I, the Breather
These Are My Sins

by Devin Earl USER (10 Reviews)
June 1st, 2011 | 66 replies | 7,138 views

Review Summary: Nothing more then a great metalcore album.

These are my Sins is the debut album from the Baltimore, Maryland Christian metalcore quintet I The Breather. Imagine Born of Osiris and August Burns Red morphed together. This is what you get. This eleven song forty-three minute debut album will leave you begging for more.

I The Breather do everything here to avoid being labeled as a generic “core” band, and for the most part, they succeed. The intro track “Forgiven” has some insane tapping melodies that can send chills down your spine, and “High Rise” features some insanely awesome melody lines, linked with no-holds-barred breakdown bliss. “Longevity” starts with a deceptively calm lead before crashing into a huge wall of sound that practically begs for live play. “Empathy,” which serves as a moment for listeners to catch their breath as the ground already covered takes a toll. The instrumental is not devoid of weight, however, as the composition showcases excellent musicianship and an ear for mature, meaningful songwriting. The final track, “Illuminate” concludes with a haunting, melodic outro that is easily one of the most memorable things heard on the album.

With vocalist Shawn Spann shredding his throat while guitarists Jered Youngbar and Justin Huffman carve out thrashy, downtuned riffs and squealy, tech-death solos is something that you won’t want to overlook.
Many listeners will probably become bored after a few songs mostly because of the endless assault of breakdowns.

It does become somewhat boring because this isn’t anything you haven’t heard before and they won’t be breaking any new ground but it’s a great debut album that’s definitely worth checking out if you enjoy metalcore.

Recommended Tracks:

Upon a Burning Body The World Is OursDecrepit Birth Polarity
Sevendust Cold Day MemoryEmmure Speaker of the Dead
3.3
witnessesUK (4)
A metalcore album that has moments of melody and progression. Near perfection....

KSK1 (3.5)
Double pedal Jesus metal....

Chris Higgins (3)
I, The Breather has created an angry, aggressive debut album....

Shadein (3.5)
While very breakdown-ridden, I the Breather manages to release an inspiring, destructive debut...

Psychopathologist

1924 Comments

"I The Breather do everything here to avoid being labeled as a generic “core” band, and for the most part, they succeed. The intro track “Forgiven” has some insane tapping melodies that can send chills down your spine, and “High Rise” features some insanely awesome melody lines, linked with no-holds-barred breakdown bliss."

totally not generic pos

and by pos i mean neg

June 1st 2011

just wrote a quick review before I went to work. I haven't done one in a while anyways

June 1st 2011

have a neg for being a shit reviewer and user in general

Harsh.

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Lol Apollo's being kind of an ass lately.

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

balcaen
June 1st 2011

oh man you hit it on the mark this review is great. POS

loljk neg

Weak

xandermander
June 1st 2011

What the hell! There is already a page for the band I, The Breather with two reviews that are much better than this one.

WhiteWallStargazers

Review is pretty weak, seems like your last 2 paragraphs contradict each other

June 1st 2011

see afterthebreakdown its not just me bro

June 1st 2011

Yeah i just wrote it before i went into work. I didn't read it over to make sure it made sense. But malleus you didn't need to troll neg my reviews

June 1st 2011

"I didn't read it over to make sure it made sense."

seriously?

June 1st 2011

I quick scaned that shit

June 1st 2011

And you act like you don't deserve to be negged.

June 1st 2011

What was your reason folr negging my others then?

sspedding

enough already

June 2nd 2011

"and you didn't have to contaminate this site with your bullshit but you did anyway"

Fucking win

saucy
June 2nd 2011

Only good song is forgiven.

says the guy digging Arsonists Get All The Girls