Indian Summer
Discography

by Richard Craig USER (120 Reviews)
June 19th, 2011 | 11 replies | 3,582 views

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Review Summary: this is the moment.

Though not as well-known or revered as some of their contemporaries, Indian Summer were arguably one of the most important emo bands of the ‘90’s. Despite the brevity of their existence, and the consequential scarcity of material they released, their near-perfect marriage between post-rock and emo helped shape a formula which would be imitated by a vast multitude of bands. Their overtly dynamic take on the genre paved the way for bands such as City of Caterpillar and Circle Takes the Square, and to a lesser extent, Envy, amongst others. Over the course of their nine track discography (released in 2002; also known as ‘Science 1994’) it is not hard to see how and why Indian Summer had such an effect – their discography is 35 minutes of flawlessly executed post-hardcore/emo characterised by dramatic dynamic shifts and thoughtful instrumentation.

Inevitably, the band’s extremely dynamic nature lends itself to cathartic moments which are littered throughout the collection – the wilfully spastic, frequent dynamic shifts in ‘Millimeter’ , or the delayed climax of ‘Reflections on Milkweed’, for example. Ultimately, this is what Indian Summer were all about: the build-up of tension followed by a cathartic release. However, to assume they relied on predictable, clichéd crescendos would be wrong. Rather, Indian Summer tend to employ more expansive song structures, using a series of faux-crescendos, generating continual anxiety before delivering overwhelming sections of crashing drums and flooring guitar riffs. This initial sense of unease is often expertly heightened by several methods: the repetition of a dissonant guitar riff in ‘Orchard’, or pinch harmonics fracturing the melodies in ‘Sugar Pill’. While the coarse teasing of most tracks is captivating and genuinely exciting, it is ultimately exceeded by the more simple structuring of a track like ‘Angry Son’ as it releases its warm waves of guitars following a build-up of soft hammer-ons and faint drumming.

Despite the abrupt nature of the individual tracks the collection itself has a rather fluid nature as common motifs unite the nine tracks: the fragility of the quiet sections; the glimpses of release followed by catharsis; and oddly, the use of jazz samples. The use of jazz samples is intriguing, and occasionally their impact seeps into the tracks themselves - ‘Touch the Wings of an Angel’ in particular shows a veiled, carefree jazz tone at times which intrigues and impresses in equal measure. Mostly however, Indian Summer stick to a formula of meticulously constructed build-ups centring on delicate guitars, brooding bass lines and feather-light drumming. Their flawless execution as instrumentalists is slightly stunted by comparatively poor lyricism however. Crudely formed sentences and a far too simplistic vocabulary mean lyrics are perhaps Indian Summer’s only major weakness. However, the passion with which they are delivered – whether it be an achingly fragile whisper or impassioned howl – more than makes up for this. Furthermore, that the band can negate the lyrics’ detrimental qualities with exquisite instrumentation is testament to the bands’ ability as musicians.

With the obvious weakness of the lyrics, Indian Summer’s musicianship is ultimately where they excel. No individual is noticeably more talented than another, though the emphasis lies understandably with the guitars, rather they form a solid, cohesive unit, stunningly adept at producing emotive passages of music. Commendably, Indian Summer avoid predictable song structures and consistently create a palpable sense of tension throughout their discography. Furthermore, the means by which they avoid this potential pitfall is praiseworthy in its own right – simple, yet captivating motifs continually blossoming whilst teasing the listener with false build-ups. By the end of the collection it becomes apparent Indian Summer were something special and could have had an even more indelible impact on the emo genre had they only lasted more than a year!

leer SPRINGBREAKNOPARENTSThe Lawrence Arms Metropole
You Blew It! Keep Doing What You’re DoingHammock Oblivion Hymns
Warpaint The FoolThe Gaslight Anthem Handwritten
PuddleSplasher (4.5)
Putting the art in cathartsis...

June 19th 2011

As far as I'm aware their discography is actually called 'Science, 1994'. I posted it under here because the other review (which is very good by the way) is under 'Discography', as are all of the ratings.

North0House2
June 19th 2011

Ahhhh yeah, I have 'Science, 1994". It's wonderful. I've always been confused if this Indian Summer and the one I have is the same, because I never saw "Science" listed. It's a wonderful album.

Great review. You reminded me I had this, I'm gonna listen to it again.

Digging: Amen Dunes - Love

North0House2
June 19th 2011

Hey, just thought I'd put their bandcamp release up, it's free anyway:

The track listing is entirely different, but they're the same songs nonetheless.

MalleusMaleficarum

Great album

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

June 19th 2011

thanks, Ty. I forgot I had this until recently - I'd forgotten just how good it is as well. Apparently they never officially titled the songs themselves and that's why multiple names exist.

EyesWideShut

essential.

Enotron
June 19th 2011

yeaaaah sam glad you like this

RagingStorm

nice

FilupLees
June 20th 2011

The album information for this is all weird. It is called Science 1994, the tracks were never titled by the band, and it was released in something like 2002, not 1994.

Oh, and I have no idea where someone got that album cover, I have a copy sitting next to me and it looks nothing like that.

June 21st 2011

I uploaded one when I posted my review, but it didn't look the one being shown now... I posted the yellow/beige one with the black tree and 'Indian Summer' on it. Weird.
I only posted this review under the 'Discography' page because the other review was under it, as were all of the ratings.

Winesburgohio
June 21st 2011

Kinda ho-hum but the only album i've ever heard that sounds even remotely like Spiderland

Digging: Gordon Ashworth - S.T.L.A.