Oskoreien
Oskoreien

by Hawks USER (70 Reviews)
June 7th, 2011 | 48 replies | 6,371 views

Review Summary: Black metal for beginners.

In recent years, the black metal scene in the United States has been becoming more and more known for it's involvment in the development of the so-called "Cascadian" black metal movement. Bands such as Weakling and Wolves in the Throne Room were some of the first to really play in this style and more bands have been joining them in the past few years. In 2011 alone, bands like Ash Borer, Fell Voices, Deafheaven, and this band, Oskoreien have been adding on to what the aforementioned bands have started. Oskoreien is a one-man band and while he doesn't really add anything new to the Cascadian black metal formula, you'll still find that his debut self-titled full-length album is enjoyable in it's own right.

Right off the bat you can tell the type of sound that this album is going for, with an atmospheric intro that pays homage to the type of music that the Cascadian scene is. When one listens to this type of music, you'll realize that this isn't your typical church burning, Satan-worshipping black metal. You don't get images of corpse paint or murder or any of that type of stuff. It's very nature-oriented, meaning that you get the feeling of mountains, trees, lakes, and pretty much anything that has to do with nature. To give off that feeling, there are a few different things that you have to do, and Oskoreien does here. The riffs are tremolo picking for the most part. Not really overly melodic, but heavily atmospheric. Acoustic guitars also show up pretty frequently. The drumming isn't anything that will wow you because, once again, this album relies mainly on atmosphere to get it's point across. You have some blast beats here and there, as well as a lot of slower rhythmic stuff.

Vocally this album is extremely well done, but also something that isn't unique for this genre. There's a mixture of harsh and clean vocals, with the harsh vocals being the dominant one. His voice isn't more leaning towards high or low-pitched, it's pretty much smack dab in the middle of the two. There's some effects on them to make it sound almost like they're echoing. The clean vocals are pretty operatic and baritone, almost in the vein of the infamous Norwegian vocalist Garm. If you've ever heard Garm then you'll know that saying the vocals sound like anything similar to him is a huge compliment.

Overall, this isn't an album that is going to have you in awe because of how original or unique it is, because that's just not the case. The point is, it's extremely enjoyable and a great album for what it is. If you're only a fan of the more extreme side of black metal, then this won't be your thing. This type of music is for listeners that have an acquired taste in this sort of thing and also for listeners who would be interested in getting into the black metal genre. It's been said that Cascadian black metal is the easiest type of black metal to get into, so if that interests you, then it's definitely worth a shot.

Xanthochroid Blessed He With BoilsCradle of Filth Midnight in the Labyrinth

Athom

Digging: Sad Lovers and Giants - Feeding the Flame

zaruyache
June 7th 2011

I like it, although I feel that it has been done better by other bands, probably some of those that you mentioned. Still, pretty good debut. If the vocals could improve a bit--the harsh becoming more harsh, the cleans seeing improvement in general--I feel like this group could definitely go somewhere.

Digging: The Great Old Ones - Tekeli-Li

Crysis
June 7th 2011

This was decent at best.

Digging: Tiamat - Wildhoney

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Great review Hawks, I found this to get boring really quick, but I can definitely see why people would like it. Pos.

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

June 7th 2011

Thanks man. Yeah I can see how people would be bored by it. Either way, I really like it and it hasn't worn off yet.

FatChickIrl

this looks troo

Athom
June 7th 2011

i'm not looking for bands that push the boundaries anymore, just bands that do a sound good, and this dude writes stuff that appeals to everything i like in black metal. sure its derivative but its damn good.

June 7th 2011

Exactly. Nothing original at all, but it's damn good.

FatChickIrl
June 7th 2011

I want some classical death metal or black metal. But I mean REAL classical music, not fucking samples.

June 7th 2011

Eh well you're not gonna find that here.

BloodSweatandBeers
June 7th 2011

Try not to use "right off the bat" so much. I notice you do it alot, otherwise good review.

June 7th 2011

I'll keep that in mind. Didn't realize I did it that much haha. Thanks though.

Hyperion1001
June 7th 2011

Good review, i got this on tape with the shirt. Good stuff.

Digging: Monolake - Interstate

Ire

black metal for hawks

June 7th 2011

Adam Thomas showed this to me. Excellent album. Your review could use a little bit of work, Hawks, but it's good to see that you're still around.

black metal for hawks

You know how I roll.

wyankeif1337
June 7th 2011

sweet, this got reviewed.

June 7th 2011

Yep I've been digging the whole Cascadian thing lately so I figured I'd give this a review.

Deviant.