Stone Sour
Audio Secrecy

good

by jitteryzeitgeist USER (36 Reviews)
June 12th, 2011 | 7 replies

Review Summary: Modern rock that is definitely recorded on a compact disc.

QUICK WRITEUP:

If there's one thing that's always bugged me, it's that Corey "From Slipknot" Taylor has one of my absolute favorite singing voices and styles in music, but succeeds in staying in acts that I can only listen to for short periods of time. At least these days. In my younger days, I would jam out to the first Slipknot record with reckless abandon. I was also high a lot, so that may have had something to do with it.

And so it is with Stone Sour and their latest effort, Audio Secrecy, and Taylors wit and lyrical ability even seem to have dulled with their (even more) toned down, made-for-Clear-Channel effort. In the face of what seems to be an ever-saturating and homogenizing sorta-metal and stripper rock scene that populates modern radio, Stone Sour have fallen a bit back in the pack with this disc. I'm not coming outright and saying there's nothing worth listening to on Audio Secrecy, and in fact there's quite a few things here that are quite good, but it's not a stellar album by any metric.

If you've purchased a modern rock album any time in the last five years, you know what to expect here: Big, singalong choruses. Crunch in the verse. Interspersed melodies. Some good riffs.

In short, it's better than Five Finger Death Punch, but you're not going to have to tie your shoes on tight in fear of your socks being blown off.

Godsmack 1000hpIn This Moment Blood
Clutch Earth RockerNothing More Nothing More
Soilwork The Living InfiniteKillswitch Engage Disarm the Descent
3.1
good
Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
Stone Sour further develop their clean, radio friendly rock sound giving the mainstream rock fans so...

Sputnik's official false metal authority (3.5)
Audio Secrecy is a very admirable effort from a band trying to soldify their identity....

Peter K. Mark (2.5)
Stone Sour succeed once more in proving they're no Slipknot in terms of quality. Not by a long shot....

Jeremy Bentham (3)
Stone Sour branch off from Come What(ever) May and solidify their radio rock sound....

iFghtffyrdmns

#65 for 2010
what the

awesome review

jitteryzeitgeist
June 12th 2011

Yeah. With better bands like 6 A.M. or even Alter Bridge in the same vein of modern rock, the fact
this is ranked so high kind of makes me sick a little.

nice review

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

thumbcrusher
June 12th 2011

album is pretty good for what it is, but their first album is much more interesting

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only by Fire

xenocide.

"#65 for 2010"

This is impossible. Look at "Spiral Shadow" by Kylesa. This album is #119 with a rating 3.9. There is something wrong with it.

iFghtffyrdmns
June 12th 2011

charts are just shitting the bed in general apparently.
either that or perhaps they take the rating right at the end of 2010 and rank them with those.

ebongo91
June 12th 2011

Albums nothing special. I liked the first single, but after that the album is pretty... well blah. Anyway, decent review, not enough description but you have the "quick write up" disclaimer up there.