Juvenile Baroque Slaughterhouse
Gall and Wormwood

by Ty USER (11 Reviews)
June 7th, 2011 | 8 replies

Review Summary: You might be tripping, but what if you trip over something... Like a cliff?

I suppose if music could take drugs and get high, it would most likely sound like Juvenile Baroque Slaughterhouse. This band makes such strange music, it's almost impossible to categorize. Imagine if Michael Jackson's dance moves had a baby with an electric guitar, a Moog, and a drum set. The resulting child would be rather strange (No pun intended regarding Michael Jackson and children...). Well, that strange child could be seen as Gall and Wormwood. This album is just so unsettling and strange in every way. Despite this, it retains an odd sense of beauty and direction.

The reason I included Michael Jackson's dance moves was to illustrate the schizophrenic instrumentation present upon this release. The guitars noodle around each other, twisting and turning, sometimes the drums just get the life pounded out of them, sometimes they barely even have a say in the song. Then there is that weird synthesizer in the background, there's constantly some strange moaning or twinkling sound coming out of it. I have no idea what sound it is, really, but it certainly adds an eerie air to each song. The synthesizer is responsible for making the entire album as uncomfortable as an instrumental album can get, it is simply haunting at times. There really is truly no way to describe the instrumental scores present on this release. Juvenile Baroque Slaughterhouse have crafted something that is almost impossible to describe. In all honesty, the only way for one to truly grasp what this album sounds like is for said person to listen to the album.

Gall and Wormwood is simply strange. This album sounds like instruments on drugs, nothing more, nothing less. Gall and Wormwood is so strange that it is amazing, it is such an intriguing listen. Despite its absolutely eclectic nature, it is incredible. Those ears, they will certainly remain interested.

I still have no idea what I am talking about...

Little Kid Logic SongsTen Kens Namesake
johnny_ripper Still Images & Other DreamsBull of Heaven 013
Cliff Dweller Ghosts of the Dust Bowl*shels Plains Of The Purple Buffalo
recommended by reviewer
Ruins Pallaschtom

June 7th 2011

Finally, Sputnik's working so I can see my review.
Anyway, don't crucify me if this review sucks. I haven't written anything for awhile, due to the fact it's summer break and all. Also, this thing was hard for me to review, for whatever reason.

Anyway, you can pick it up for free here:

Digging: Zelienople - The World Is A House On Fire

eggsvonsatan

amazing band name

June 7th 2011

It's definitely what made me decide to give them a listen.

1drummer
June 7th 2011

Pretty sick thus far, wish it was a real rummer and not a machine though. Sounds like another one man project..

June 7th 2011

Yeah, that does bum me out a bit. Nonetheless, I love this thing. A lot of the sounds on it are somewhat manufactured, so it's no surprise to me that the drums are.

June 8th 2011

Looked it up a bit, yeah, it's a one man endeavor. I still think it's great, though.

pacedown
November 17th 2011

well i hate when u reviewers immediately post a comment, mentioning that the review that they've written a minute ago, might be too much like a rookie stuff or just shitty, just to prevent any heavy critics. what da hell? dont u people have self-confidence.

i think just because of this pathetic behaviour, ur review or critic or any single idea that u have , is worthless.

November 18th 2011

Oh hey, you posted this on my other review.
Thanks for letting me know. I don't really care.