Appalachian Winter
Silence Before the Great Mountain Wind

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (196 Reviews)
June 20th, 2011 | 27 replies | 4,880 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With inspiration drawn from the environment around Appalachian Winter, Klyne presents the listener with an interesting listen.

Black metal has never looked so natural and with song titles such as ‘Lost Amongst Endless Snow’ and ‘Into the Abode of Wolves’ listeners better believe it. This one man band from Pennsylvania displays many aspects of a wonderful album. Atmospheric and eerie with switching tempo lines should keep many ‘metalers’ interested. From a first listen our ears are exposed to many aspects ranging from folk like influenced sections reinforced by acoustic-styled passages (as heard in “Lost Amongst Endless Snow”) and rhythmic vocal patterns that complement the music so well. Appalachian Winter’s recording is also important to mention as while mostly clear and crisp it is not exactly perfect; this also helps the raw and natural feel to the record reinforcing again the natural themes being presented here.

Comparing positively track to track is the balance between familiar trends and the albums actual diversity. Yes there is a steady array of a black metal bands instrumentation i.e. the distorted high gain guitars, the extensive drum kit and its use of double bass work, deep growling vocal passages and a steady whilst somewhat hidden bass line. Positively when adding to the listening experience there is piano interludes that can be found during points of ‘Silence Before the Great Mountain Wind’ and monastery like chanting throughout the album that attracts the listeners softer side and adds to the albums diversity. When clocking in at just under an hour Silence Before The Great Mountain Wind gives listeners enough to keep listeners satisfied whilst not creating a boredom that appears on the latter half of the album. Listeners will notice some symphonic aspects to some tracks displaying the immense talent that this single man contains and his ability to create tasteful songs on a highly consistent level.

Noticeably the album is not all speed and crushing guitar riffs. There is a great balance here, and this is not just found in the interludes and chanting vocals. The tempo changes ultimately reinforce the theme; winter is slow, harsh and full of change.

Some aspects of this release do have a negative effect on the album. This can be found mainly in the clean and melodic vocal sections. While this is not helped by the quality of the recording, the high pitched cleans do leave something to be desired. The only sections were tracks tend to drag on include the acoustically strummed interlude sections where for the most part they sound much the same.

After listening to some very prominent themes throughout this record, listeners should fully understand a “beautiful” side to black metal whilst balancing the fast and the heavy. There is a lot to listen for and some things you may not expect. An album with a whole lot of highs and very few low points gives the listener a very interesting and enjoyable listen. Listeners should incorporate the theme into their personal listen to create a greater acceptance for the album simply because that was the way the music was written. This is an album to be thoroughly enjoyed on a regular basis even with its dark themes and slightly less than great production.

Mastodon Once More 'Round the SunMayhem Esoteric Warfare
Architects Lost Forever // Lost TogetherKauan Pirut
Miserable Failure HopeBong Stoner Rock
3.3

June 20th 2011

I'm very surprised that this is next to unnoticed, and has no review. Let's fix that shall we?

June 20th 2011

I liked it (review), might have to get this come morning.

Digging: Die Sektor - Applied Structure In A Void

June 20th 2011

Thanks Acanthus, i'm planning on doing one of the other albums too.

June 20th 2011

I've been feeling like listening to something different (not electronic) and have been delving back into my few BM albums and such, figure I might give this a go.

June 20th 2011

It might not be something you fully expect to hear coming from a band like this.

June 20th 2011

True, change is nice though especially when implemented correctly in the genre.

June 20th 2011

If you get around to checking these guys out, have a look at their other stuff too. Production is a little better on the newer stuff.

Curse.
June 20th 2011

this review blows, what a fucking surprise

June 20th 2011

All well, at least i got a couple more ratings out of this before this thread went dead.

BodomThrashMachine
June 20th 2011

I disagree, review is quite good, as always. As for the music, I'm not sure how much I'd like this, not big on black metal and all... Still, good one, Ipod.

June 20th 2011

Give it a go Bodom, its no ordinary black metal.

This is kinda awkward

Yes there is a steady array of a black metal bands instrumentation i.e.

Yes, the usual black metal elements are all present.... or something like that, seeing as how you talk about instrumentation and then list vocals

The beginning of this is kinda strange; something like "To upset the constant onslaught of the jagged distortion (or whatever you wanna dream up) small moments of "............" and "............" appear that reveal a much softer and, ultimately, more diverse side to the artist" or some such nonsense

When clocking in at just under an hour

*while clocking in

Silence Before The Great Mountain Wind gives listeners enough to keep listeners

I'm sorry but this is horribly written

to create tasteful songs on a highly consistent level.

I thought the second half was boring?

Some aspects of this release do have a negative effect on the album.

Well I kinda doubt it's going to have a negative effect on any other album

The only sections were tracks

*where

Would you like me to go and sit out in the snow or perhaps enter the abode of the wolves?

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

June 20th 2011

At least its less than last time. Right?

June 20th 2011

There's the positive attitude!

I'll be honest with you though; I don't mind doing this but you're at what, 37 reviews now? These things should be sorting themselves out really

June 20th 2011

Even though ReturnToRock has about a million reviews that's essentially the same recycled dross full of errors and shudder-inducing faux pas'

June 20th 2011

Thanks Dev, i think it should be noted that i have only writing experience here on sputnik. My music theory training and that does not exactly cover grammar and such.

June 20th 2011

My only real writing experience is here

June 20th 2011

Ill get there Dev, don't lose hope

I'm hopelessly devout

June 20th 2011

At least I'm not doing albums with reviews already. Taking the advice of others, i take what i can on board. A bit by bit.