My Dying Bride
Evinta

by Dreamflight USER (4 Reviews)
June 11th, 2011 | 16 replies

Review Summary: A distinctive way to commemorate 20 years of existence, nothing more than that.

Apparently there’s been a new trend for bands (somehow connected to Peaceville/MFN) to tour the album that made them most famous, and eventually record it on a DVD. Halifax doomsters My Dying Bride avoided the easy way, and tried to achieve something different to celebrate their 20-year career.

That being said, what do we have here? An hour and a half, two for those lucky enough to get the 3cd limited edition, of orchestral, atmospheric, bleak, dark and epic music. But, unlike your regular MDB record, this time, the band dropped all the guitars, drums and bass, and based their idea on orchestrations (provided by Johnny Maudling of Bal-Sagoth fame), synths, some electronic stuff here and there, and of course, Aaron’s voice helped by the French soprano singer Lucie Roche.

The songs are a result of My Dying Bride’s themes from previous albums, rewritten, in order to make this huge concept. So, throughout the album, you’ll be hearing tunes that go from “As the Flower Withers” to “For Lies I sire”. Of course, one cannot avoid hearing some references to acts like Autumn Tears, Elend or even Sopor Aeternus, but still, the MDB mark is definitely present here.

It’s quite difficult to point out any track, since the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, however they all share some of the most beautiful and shivering moments I have ever heard, as well as some parts that drag, but after all it's My Dying Bride we’re talking about.

In the end, whether you like it or not, you’ll realize that the metal elements are not by all means necessary to achieve the band’s goal, of delivering a magnificent dark opera. It’s also quite interesting to hear familiar melodies, and try to identify which original song it belongs to.

More than just a regular “best of”, what we have here is simply daring. A unique opportunity, with absolutely no sequel, for the band to present us something special to celebrate their existence. Sure the ghost of 1998 might be present, but in my humble opinion, once again they succeed, just like they did with 34,788…Complete.

3.2
good

June 11th 2011

As usual, my apologies for any grammatical incoherence, or attempt to murder the english language.

Feedback would be appreciated.

clercqie
June 11th 2011

It's decent, but I'd put a tracklisting in the database, also...

Edit: Looks better

Digging: Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers

Willie
June 11th 2011

I thought this was boring and obnoxious. It had its moments but was mostly uninteresting.

Digging: Skrew - Universal Immolation

Voivod
June 11th 2011

added the tracklist and moved it to LPs section, as metal archives has listed it as a "Full Length".

Will read the review later.

Edit:

they succeed, just like they did with 34,788…Complete.

So glad to see that there are fans of this album in this site.

Digging: Seduced (AT) - The Proclamation

Psychopathologist

1924 Comments

not gonna bother with this

June 11th 2011

"It's decent, but I'd put a tracklisting in the database, also..."

Damn, completly forgot. :/ Txs for adding that Voivod.;)

"they succeed, just like they did with 34,788…Complete.

So glad to see that there are fans of this album in this site."

Absolutely, I even dare to say, it's one of my fav MDB releases.

@Willie: if you're not in the right mood, it wont work man. At least give it another try, it really sounds better after 2 or more listenings.

pizzamachine

A Dreamflight review! A good one! Just a few things:

edit: niiiice, 'twas nothing.

Done!

Thanks buddy. ;)

Crysis
June 11th 2011

Confirms my suspicions about this album

Digging: Swallowed - Lunarterial

FadeToBlack
August 11th 2011

yep it kinda sucks and doesn't flow at all, but hearing parts of their old songs is still pretty cool

August 11th 2011

I still think it flows very well, but tbh I thought the replay value would be much higher, last time I've played this was a month ago or something.

Youniverse
August 27th 2011

solid album, if only they did not include those crappy operatic vocals..

scissorlocked
September 27th 2011

short, up to the point review

good work man

Maybe I'll check this sometime, MDB is a fantastic band

Digging: Traumprinz - All The Things

September 28th 2011

Thanks man. Not that this is any similar to your dig, but if you're into an Ulver mood, you may find this quite pleasant too.

terminusest
September 28th 2011

this makes me want to die and i absolutely love all ulver's material. so pretentious and boring. mdb are all about the riffs, everything else about the band ranges from drab to laughable.

September 29th 2011

Not sure that I agree with that. The riffs are important in MDB no doubt about that, but the atmosphere was always their main goal, imo.