Deftones
White Pony

by wikuk USER (24 Reviews)
November 21st, 2005 | 27 replies | 6,049 views

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Deftones - White Pony

Featuring their third album. White Pony is fairly experimental and soft compared to their first two albums but also more emotional. With some really nice singles: Change, Digital Bath, this album made itself pretty popular. With emotional howls from Chino, a great and moody basswork and DJwork and steady drumriffs and guitarriffs, the band is complete. With a great variety of songs, like: angry songs, scary songs, emotional songs, mysterious songs, straight-forward songs, beautiful songs, the album is complete. What do we need more???

Line Up
Chino Moreno – Vocals/Guitar
Abe Cunningham - Drums
Chi Cheng - Bass
Frank Delgado - Turntables
Stephen Carpenter - Strings

1. Back To School (mini maggit)
2. Feiticeira
7. Teenager
8. Knife Prty
9. Korea
10. Passenger
11. Change (In The House of Flies)
12. Pink Maggit

1. Back To School (mini maggit)

The first track, and a good one. The track opens with a guitar/DJ (I don't know which) high-pitched sound followed by some great work by the guitar. The couplet is rapped by Chino and gets you a little bit headbaning, not too much. The chorus is just the chorus you would expect from Deftones, with Chino singing his thing, and a solid background. The rest of the album is just as this part not very mysterious or emotional but it doesn't matter much. A great track.

Grade 9/10

2. Feiticeira

The second song, and d*mn it's a scary one. The song opens with a haunting guitar riff with some evil distortion. The drums comes in and a few seconds later Chino comes in with a blood curling singing lyric. The song is about someone kidnapping someone else but that's still a bit unclear. For the rest, this track takes you on a joyride (don't exactly know the meaning, just sounds fun:)) without any dull points. One of my favorites,

3. Digital Bath

With a simple but effective drum beat you'll know that Digital Bath is a very calm song. A bit strange after the scary Feiticeira, but it's well done. The couplet is soft, very repetetive and great to relax. The chorus instead is emotional and loud at the same time. Chino doesn't shout but sings as hard as he can. Very good. The bridge is also very calm and peaceful, just as the couplet. The bridge is just the couplet guitar riff and Chino singing very soft. But, at the end of the bridge a distorted guitar comes in for a second and the final chorus comes. And that's really awesome. One of the best things I've ever heard, seriously. Chino sings as loud as he can without needless shouting. This is another incredible great track.

4. Elite

After Digital Bath, Feiticeira and Back To School, this song sucks great. The song starts without a intro and has very repetive guitar and bass riffs. The thing I really can't stand is Chino's shouting. For me, it is not bad when he shouts a few times in a song but this is fully shouting!! For the rest, the breakdowns and bridge are better than the chorus and couplet but still it keeps me skipping this song.

Grade 5/10

5. Rx Queen

Luckely for me (and maybe others) after a bad song, a real good song comes. Rx Queen is very moody and has some really awesome electronic drumming. The couplet is nothing special, just superb but the chorus is something you wouldn't expect from this song. With a heavy distortion on the guitar Chino sings just like Digital Bath loud but clear. This song makes me almost crying as I hear the emotional chorus. The only reason I don't give a 10 is the weird ending, could have been better.

Grade 9.5/10

6. Street Carp

This song starts with a guitar that really doesn't sound from the guitar from Deftones, but later a shout from Chino makes the couplet with normal distortion. This song has weird lyrics, as for the chorus the lyrics are: "well heres my new adress, 6-1-5-Oh I forget. theres all your evidence, now take it home, and run with it". This song is also the shortest with only 2:45 and it is easily to hear why it is short, almost no interludes, breakdowns and a really short bridge. This won't make the grade lower but I would have been happier with a longer song. Great track still.

Grade 8/10

7. Teenager

After the energetic and powerful Street Carp this song may sound on the wrong place. Teenager starts with a clean string/guitar and drumming and singing is followed. The song stays on the right tone, and has no real highlights. Don't get me wrong, cause what I've told till now is just the tip of the mountain. The song is full of emotion and has some nice lyrics. The DJ also delivers great work and sets the mood. This song is complete! More instruments or heavier parts would only destruct this song.

Grade 9.5/10

7. Knife Party

With Teenager fading away, a guitar begins. First I want to say something about the guitar, it sounds beautiful, I don't mean that I like it (I do but that's not the point) but because it just represents beauty. The guitar goes into a distorted intro with drumming and is also incredible. The couplet is just as the intro incredible with Chino singing. But the chorus is very different. The chorus can't be described of how beautiful it is, or how emotional. Chino sings "Go get your knife, go get your knife and come here" and the guitar and bass set the start tones which are exactly on the right place/tone. The bridge is so beautiful that it is almost evil. A women singing goes higher, higher till it reaches a pitch people never should get, because else their vocal cords would burn or something. The final chorus is just the same as the first two chorus but with the women singing. This is one of my most favorite songs from everything.

9. Korea

After Knife Party, Korea really sounds awful. Where the beauty stops and Deftones begin to play heavier. It's not very bad, but the place is wrong, track 9 could be better: Change, or Passenger, but not this song. The chorus is shouting and talking and the couplet is singing but it all doesn't fit into each other. The bridge is really good and reminds me a bit of Knife Party but still isn't as good as most of the other songs on the album. This song isn't really bad, it's even good but just not as good as the rest of the album.

Grade 7/10

10. Passenger

This is the song Korea sould've been, with a slow DJ effect the song already sets the mood. The voice is also worth talking about, why? Because after some listens and reading other comments about Passenger I came to the conclusion that Maynard sings in this song. MAYNARD!!! TOOL!!! AAAARGH!!!! It all sounds beautiful and Maynard as always sings as one of the best on earth. This song also sounds a bit more Tool with a pretty long intro/outro and lots of interludes. This song takes you on a joyride and never stops. This is also a song you may wake me up in midnight.

Grade 10/10

11. Change (In The House of Flies)

This was a single, and a popular one. And after some hearing I fully understand why. It has the potention to be popular and although I know some better songs on this album, I would also pick this one as a single. The intro is just the chorus on a soft version and the chorus itself is also great. The rest is hardly to describe why it is good. It has just the special Deftones feeling you can feel on lots of other awesome tracks. With a distorted guitar and Chino singing very loud this one is also one of my favorites.

12. Pink Maggit

A perfect ending on this album. With a very slow starting intro that only contains a guitar the song goes into the chorus which is similar to Back To School. This is just the heavier, slower, creepier, crazier version of Back To School. I can't choose which I like more, the rap-metal song: Back To School or the moody, mysterious, slower Pink Maggit. So I'll give them the same grades.

Grade 9/10

Worst Top 3:

1.Elite
2.Korea
3.Street Carp

Conclusion:

Despite some less good tracks, this album features only awesome tracks, which some of it are my favorite Deftones tracks. The tracks differ very much and although this album may sound very experimental after Adrenaline and Around The Fur, I think this wasn't a experimental album. Deftones knew where they were bizzy with, and it is also great to know that their calmer side may be better than their heavier side. The DJ delivers great work, with some background effects (Knife Party) or a beat which is the platform the whole song is on (Rx Queen). The guitar and bass are really good, not too amazing, but they hit the right tones. The drumming is very steady, featuring some nice fills and weird timing, the drummer knows what he is doing. Chino with his blood curling vocals sets the whole mood of the album, man, he can sing awesome, everybody has to agree that if someone can fully sing Digital Bath, you could be a better vocalist than many of the bands out there.

Pro's:

- KNIFE PARTY!!!!!!!
- Vocals are really impressive
- The production couldn't be better

Con's:

- Their heavier songs are a bit disappointing
- Only 12 songs, could have been more since there are lots of songs that clock in at 3:30

This album receives a great 5/5!

Linkin Park ReanimationLimp Bizkit Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog...
Soilwork Stabbing the DramaIn Flames Clayman
Rush GoldIn Flames Whoracle
4.4

November 21st 2005

please vote and comment whether it was a good review or not.

November 21st 2005

This review is pointless. All you're doing is giving everybody a rare glimpse at the obvious. My dad used that expression "rare glimpse..." in a funny circumstance once. My younger brother was describing why Tobias Wolfe (I don't know how to spell his last name) was such a good author and his explanation was "he takes commonplace ideas and events but makes them interesting and gives them clarity by rephrasing them in an artistic way." In response my dad said, "No shit. That's his job. He's an author. Robby, all you're doing is giving us a rare glimpse at the obvious."

continuation of above post

However, in my brother's defense I told my dad, who had never read Wolfe before, that Wolfe in fact is exceptional at rendering the complexities of the real world into a poignant, interesting, and simple phrase, moreso than most authors. In many ways, you praise Deftones for what they are in fact good at, but you describe the obvious ways in which they're doing the job they're supposed to be doing. You don't really grapple with any of the truly unique and idiosyncratic stuff that makes the Deftones better than other bands at it. That's why this review is just insufficient. Kage's review is pretty good already too.

NEDM
November 21st 2005

Aww, DFelon. Don't be so harsh on the guy. It's not a bad review. It was a little bit of mindless talking. But the length was alright.

\\

Wikuk, you don't get my vote of yes or no. This album seems like it would of been better if it wasn't a t-by-t.

November 21st 2005

Dude, the review was not good. Also, read this.

[quote=review]This song takes you on a joyride and never stops.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that after 6:08 "Passenger" ends but maybe my iTunes is wrong and the song is in fact infinitely long.

Or, I guess the reviewer just really wanted to use that cliché.

vitriolboy
November 21st 2005

I agree with beyond on this one. Not so harsh,
I liked the rating for Change and Knife Party though (Y)

Storm In A Teacup
November 21st 2005

Why do you do this at the end of each comment vitriolboy? (y)

November 21st 2005

And i know the review was already done 3 times, but i wrote this when cathedral added his review, and because it is one of my favorite i really wanted to finish my review.This Message Edited On 11.21.05

vitriolboy
November 21st 2005

Hah, its 'cause i dont like using emoticons.
Whenever using MSN i still use the icons : P instead of the actual faces.
Don't ask why, i don't even know myself,
Maybe just got used to doing it.

Cravinov13
November 21st 2005

Passenger is an awesome song. I like Elite, Knife Party, and Change also, but the rest of the CD and the band in general bore me.

Jawaharal
November 21st 2005

DFelon, I want your babies.

I honestly have never listened to deftones.

IsItLuck?
November 21st 2005

I think you mixed up the ratings with street carp and elite...street carp is not even worthy of a 3.

Digging: Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again

Priestmetal
November 21st 2005

Pretty good review. I didn't like this album too much. It's not bad but it lacks a little something.

Aakon_Keetreh
November 21st 2005

meh im not big on defttones

Cravinov13
November 21st 2005

This CD is not worth a 5 by any means.

This CD is not worth a 5 by any means

why can't anyone respect my opinion????This Message Edited On 11.22.05

Serapheus
November 22nd 2005

I've never been able to get into this album.

Neoteric

[quote=Wikuk]
it seems that you have problems with sentences who aren't meant literally, else you would also complain about the fact that a song is not a joyride, but if you want to be proud your big comment, be proud then.[/quote]
Metaphors

People are bad at English class.

innerdark

WRONG, IT'S A SIMILEThis Message Edited On 11.22.05

Neoteric

[quote=Hoppus]WRONG, IT'S A SIMILE[/quote]
Wrong, a simile is when he would say "It was like a joyride" but a metaphor would say "It is a joyride" Owned.