Alestorm
Back Through Time

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
June 5th, 2011 | 42 replies | 13,539 views

Review Summary: Alestorm scrape the barrel once more, but come up empty handed.

"Greetings ya gobshites!"

It boggles the mind. After not one, but two helpings of the cheesiest, most gimmicky albums in the history of music, Alestorm are back to shove a third helping down our throats. They’re pirates after all, and it’s not like they’re just going to lay down and die, no matter how much we want them to. But why would we want such an endearing group to walk off the plank (or be stabbed in their potbellied guts)? The last time I checked, pirates were extremely popular, and it also happens that Alestorm is one of the few pirate metal bands in existence. Then again, the last time I checked, the mayonnaise in my fridge was still edible. The band is now sailing in shallow seas, just as my mayonnaise may be swimming in vomit-inducing mold.

Alestorm’s first two albums sailed because the concept of a pirate themed metal band seemed fresh and intriguing. Also, Black Sails at Midnight was quite an improvement upon their debut album, and seemed to hint at the idea that the band was more than just a gimmick. It had epic, sing-along choruses, the songs were surprisingly well written, and generally, the album was a bucket of fun. Unfortunately, with the inclusion of Back Through Time, the joke no longer excites, and we find ourselves YAR-HAR-HAR-ing a bit less. It only goes down from here. The album is basically Black Sails at Midnight Part II, but now that all of the band’s tricks have been exhausted, the album is an exhausting listen. The accordions, whistles, synthesizers, gang vocals, and guitar thrashing are back again, and they’re doing nothing new. The band was always over the top before, but their bombast is finally wearing thin. Of course, one could claim that this is just as solid as their other albums, but I think we’re all a bit tired of the band at this point. Of course, the album isn't necessarily bad, it's just uninteresting.

After two albums (and a few EPs), all aspects of the band are annoyingly predictable. Of course, this doesn’t stop them from creating a few classic Alestorm songs off their stale formula, but that’s about as good as it gets. ‘Back Through Time’ is basically a copy of ‘The Quest’, ‘Scraping The Barrel’ is a copy of ‘To the End of Our Days’, and ‘Shipwrecked’ fills in the need for the next ‘Keelhauled’. The best songs are the ones that follow their same old formula to the letter, but this creates a lot of eerily familiar songs. Ultimately, Back Through Time may look like a new album with its “orgasmic” artwork, but don’t let that fool you. The band have done nothing except repackage Black Sails at Midnight, and although it will quench the thirst of their fans, casual listeners will leave parched.

Recommended Songs:

3.1
good

pizzamachine
June 5th 2011

This recent release review reviewed by pizzamachine!

demigod!
June 5th 2011

yeah their gimmick is getting really old really fast. it was funny and cool back in 2008; their first album was fun as hell, you gotta admit that. but now its just like go awayyy

Crysis
June 5th 2011

These guys are still around? Pretty terrible band.

Digging: Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens

Yazz_Flute
June 5th 2011

You recommended over half of the songs what.

Midget Saw.

Digging: Anekdoten - Vemod

pizzamachine
June 5th 2011

These guys are still around? Pretty terrible band.

Yeah, I actually forgot about them until I heard about this album.

Essence
June 5th 2011

i hope this band dies soon

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Pizzamachine ponders pretty pale pirate package, pos.

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

Hyperion1001
June 5th 2011

I think it's pretty obvious that these guys don't really take themselves that seriously.

Digging: Monolake - Interstate

Hyperion1001
June 5th 2011

Well people give them shit for sucking when i think they kind of know they suck and just run with it.

Comatorium.
June 5th 2011

Fuck this band. This is all you need...

Good review, pos.

NorwichScene
June 5th 2011

I liked them to begin with, now they are getting tedious

Metalstyles

Also, Black Sails at Midnight was quite an improvement upon their debut album
Mm, not at all. Their first album provides a jolly good time while their latest grew old incredibly quickly. If this is more of the same then I probably won't check this out, although who knows, after all, these guys do have some solid drinking anthems and I might get the urge to check this out the next time I'm royally drunk on beer.

EDIT: oh and great review also Pizza

Digging: Metsatoll - Karjajuht

DarkNoctus

review was too generous. :]

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

Poet
June 5th 2011

First album was awesome, but I got a little bored with their last one. I may check this out when I'm bored sometime.

demigod!
June 5th 2011

first was so much fun, never bothered with anything else cuz i knew it'd just be too gimmicky and stuff

like so was the first one but they didn't overstay their welcome at that point

DoubtGin

fun band

Acanthus
June 5th 2011

Never would have thought of pirate metal.

Digging: Symphony X - Paradise Lost

DoubtGin

neg

MO
June 5th 2011

I had a large pizza last night, thought of pizzamachine...weird. Solid review mawfucka.

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

Ire
June 5th 2011

i thought their first album was fun when it first came out but this sounds lolbad