Caravels
Caravels

by regular stormy USER (27 Reviews)
June 3rd, 2011 | 39 replies | 8,683 views

Review Summary: Caravels is a band always compared to Touche Amore, this is an unfortunate mistake made by those who have just brushed the emo threshold, bros.

Caravels is growing into one of those bands that gets lumped in the with B9 kid emo bands, which is cool by me as I like Touche Amore, La Dispute, The Saddest Landscape, and Pianos Become The Teeth. However it can be quite off putting for the more studied emo fan, as many of us tend to get a bit pretentious, and possibly ignore or write off bands on accounts of being too entry level, or too post hardcore or whatever the hell we blather about when we get in those pretentious moods. That being said, this band is beyond all of the aforementioned bands in artistic merit.

This two track EP is short and sweet, and has clever, cute song titles. Dream Beaver is a quite bouncy, twiddly riffed Hot Cross sounding track, with the classic moving emo drums, and those beloved transitions between clean guitar lines and the slightly distorted uplifting French styled down-strummed riffs. Always with a twinkly guitar track over top. The second track Girth Impression follows a similar structure, but with less twinkling, and more grooved out bass. Their vocals are somewhat akin to those of Love Like... Electrocution (the cleaner vocals) but more harsh.

All in all, this is a short and sweet release that shows promise of growth in an already fantastic band.

Manners Pale Blue LightCavities Within The Wings
Smile To The Wind MomentsIron Lung White Glove Test
Gas Up Yr Hearse!! A Banner Year For The Sum of Our LossesMorser & The Swarm Split

June 3rd 2011

I feel like such a short review is fitting for such a short EP.

Josh D.
June 3rd 2011

Recent Caravels? Fuck, I need to get on this.

Iluvatar
June 3rd 2011

Your rec'd namedrops got me interested in listening to them again

been jamming hot cross and love like hard recently

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

Band rules

Can't wait to see em

IAmKickass
June 4th 2011

Definitely going to be checking this out.

Ire

Band rules

June 4th 2011

is this along the same lines as their last release? dug the sound on that. they reminded me a lot more of pbtt than touche amore though

fucking double post

June 4th 2011

I know, the Touche Amore comparison doesn't make sense to me. All I can think is the kids who know this band found them blowing up right after they heard Touche Amore and want to hear more screamo, and so that's the comparison they made.

taxidermist
June 4th 2011

Short and sweet. Band definitely needs more exposure.

JamieFITA
June 4th 2011

Such an amazing band, good review too

AbyssalCreation

2023 Comments

Good review, didn't know TSL was lumped in that category though.

June 4th 2011

They're like one of the few screamo bands B9 kiddies know about, so they get compared to the other bands mentioned, it's just silly.

June 4th 2011

i thought the "wave" scene you're talking about was like la dispute, touche amore, pianos become the teeth, defeater, make do and mend.

whywontyoudie
June 4th 2011

that is the wave, sniper.

True Snipa.

The fucking Wave lol.

June 4th 2011

i like all those bands. they should tour. just as long as defeater don't headline.

Ire
June 4th 2011

they toured with defeater and pianos in the past

spoiler: