hot off of their recent Epitaph Records release A Flight and a Crash. With their contribution, which includes 2 Alkaline Trio covers, the band treads on familiar ground, churning out the type of raw and intensely passionate songs that have helped make them one of the most beloved bands around the globe. Both band's contributions are brand new and exclusive to this release. (Taken from www.interpunk.com.)

This Split starts off with the Alkaline Trio portion, and for this they contribute 3 tracks, 2 new ones and one cover. Alkaline Trio is one of my favorite bands, so I knew I would like there songs on here. Well hereís what I thought.

Alkaline Trio is...

Matt Skiba - Guitar, Vocals
Dan Andriano - Bass, Vocals
Derek Grant - Drums

1. Queen of Pain Ė This isnít just the best Alkaline Trio song on here, itís the best song on here by far. It starts with a really good guitar riff with a backing riff and goes into like a pull off slide type thing. Mattís voice is awesome, and so are his lyrics. This is one of Alkaline Trioís best songs ever. (10/10)

2. While Youíre Waiting Ė Starts out kind of slow and speeds up with these random things being said in the background. Goes into a verse with no guitar, and then the next time around it throw random notes in here and there. It also has a really catchy chorus, Mattís sings something about dying but itís kind of like happy. Good solid song. (8/10)

3. Rooftops Ė Hereís AK3ís Hot Water Music cover, and itís quite good. Starts outs a little weird and goes into a palm muted verse. Then goes in to the chorus with Matt and Dan both singing and Matt kind of yelling which sounds cool. Iíve heard the original or this but if itís anything thing like this I may have to check it out. (8/10)

Well now we come to a band Iím not real familiar with, Iíve heard 2 songs by these guys, one was on Punk-o-Rama 7 and one was on the Tony Hawkís Underground video game and if Iím not mistaken I hated both of them. So with this be any different for me or do these guys just suck lets see.

Hot Water Music isÖ

Jason Black Ė Bass
Chuck Ragan Ė Vocals/Guitar
Chris Wollard ĖVocals/Guitar
George Rebelo Ė Drums

4. God Deciding Ė As soon as I heard this I liked it. Itís the best Hot Water Music song on hear. Starts out really odd sounding and slows down for the verse. The vocals in the chorus are perfect with there lead singer singing and then the backing vocals just make it great. A big surprise for me but this song is awesome. (10/10)

5. Russian Roulette Ė Starts out with acoustic guitar, and the other instruments fade in really nice. Itís got some muted guitar and some really good singing. I also really like the guitar riffs in the later verses. Very good song. (8/10)

6. Radio Ė Here we come to the first cover, and it has nothing on the original. One thing I like is that they use 2 guitars, and therefore they try a lot of new things. I donít think the singing sounds right either. Itís not great and like I said isnít near as good as the original, but itís a new twist on an old favorite. (7/10)

7. Bleeder Ė This is an acoustic cover of Bleeder,and again has nothing on the original, and I first of all think it would be better if it wasnít acoustic. Its not that itís bad but it just sounds to calm and doesnít catch the energy the original. So it gets a little boring, but itís still ok because it is Bleeder after all. (7/10)

Best Tracks:
-Queen of Pain
-God Deciding

While this is only 7 tracks it clocks in right under 24 minutes long, and thatís pretty long for an EP. IMO thatís worth 10 dollars or so because these are all decent songs, but even if you donít have the money or want to just check it out, www.jadetree.com is freely distributing MP3s of Queen of Pain and God Deciding. Which are the 2 biggest reasons to buy this and both are 2 of the best tracks either band have ever recorded, and I highly recommend anyone that reads this should listen to those 2 songs if you havenít already.

All in all this is really good, I was really surprised with all the songs, especially the Hot Water Music ones. I hope you enjoyed reading my review, and itís my second review so itís not very good.

November 25th 2005

i've heard queen of pain (easily one of the best Alk3 songs) and god deciding, which was pretty good too. Two great bands, gotta get my hands on this.

I'm thinking the radio cover would be interesting too?

Nice review btw!

Chilly-Bean-Bop
November 25th 2005

I've been waiting for a review for this!! I hate HWM's cover of Bleeder and Radio, though I love God Deciding. Alkaline Trio did superb with Queen of Pain. I've heard HWM's version of Rooftops, so I imagine that I would like Alkaline Trio's version.

Kick ass review.

davybum69
November 25th 2005

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

Storm In A Teacup
November 25th 2005

This is an average review, as for A3, I love 'em.

November 26th 2005

just heard HWM's radio cover, i thought it was pretty good actually. the multiple singers and guitars gives another side to it. pretty good!

Chilly-Bean-Bop
November 26th 2005

I hate Chuck's raspy, rough voice. It just doesn't fit the song.

davybum69
November 26th 2005

I agree the singing was what I didn't like.

Alk3BC4
December 29th 2005

While I agree that the HWM version will never live up to the original, I do feel it can hold its own. Matt's vocals have this sort of hint of depression to them, while the "I just drank a bottle of whiskey and had two packs of smokes" vocals of HWM give off more of an angry vibe. I remember the Plea for Peace tour; Matt and Dan played an acoustic set, then as HWM were setting up Matt started playing Radio, and they ended up with the amazing rendition of Radio. Something I'll never forget. But I do feel you can't compare the HWM version to ALK3...you have to try and separate the two and appreciate the differences. One of the best songs of all time.

kno_kontrol
May 13th 2006

hmmm, I like Alk3, but Im not so hot on Hot Water Music. I may have to check this out.

June 1st 2006

i've had this for a while now and i've been listening to it loads, and had time to form my opinions on each one thoroughly... and i can honestly say that i think every song on here deserves 10/10. i may love both bands already, but i can't say that for all of their other songs, so this opinion isn't due to my own bias towards the bands. there's just this really, i dunno, magical feeling, i get when i listen to this. and as for the covers, i've heard all the originals, and i think the covers only add to the songs, or throw a different spin on them, but all are as good as the originals, if not better.

i know a lot of people won't agree with me on this, but i'd seriously consider this one of the best recordings of the last 5 (possibly even 10) years.

January 10th 2007

This album is awsome, but if i had to decide on which band covers whos better it would have to be HWM.

Though each band covers each others songs well, Hot Water Music manage to unlock a hidden emotion in Skibas song which his voice and guitar just could not do.

Hot Water's voices on Radio and Bleeder are also a lot more suitable. I listened to the Alkaline origionals, and i felt that they were a bore to listen to compared to HWMs versions.

January 10th 2007

i think both bands improve on the originals on this EP.

like drunken third says, hwm make the trio songs more interesting (the vocal harmonies in radio do it for me every time!), but also, trio add some speed and raw energy to rooftops that makes the mood of the music fit much better with the lyrical ideas of getting up and grabbing life with both hands.

Agreed Spoon

kalkal50
March 7th 2008

i can't get over how good Queen of Pain is.

Intransit
March 7th 2008

One of the best splits ever with probably one of the best songs from each band.

Kiran
July 31st 2008

Awesome split.

First two tracks from each band are their best.

April 5th 2011

Best thing Alkaline Trio have ever put their name to imo.