Bowling for Soup
Fishin' For Woos

by Joel Hargreaves USER (45 Reviews)
June 6th, 2011 | 11 replies

Review Summary: A return to form for Bowling For Soup after the disappointing 'Sorry For Partyin'

Bowling For Soup are back yet again to present the world with their 11th album and it’s one of their best yet! ‘Fishin’ for Woos’ sees the Texan pop-rockers continue to deliver top notch albums showcasing their signature sound.

To be honest, Bowling For Soups last effort ‘Sorry for Partyin’ sounded tired in parts and I didn’t have high hopes for this release. However, as tracks off this record started to make their onto the internet early, I listened and loved them. The new album is chock full of everything fans love about the group including party anthems and hilarious lyrics. Bowling For Soup have also taken a more serious tone on a number of tracks on this album; which emphasize that this is also their most mature album to date. Tracks like ‘What About Us’, ‘Turbulence’ and ‘Guard My Heart’ all show how this band has developed over the years to include a more serious touch to some of their music. ‘Turbulence’ is a prime example of ‘Fishin’ for Woos’ with its acoustic guitar, sincere vocal approach and background strings. This track comes off as a very heartfelt attempt to connect with listeners and features the brilliant chorus: ‘ And We’re all just passengers tonight, And We’re all just travelling through our lives, We will reach our destination so just hang on for the ride, say a prayer and close your eyes. It’s just a little turbulence.’

Whilst Bowling For Soup have incorporated some serious songs into the mix this time around, they still haven’t forgot how to please long time fans of the band. Bowling For Soup are renowned for their hilarious lyrics, catchy choruses, driving guitar rhythms, upbeat musicianship and overall ability to make the listener feel extremely happy. Jaret Reddicks gift of writing consistently catchy and comical lyrics is not something to be scoffed at. Eleven albums in and their song writing has never been stronger. Songs like ‘Let’s Pretend We’re Not In Love’, ‘Here’s Your Freakin’ Song’ and ‘I’ve Never Done Anything Like This’ are some career best songs, which is a very good sign for a genre that tends to get outdated and overly repeated. The track ‘I’ve Never Done Anything Like This’, in my opinion, is one of Bowling For Soups best songs to date. It features everything loved about the band, a great dynamic with female vocalist Kay Hanley, and even a reference to the rock band Tonic!

Bowling For Soup sound completely refreshed and have written some truly rocking songs which harp back to their ‘Drunk Enough to Dance’ sound. The decision to include more mature songs on this album helps to keep the band sounding new and re-energized. They have even written a song named ‘S S S-Saturday’ that hasn’t given a day of the week a bad name like Rebecca Black’s ‘Friday’ did. After many peers in this genre fail to consistently produce quality releases, Bowling For Soup have bucked the trend and manufactured the possible ‘best pop-punk album’ of 2011!

The Smith Street Band Throw Me in the RiverCounting Crows Somewhere Under Wonderland
Theory of a Deadman SavagesModern Baseball You’re Gonna Miss It All
Nothing More Nothing MoreCeres I Don't Want To Be Anywhere But Here
simonpettersen (4.5)
Despite the fact that the album is called “Fishing for Woos”, Bowling for Soup delivers probably...

Drsmith4
June 6th 2011

How in the hell does this have a 4.1 aggregate rating?

demigod!
June 6th 2011

shit these guys are still around? they are a pretty fun band, might check this out if it's actually as good as you say. good review pos

Digging: Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

outline

I miss pop-punk.

IAmKickass
June 6th 2011

Never really liked these guys, always reminded me of a wanna-be NFG.

klap
June 7th 2011

exclamation points. i feel like i'm reading a review by someone on a lot of happy pills

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

Parallels
June 7th 2011

rather someone who likes the band a lot

the guitar solo from "Valentino" is the only thing from this band that has gotten my approval

dimsim3478
June 7th 2011

Four point one over eight users? Either this is REALLY good (and that's saying something for a pop punk record, let alone a Bowling For Soup record) or a few of these guys are fan boys (maybe both)!

Digging: Hard Girls - A Thousand Surfaces

IAmKickass
June 7th 2011

I'd say maybe a couple fan boys.

AliW1993
June 7th 2011

It's catchy in places, and overall one of their better records, but it's nothing special.

November 26th 2012

20166 Comments

how does this have a 4 and a 4.5 review? lol

Digging: Johann Sebastian Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major, BWV 1050

lordlanky