System of a Down
System of a Down

by James Grant USER (14 Reviews)
June 17th, 2011 | 43 replies | 5,486 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An album SOAD will never surpass.

For years, System of a Down have released solid album after solid album, bringing something relatively new and fresh each time round. However, they've never been able to match the performance on their debut. Sure, experimentation is good, but sometimes its best just to stick to what you know you can do well; which is something SOAD succeed emphatically at in this album.

The key to success throughout this LP is its aggressive approach to most songs. 'Suite-Pee' and 'Soil' would be great examples of this as the pace of these songs is almost unrelenting. Even though Daron Malakian's riffs may be more complex in newer SOAD releases, he keeps them simple and intricate on this album. However, this works is SOAD's favour as the low-toned riffs create quite a brutal and psychotic atmosphere. To add to the positives, Serj's vocals on this LP are unlike any other SOAD release. He switches effortlessly from melodic singing to shouting and then to growling, but switches from one to another in perfect fashion. In particular, his death growls are fantastically executed, especially on the track 'Mind' as the atmosphere is very eerie and quite serious, hence why Tankian's growls fit the style of the song perfectly.

Another advantage of this album is that it virtually has no filler tracks. SOAD drag you from one song to the next and each song in its own right becomes memorable. Although the album does contain many heavy songs, there are others such as 'Cubert' and 'Mind' which take a different approach. 'Mind' begins with a very foreboding bass riff at a slow pace, the song stays at this pace for quite some time before exploding into a realm of mayhem.

There really are no real negatives to this album, other than the fact that 'Cubert' is quite a forgettable and unnecessary track, but most albums do tend to have at least one or two below-par tracks. The musicianship is impeccable and the lyrics fit the purpose of every song quite brilliantly.

To conclude, SOAD have made an album which stands tall in the Nu-Metal genre, and they have still failed to surpass this gem. If you are a SOAD fan and haven't heard this album......where the hell have you been?!

Recommended Tracks:

Suite-Pee
Sugar
War
Mind
PLUCK

But really, you need to hear all of them!

Nile Annihilation of the WickedOpeth Deliverance
Cult of Luna Somewhere Along the HighwaySlayer World Painted Blood
The Dillinger Escape Plan Ire WorksCancer Bats Dead Set On Living

June 17th 2011

Quite a quick write up, had to review this! Favourite Nu-Metal album of all time.

CrackeTheSkull
June 17th 2011

These guys aren't Nu-Metal. Never have been, really.

They have a unique sound to them that can't be pinned down to any specific genre... besides generalizations like "Rock" or "Metal."

Deviant.
June 17th 2011

However, since 1998 they have failed to release an album which lives up to their debut LP.

This is kind of a strange sentence; the way you have it worded would normally infer that you were talking about a specific album in their catalog as opposed to their debut. I think it would read much better as "However, they've never been able to match the performance on their debut" and eliminate the "since 1998" part

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

June 17th 2011

Ill change that man, it kinda feels like Nu-Metal but it hard to generalise like you say. Do correct me on any other errors as i wrote this rather quickly.

June 17th 2011

Love SOAD, one of my fave Nu-Metal artists if you wanna tag them with the 'Nu' prefix. Suite-Pee, Sugar and Peephole are my faves off this. Toxicity beats this, imo. I second CrackeTheSkull - SOAD are too unique to be accurately categorised.

June 17th 2011

Toxicity is kinda bland for me, its not bad though.

June 17th 2011

It took my a good few listens before I truly got into it, but when I did I played it so much. Tbh, i think Toxicity has more high points than this record. I love this too, but you can't beat the triple-bill of Chop-Suey, Toxicity and Ariel’s.

EDIT: I'm in the mood to listen to this - haven't heard it in ages.

NocteDominum
June 17th 2011

Ah, back in the day. So many memories.

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Toxicity is still my favourite SOAD album but this rules too.

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

June 17th 2011

Listening to this right now - forgot how good 'Spiders' is. 2nd best SOAD album, imo.

Puzzles
June 17th 2011

Fucking loved this album when I first got it. You've actually reminded me to give it another listen, which I will in due course. I thought there was alot of filler on Toxicity, so this more or less wins it for me. I still like all of SOAD's records, though.

Mordecai.

shit fucking rules

SCREAM!
June 17th 2011

Listening to Wintersun for the first time in a long time and loving it

Might do these guys next

NocteDominum

Sweet morty

June 17th 2011

The best thing about Toxicity is Serj's vocal performance.

MO

Easily their best album.

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

dimsim3478
June 17th 2011

The difference between the demos and the songs on this album that they eventually became is baffling.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants