Vektor
Black Future

by Gigglesdemon USER (31 Reviews)
June 13th, 2011 | 179 replies | 19,010 views

Review Summary: I have seen Vektor’s future, and it is actually bright, not black.

The first thing I noticed when I picked up the album was the cover. The logo and overall cover design is highly reminiscent of a Voivod cover. Immediately, I began to think of them as perhaps a Voivod-esque band, one that sounds nearly like them, worshipping Voivod’s every move. While I thought it was cool that Voivod was getting the respect it deserves from the metal community, I didn’t think this album would be all that great, despite the hype my metal friends had been giving me.

The first track proved me a liar. While there is a clear Voivod influence here, with fantastic jazz influenced riffs and overall atmosphere, Vektor throws everything and the kitchen sink on this album. There are some very black metal-esque chords and riffs, particularly off the spectacularly spooky Forests of Legend, and there are even vaguely video game sounding elements, especially off Dark Nebula. The vocalist, David DiSanto, sounds like Chuck Schuldiner of Death fame, except his vocals are even more throat destroying, nearing black metal shrieks at time. They also take a good dose of progressive metal and swirl it into the mix, creating massive songs with extraordinary songwriting. The aforementioned Forests of Legends and Dark Nebula are ten-minute plus songs, and the closer, Accelerating Universe is a thirteen and a half minute song! However, these songs never drag or become boring due to the ever evolving song structures and fantastic musicianship.

Despite all these fantastic elements coming together, the pure thrash at times, the cool black metal vocals and riffs, what really took me aback was the sheer skill of each of the individual members. David also handles guitar duties, shredding back and forth Erik Nelson, each trying to outdo the other, but it comes together beautifully, creating both sheer intensity and technicality, tempered with a good dose of melody. Frank Chin’s manic and pounding drumming drives the songs forward at an intense tempo, and Blake Anderson’s bass manages to keep up with all of it with extraordinarily robust bass lines that put nearly every thrash bassist to shame.

These are the two things that make Vektor great, the individual talent of each of the members and their ability to meld all these influences into one distinct sound, one that is specifically Vektor’s. Any other recent thrash band should move over, these are the kings of modern thrash. Any other thrash album that has come out in recent years, whether created by old stalwarts of the genre or aspiring new kids, should hold this as the gold standard of modern thrash.

Pros:
-Fantastic Dual Guitars
-Great Harsh Vocals
-Robust Bass
-Great Drums

Cons:
-David’s vocals might put off some listeners

Recommended Tracks:

4.3
comebacktome (5)
m/ hard...

psychosisholocausto (4.5)
A near-perfect debut from thrash revival act Vektor that succeeds on every level and delivers a barr...

Outer Isolation

Gigglesdemon
June 13th 2011

Recently picked up this album and fell in love with it. Any fans of tech/prog thrash should check it out, (*cough* Voivod, I'm looking at you *cough*) and as always, CC welcome!

TheSpirit

This sounds intreresting

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

balcaen
June 13th 2011

i'm always kind of uneasy on thrash but you're making me want to check out this one.
i'm a pretty big fan of short review even if i don't write mine like that, it'd be more comprehensive if you formulated the pros and cons into your previous thoughts on the album and left the recommended tracks part out (since you already talked about them a bit)

otherwise it's deece. have a pos, man.

FelixCulpa
June 13th 2011

Good review man. Been a while since I listened to a thrash metal album but I'm gonna give this one a shot.

Ssssssss
June 14th 2011

listening to once song, actually sounds really good

alachlahol

decent

Voivod
June 14th 2011

This is a great record, but the 5/5 rating is way too generous for this.

Ok, these guys can shred easily, but they systematically tend to overload their songs.

That is what turns me off about these guys.

Ok, Voivod did it exceptionally in Killing Technology as well, but in their 2nd album, Vektor aren't evenly effective, at least in my book.

Don't be surprised if they go into the "less is more" doctrine in their next album.

As for the Voivod influences, indeed they do exist, but they don't define Vektor's sound by any means.

pos.

Digging: Mekong Delta - In A Mirror Darkly

DetJohnKimble
June 14th 2011

Was just about to review this! Fantastic album, not a 5 in my book but still one of the most effective and fresh sounding thrash albums to come out in years.

demigod!
June 14th 2011

omg this album rules so hard

Gigglesdemon
June 14th 2011

Hmmm, I thought you'd enjoy this album a lot more, Voivod. I just really liked their overall sound, but, hey, to each his own.

Voivod
June 15th 2011

@ Gigglesdemon

As i said, the album is great, i expected much more from them, though.

Edit:

A typo:

sounds like Chuck Schindler of Death fame

Schuldiner

balcaen
July 27th 2011

so i'm still uneasy on thrash, but did enjoy this a fair bit and will be returning to it. love forests of legends.

FelixCulpa
July 27th 2011

^ Agree completely.

Madbutcher3
August 11th 2011

Starting to fade on me, the tail end of the album isn't too great, but I still think the first half is pretty darn decent.

iFghtffyrdmns
August 11th 2011

god sent me a vision of the future
in a dream on a saturday night
and i see no reason to celebrate

DoubtGin

best-rated album of 2009 on rym next to Crack the Skye

never bothered to check this out, but sounds like some good thrash

Ovrot
December 17th 2011

damn straight

DeadBeat

Album is incredible

yea its good

JamieTwort
December 22nd 2011

Still need to listen to these guys.

Digging: Benoit Pioulard - Hymnal Remixes