Limbonic Art
Moon In The Scorpio

by Adrian USER (22 Reviews)
June 20th, 2011 | 37 replies | 7,562 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Combines the best of symphonic black metal, atmospheric black metal and true black metal into a passage to oblivion and madness.

Moon in the Scorpio is easily one of the best albums in the band’s discography. The albums is able to capture a terrifying, eerie, cold atmosphere. The song lengths are closer to atmospheric black metal, each being about 8 minutes in length. These long songs completely seduce the listener into an astral journey of psychedelic insanity. Repetition is an element that is used to the band’s advantage here, with the menacing instrumentation. How exactly does the band manage to use repetition to its advantage, you may ask? Well, for one the magic of this album wouldn’t exist without it, it as a necessary element to bring the listener into a long trance. The melodies never become too repetitive in a way that they would be irritating, instead, they also shift as the songs move into a different state. In addition, in some cases it’s the vocals that change, instead of the overall melody.

Speaking about vocals, the album mainly uses distant, high-pitched screams that are at just the perfect volume, not too loud to take the center of attention and become a distraction, but also loud enough to be heard behind the wall of sound that the band creates. Think of Summoning and Profanum type of vocals, very emotional and fitting to the music. Apart from the main vocals, there are also some female vocals, although used very sparingly, as well as a few spoken lines. Finally there are some wailing screams, which are comparable to those in depressive black metal as well. But such an incredible piece of art would need a plethora of elements, additional to vocals.

The main sound comes from keyboards, they are the magical instrument that drives the album into oblivion. This instrument is also responsible for about half of the astral and distant atmosphere of the album. They are loud enough to stand their ground behind the distortion of the electric guitars and drive the music. The keyboards are the main instrument that guides all the others in the direction it wants. The guitars play a fuzzy distortion, similar to its contemporaries in the second-wave of black metal, producing a wall of sound responsible for the remaining half of its atmosphere.

What makes the album shine as a gem in its genre is its unique approach to the sound itself, although it is symphonic black metal it also has many influences from atmospheric black metal. This album is also true black metal mixed with a heavy sound of keyboards and psychedelic elements. This is the Pink Floyd of Black metal, so to speak. Only the insane minds of Morfeus and Daemon would be able to come up with a masterpiece like this one, capturing the best of true black metal, symphonic black metal and atmospheric black metal. This is one of the most interesting albums of black metal, and definitely a symphonic black metal masterpiece.

Limbonic Art PhantasmagoriaGraveworm Fragments of Death
Darzamat In the Flames of Black ArtAgathodaimon Phoenix
Chthonic Takasago ArmyEnslavement of Beauty Mere Contemplations

June 20th 2011

For those who hate symphonic black metal, this is THE ALBUM to listen to. Either this or In Abhorrence Dementia. Surprised this doesn't have a review yet, such a masterpiece. I recommend it to all Black metal fans, or to those with open minds to keyboards in black metal.

June 20th 2011

I could have made the review longer, but I wanted to try a shorter, more concise version. No background about the band though.

Spec
June 20th 2011

Woah. I have never heard of this. Will check it out once my Opeth spree is over.

Digging: Rinoa - An Age Among Them

June 20th 2011

This album is given a lot of praise in the metal archives. Definitely check this out, this is my all time favorite album, and the only one I have given a 5.

fsharptrit0ne
June 20th 2011

Not much into symphonic black metal, but will check this out

June 20th 2011

For those who hate symphonic black metal, this is THE ALBUM to listen to.

wat

Digging: Ulver - Bergtatt

Hyperion1001
June 20th 2011

I've known of these guys forever but never really given them a good listen. I know this is a pretty universally hailed album though.

Digging: Octex - Idei Lahesna

June 20th 2011

Crysis, I meant this is the album to listen to because it is much better than Cradle of Filth and the rest. It might change your opinion.

June 20th 2011

That's true and I agree with you there, I simply read your statement differently. I'll stick with Emperor and be content.

Acanthus
June 20th 2011

This sounds really entertaining, I might have to go get this.

Essence
June 20th 2011

For those who hate symphonic black metal, Nokturnal Mortum's Goat Horns is the album to listen to

fix'd

June 21st 2011

Hawks, you need to check this out if you haven't. I'd also recommend it to fireaboveicebelow.

woah woah woah crysis

2.5?

there's absolutely nothing average about this album imo

it's the best symphonic black metal album I've ever heard

but that's okay :]

June 21st 2011

Friend of mine loves this album and showed it to me but I think it's boring as hell.

mariothehedgehog
June 21st 2011

there are loads better sbm albums (in the nightside eclipse, anthems to the welkin at dusk, stormblast, lunar poetry, goat horns, etc.)

June 21st 2011

oh well :] i love this album so, so much

June 21st 2011

Yeah I'm with Angel on this one, with Empror/early Nokturnal Mortum around there is no need for any more symphonic bm

June 21st 2011

heard all of them, don't like them anywhere near as much as this. this is pretty much the epitome of symphonic black metal for me, the atmosphere is perfect, the keys are perfect... the playing is simplistic but does the job. somehow I also really love the drum machine, too. :]

Hyperion1001
June 21st 2011

...and Oceans second album and Kataxu have always been my favorites.

Hawks
June 21st 2011

Heard this years ago, but don't remember it at all. As other people are saying, I can't imagine this ever beating something like In the Nightside Eclipse, but I'll definitely give it a go sometime soon.

Digging: Sun Worship - Elder Giants