Plum
Hoax

by Greg Fisher STAFF
June 20th, 2011 | 9 replies | 5,400 views

Review Summary: "Hoax" sounds very much organic and in line with a wide range of music styles that often go far beyond noise rock.

Noise rock doesn't belong to the most popular music genres in Poland. That's why, Plum's new release comes as a breath of fresh air in the Polish underground music scene. The band relies on the traditional powerhouse trio formula making use of heavily distorted guitar riffs, constantly pounding bass lines and precise drumming. While their previous three releases showed an ongoing improvement in terms of raw noise rock, “Hoax” embraces much wider spectrum of influences. Thus, it marks the breakthrough for Plum who revitalize their style in the process.

“Hoax” pulsates with energy originating from frequent walls of sound that are built upon an organic cooperation between the musicians. There's no place for improvisation though. The album's soundscape feels precisely constructed, with numerous music styles interwoven with one another. The title track perfectly showcases the eclecticism of the record. It abounds in excellent desert rock riffs which are combined with The Jesus Lizard-inspired turmoil and progressive time signature alternations. “Patch,” on the other hand, is way more direct. Introducing an obsessively heavy, yet infectious bass-generated wall of sound into the game, it's one of the most notorious highlights of the record.

Later on, Plum tend to implement more commercial alternative rock elements, which results in much mellower and dreamier compositions such as Sonic Youth-echoing “Touch” and a playful punkish ballad, “Nobody Knows.” No matter which music path they choose, every composition sounds extremely fluid and focused. There are plenty of expertly executed allusions to heavy noise rock of Unsane origin in bombastic “Retarded Queen” as well as soothing blues-inspired guitar riffing in genre-shifting instrumental “It's A Must.” What's more, the band even dares to experiment with some freaky drum'n'bass in “Thread” and at the beginning of an epic closer, “Beast.”

All in all, Hoax is a concise album filled with a wide range of influences that range from intense noise rock to psychedelic passages and catchy indie tunes. Even if almost everything on here sounds familiar, Plum have a knack for making the most of every note that is being played. That's chiefly due to their impressive musicianship and fine songwriting skills. I'm certain their next album will be even better.

Kimbra The Golden EchoDog Fashion Disco Sweet Nothings
So Slow DharaviMastodon Once More 'Round the Sun
Fire! Orchestra Enter!Ought More Than Any Other Day

June 20th 2011

I was genuinely surprised by this album.

You Know Buddy:

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

Metalstyles
June 20th 2011

Good review man, seems like this is another album I need to put on my list.

June 20th 2011

Your link is a good song although I'm too proggy for that kind of music these days.

June 21st 2011

Thanks guys. I really think you will enjoy this one. Oddly enough Jethro, some songs on this one are very prog-oriented, e.g. the first track and the two instrumentals.

July 15th 2011

Album is not bad at all. Not exactly my thing, but still deserves either a 3.5 or a 4.

July 15th 2011

Yeah. Everyone who's even remotely into noise rock should give it a spin. One of my favorites of the year so far. And I'm glad you are kind of digging it, jethro.

July 15th 2011

Trying to get into The Ex these days and I must confess they're better with each listen, so I'm slowly but surely becoming a noise freak haha.

July 15th 2011

The Ex are excellent. No doubts about it. Noise freak! Sounds cool!

August 3rd 2011

Well. I have to say it. As regards instrumentation, this is my favorite album of the year so far.