Chroma Key
You Go Now

1.5
very poor

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is one aspect of his resume that should keep the album cover intact to keep people interested.

Throughout his tenure with Dream Theater and his flexibility with movie scores and side projects, Kevin Moore shows a consistent brilliance with creating sheer atmospheric beauty. However, in his second Chroma Key endeavor he suddenly takes a different route by applying a foggy palette with an array of beats. There's not much in the way of harmonic approach on "You Go Now," and among it's ambient background fitting atmosphere is a consistent amount of jarring dialogue that only seems to truly benefit his upbeat number Astronaut Down. It simply takes too long to locate the melodic and harmonic moods of You Go Now. When You Drive and Subway are possibly the worst by relying on excessive quotes and sound effects, making them feel more like an intro and outro placed awkwardly in the middle of the action. Moore's instruments are pieced together flawlessly, but there is little memorable material compared "Dead Air for Radios" and the gushing Colorblind. From the mind that thought up the depressive expression behind Space-Dye Vest, it all seems abandoned in lieu of a more comfortable life. There isn't anything to upset Moore or provoke his creative flow, and therefore his stream is all dried up. It's not that a guitar would liven things up, but rather that Moore would approach a more ambitious project with others than playing off of himself.

The drooling and mindless Get Back In The Car is firm Moore’s bloated nature, even if calm. Another Permanent Address is what should have started the album due to it's pacing. The singing and ambiance all fits together, although compact, it works. There is something very unnerving with the album's astronaut theme, but through time, it makes more sense. Sure, but we can get enough of the ambient space after the first 15 minutes, but be patient.m As much as I do admire Kevin Moore for his work in Dream Theater, this album feels slightly disconnected from his other Chroma Key material. It's far from his work with early-90's era Dream Theater and it provides few memorable choruses when the music is layered on light piano and ambient synths with a repetitive percussion beat. It doesn't seem to go very far from where it starts. If this sounds too hard to jump into, start with the riveting Astronaut Down. The song perfectly matches the “space station” themed samples with a lyrical substance that matches Space-Dye Vest, and accomplishes the goal of the essence of the album.

No matter how genius Kevin Moore truly is, his prowess is surely is not applied strongly here. There aren't even any fills in the drum beats like his previous albums. There's little in the thought of a musical color, and there is hardly even any difference between the grey moods presented.

Recommended:
You Go Now
Astronaut Down

Dream Theater AwakeHole Live Through This
Dream Theater OctavariumDream Theater A Dramatic Turn of Events
Primus Green NaugahydeQueensryche Empire

That makes 20

June 15th 2011

Damn, man. I thought we were friends, but fuck you and this review!

Seriously, though, there is a lot of music out there that kind of does what Kevin does here. The 'randomness' of some of the vocal lines and the samples is supposed to ensure that the soothing ambience never lulls the listener to sleep. It's an effective way of keeping a listener on their toes despite the mellow nature of the music. Ambient artists do it all the time. Also, I don't think the vocals were supposed to be any more important than any other part of the music, that's why they're mixed down. Anyway, it is a well-written review and that's what the question asks, so have a pos.

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

June 15th 2011

well this was extremely difficult for me to write

June 15th 2011

I hate Graveyard Mountain Home. I thought it was boring as shit ;)

WTF man

June 15th 2011

I like the direction of his first two albums. Graveyard was too abstract and minimalistic. There are too many bands that do that sound better than he did.

Voivod
June 16th 2011

I strongly disagree with the rating.

The album is excellent and very different from the debut.

Just like Graveyard Mountain Home is great and equally different from this.

Will comment on the review later in the day.

Digging: Troldhaugen - Obzkure Anekdotez For Maniakal Massez

June 16th 2011

oh joy, now im really gonna feel like shit. maybe i should just change the review, because I actually do like it.

Voivod
June 18th 2011

The review is well written, but i can't help but think that you could say the same things using less paragraphs/words.

btw, I'm spinning this right now, it is still excellent.