Watain
Lawless Darkness

by Letterbomb69 USER (2 Reviews)
June 8th, 2011 | 72 replies | 13,236 views

Review Summary: Lawless Indeed.

It's 90 degrees outside my dwelling. The sun is shining hard and the choking mugginess of a Michigan summer is in full effect. But you wouldn't know that standing in my dorm. Frost covers the windows, drifts of snow accumulate in the corners, and I'm burning my furniture in an effort to appease the pagan gods of old. My wolf skin is drenched in blood and I can only speak in incantations.

This is the experience one might have while listening to Lawless Darkness, the newest offering from Swedish black metal group Watain. The groups relentless throwback sound has earned them a cover spot on Decibel magazine, and more then a few mentions in other publications for their penchant of throwing blood on their audiences during live shows. But while theatrics may be a big part of what makes black metal, it means almost next to nothing if the music isn't as evil as the image.

And evil music is where Watain delivers. Lawless Darkness, while not being a magnum opus or genre redefining, is still a great record and showcases the raw unrestrained power of black metal. It's well produced but not overpolished, the guitars sound creepy and the drums pound like the hammer of Thor. Even the distorted bass can be heard making slight movements beneath the foundation of the music. The band conjures the sounds of armies marching, of wolves running through fields, towns being burned and eternal night blanketing the sky.

The album is straight ahead charging into battle for nearly its entirety, which some may enjoy, but it would be nice to see them explore slower tempos. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for them to pull off a funeral doom song if they tried. But the slower parts that do exist contrast well with the fast bits. The end of Malfeitor exhibits this perfectly. The song spends most of its duration being an exercise in full speed chaos, but opens up with a decrease in speed and a deliciously epic lead guitar part. The longer tracks like Wolves Curse also have some doomy bits. Meanwhile, Total Funeral has an opening riff that recalls Venom, and an interesting drum part beneath it, while Reaping Death has an opening riff that could be, in a different context, be heard in a garage rock band a la Be Your Own Pet.

Overall Lawless Darkness is a great record despite the lack of variety. It shows promise, and in a world where most people watch Immortal's music videos and laugh, and think of Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir when they hear the words black metal, there is a need for a band like Watain to bring the bite and balls back. So if you're looking for an album to burn *** down to, look no further.

Standout Tracks: Malfeitor, Wolves Curse, Total Funeral,

AngelofDeath
June 8th 2011

A 4 for a Watain album? Hahahaha.

Hyperion1001
June 8th 2011

Yeah never listened to these guys and don't plan on changing that.

Digging: Octex - Idei Lahesna

NocteDominum
June 8th 2011

So if you're looking for an album to burn *** down to, look no further.

sounds intense.

Wizard

19333 Comments

A 4 for a Watain album? Hahahaha.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

eggsvonsatan
June 8th 2011

Thanks for reviewing this. Watain needs more love around here. However, i was not a huge fan of this album. Around a 3.25 for me. I need to review Casus Luceferi

ShadowRemains

20531 Comments

oh fuck this band...no

Digging: Banks - Goddess

zaruyache

Hey now, they're decent.

Digging: Emerald Weapon - Part II: Earth Encrypted

June 9th 2011

there is a need for a band like Watain to bring the bite and balls back

yeah but that band isn't watain

05McDonaldT
June 10th 2011

Really great band, I'm glad to see somebody else on here can see how good they are

NocteDominum
June 11th 2011

this is not really grabbing my attention.

BloodBathed
July 17th 2011

agreed. they are tight as hell and deliver live!

hatahs
August 12th 2011

Surprised this is rated so low. Will go down in history as one of the greatest black metal albums ever

Hawks

Lol I highly doubt that.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

August 12th 2011

band is awful and hatahs is a faggot

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

August 12th 2011

how much black metal have you heard, hatahs? :]

watain

Hawks
August 12th 2011

Obviously not enough lol. I mean I'm actually someone who enjoys Watain from time to time, but calling one of their albums one of the best in the genre is just completely wrong.

but dude ... it's lawless

and DARK!! but it's not noctus :]

Tyrael

20823 Comments

I'm surprised their albums have such high average ratings