Daft Punk
Homework

by TheEnigmaPrognosis USER (5 Reviews)
May 27th, 2011 | 26 replies | 5,653 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: You'll never find another album more synonymous with the umbrella term: "Techno".

It's funny how people can say a certain album set the mood or attitude for an era of time (example: Jazz in the '20s, or Dance-pop in the 2000's), but when will people realize that they are only referring to one scene or aspect of a constantly-revolving world that churns out masterpieces left and right each in their own respective musical genres. I don't give a *** if The Marshall Mather's LP is one of the best selling records of the 2000's, it certainly didn't change my life at all. And neither did this little slab of French electronica. It's just really ***ing awesome is all! Ladies and gentlemen: my review of DAFT PUNK's "Homework"!

Daft Punk are an interesting duo of musicians. I believe they started out making some uninspired alternative rock or post-punk kind of music (hence the rather dubious name), or at least they utilized some actual instruments. Clearly, all's changed now, as they are undoubtedly the most acclaimed electro artists in the business. In fact, if there's one artist/group that's most synonomys with "techno", it's Daft Punk, and by a LONG shot I must add. Sporting futuristic-styled helmets that must've cost a fortune, these two Frenchies have crafted several unique and inspired electronic albums over the years, and probably most admirable of all: each one sounds distinctively different, not just from each other, but from ANY electro out there. Obviously these gentleman have done their Homework (like dat pun?).

This particular album is the birthchild of Thomas and Guy-Manuel's early days in the DJ industry, composed of songs and mixes initially not intended for an album release. So I think it's really cool how this record turned out: all the songs flow well and seem to snuggle together nicely, and certainly provides one hell of a soundtrack to a "night at the club". It's just littered with sexy basslines, rhythmatic drum-beats, and irresistably repetitive vocals and samples. Also neat, is how Daft Punk seemed to have grabbed cues from every style of Dance music imaginable, and wrap it up in such simple song structures and yet it's so goddamn fun to listen to, whether it be the background to a party, or just blasting in your headphones as you walk down a rain-soaked street in a desolate night-time city.

I find that the best moments off the CD tend to be the ones that occur near the middle-end of some of the longer songs, as you realize how a song's maintained it's appeal for a good 5-8 minutes, and all it had to do was give the listener a simple beat and table-scratch. It's in this way that Daft Punk captivates and amazes, and it proves to mysteriously be so much more effective than any other House. Needless to say, the lasting appeal on this record is monumental... it's value has lasted damn near 14 years and it's still moderately prevelant in House-fan's ears.

Whether it's the rather generic, yet absolutely quinessential club-song "Revolution 909", or the intensely hardcore "Rock'n Roll", or perhaps the funktastic and even cutesy "Teachers", this is one album that never lets a dull moment pass. It succeeds on practically every level, by being critically praised and commercially accepted, both of which almost effortlessly thanks to Daft Punk's extreme skill and talent. And with that said, are there ANY negative points to be made about Homework?
Not from me there isn't. I'm sure tons of people who relenetlessly hate on any techno they hear will say this album is possibly the worst thing ever, but they'll never realize the mind-power and virtuousity it took to make this album.

So at the end of the day, it's one of the more essential albums in electronica, a genre not particularly built for the album-structure, but make no mistake this one works flawlessly.

Top 5 Tracks (In my opinion.. yes I like the singles >.<)
1. Around the World with it's sexy ass bassline
2. Da Funk and all it's acidic wonders
3. The 909th Revolution since it's nostalgic as hell
4. Rollin' & Scratchin' has one of the coolest scratching techniques I've ever heard
5. The industrial-fused Alive, because it truly makes me feel alive... yeah just ignore the cheese (daft punk's first song also)

Where the hell were you ***ers in 1997 ?

Chris Jackson (3.5)

DarkNoctus
May 27th 2011

Top 5 Tracks (In my opinion.. yes I like the singles)
1. Around the World with it's sexy ass bassline
2. Da Funk and all it's acidic wonders
3. The 909th Revolution since it's nostalgic as hell

take that out, it's worthless and unprofessional

rest is good though

also try to avoid first person where possible :]

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

krig9412
May 27th 2011

Except it really isn't that great of a classic. Oh Yeah and Teachers are just annoying as hell songs.

Other than that, yeah. Try not to sound too excited in your review and reduce the amount of first person and your reviews will get instantly better.

wabbit
May 27th 2011

My uncle was roommates with them for a little bit I have this signed by all the band members.

May 27th 2011

Lots of annoying songs on this I'll admit, but many enjoyable ones as well

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

Yotimi
May 27th 2011

Around the World is still awesome though (plus a great video)

krig9412
May 27th 2011

^Absolutely, and Alive is just killer

May 27th 2011

I prefer Discovery as many probably do

still decent though

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins®

May 27th 2011

Where the hell were you ***ers in 1997 ?

probably listening to OK computer or Homogenic or Third Eye Blind or Either/Or

May 27th 2011

This album isn't synonymous with techno

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

May 27th 2011

This is a terrible review

May 28th 2011

I fail to see the relevance of this within your review. Plus I really don't see anyone talking about 1 album in particular when talking about 1920's era-Jazz, or "dance pop" (urgh)

It's just really ***ing awesome is all!

Cool

Ladies and gentlemen: my review of DAFT PUNK's "Homework"!

Oh good because I was getting confused there for a second

Synonymous, and if it's a LONG shot (which it is) why is it your summary?

Eh, Human After All is essentially the combination of this and Discovery. Plus this borrows from a variety of influences which you can plainly hear in the music, namely a lot of Detroit techno and house from the Chicago scene

Refrain from using words like "neat" to describe the music, we're not 12 anymore (I hope). No comma after neat either, and describe these styles they've borrowed. There's no point saying that there's a whole host of influences if you don't comment on the actual influences

May 28th 2011

Terrible sentence. *song + *maintains + * its but even then it's a choppy sentence

This means absolutely nothing

electronica isn't a genre. And most genres of electronic music are incredibly album-centric so.....

clercqie

^ What he said above me

But in all honesty, I don't think the review is that terrible...
He just needs to tone down a bit, and get a bit into more detail, to back up his statements.

Also, best Daft Punk album ever!

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

TheEnigmaPrognosis
May 29th 2011

LOL @ this pompous cunt... I like YOUR reviews though Deviant, I wish I was just like you (:

Kris.

lol awful review

huh huh huh

Just tried to help

Malenchanted
July 15th 2013

Sup guys, this album is chill as hell

Cygnatti

19988 Comments

is this album really techno because I have no idea.

Digging: Lo-Fang - Blue Film