Talk Talk
Laughing Stock

by Sam Feldman's Rating USER (66 Reviews)
May 27th, 2011 | 28 replies | 4,809 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The only thing left to do is marvel. And marvel I shall.

There's always a sense that Laughing Stock has the ability to consume you, to let go of its singular drive and zoom out of control with you strapped in. It's like a perpetual game of Russian Roulette. Laughing Stock is comprised mainly of brooding, melodic grooves but every so often the album starts bleeding dissonance ("After The Flood's" crash-landing middle section) as if an attempt to escape itself. Laughing Stock wants to break free, but the coolest thing about it is that it never does. No matter how many stabs chaos tries to inflict, Laughing Stock pushes along, either afraid to delve or perhaps coming to the realization that this is home all along.

Either way, Laughing Stock is incredibly beautiful, as Talk Talk layer lush upon surreal, beauty upon melody, Mark Hollis stopping in every so often to give a burst of quiet intensity. His voice only pops up when needed, never letting the vocals take anything away from the gorgeous songs behind them. Hollis sounds deeply saddened, or perhaps angry, contradicting the music in such a way that it feels like the music has moved on without Hollis, him still kneeling in the corner, unable to let go of the pain. Laughing Stock is where Hollis wants to be, reflecting in an open, sunny field, and I can't help but feel that as he strives to get there, he knows he won't make it. Thus you get songs like "New Grass", a beautiful garden enclosed in unbreakable glass, unreachable. So the only thing left to do is marvel, and marvel I shall. Unpredictable organs pierce the beauty with skeptical warmth as melodies bloom and blossom, drown and resurface, all overshadowed by truly one of the most simply beautiful piano lines I can remember.

For what it's worth, Laughing Stock will stun you. Always on the verge of letting you in, it never truly does, so the only thing left to do is marvel. And marvel I shall.

Women Public StrainHip Hatchet Coward's Luck
The Roots undunTwo Door Cinema Club Tourist History
Real Estate DaysJenny Hval Viscera
4.4
Winesburgohio (5)
THIS IS NOT A REVIEW...

FelixCulpa (5)
You better start laughing now....

Tyler Fisher EMERITUS (5)
Like I could summarize my feelings for this album in this little box....

biografiend (5)

Drsmith4

Marvelous soundoff. poz

acorncheese

dude YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Yazz_Flute
May 27th 2011

Only problem I have with the review is that you used the "marvel I shall" line too frequently. Besides that it was nicely written.

Digging: Eskaton - 4 Visions

Tyrael

20828 Comments

Great review Chambered. Pos.

qwer7yfreak
May 27th 2011

Awesome review. This album is so ridiculously good.

Ethics

and marvel I shall

Irving
May 27th 2011

To be honest, this was not your best chambered89 - the multiple repetition of the summary within less than 300 words seriously bugged me - but the prose was generally alright all around, so I'll pos.

Digging: Ty Segall - Manipulator

balcaen
May 27th 2011

nice review... other than a length =/= content issue. but woo. talk talk

joplinpicasso
May 27th 2011

Really brief but really well-spoken. Honestly, I would say expand on this idea of Hollis' voice and the music taking characteristics that animate them in a third large paragraph. This is in my top 2 favorite albums of all time.

And HSThomas, the vocals are awesome - Hollis has a deep accent and that's just the way he emotes, Haha.

YetAnotherBrick
May 27th 2011

Awesome review. Gotta buy this soon.

May 27th 2011

I will definitely read this review, Sammy boy. This album is absolutely exquisite, one of the "best" albums ever (I've always been opposed to the idea of objective value in music; but this shit is just objectively good) as well as personally affecting in a sort of impressionistic way, which is a refreshing change. I feel smart for liking this album, but that's just a side bonus. First three songs are the best ever.

acorncheese
May 27th 2011

"First three songs are the best ever."

incorrect because new grass is by far the best

May 27th 2011

"i swear most of the time you just type words that pop into your head and click submit"

what else would i do?

May 27th 2011

not you, sam. these descriptions don't make any sense

May 27th 2011

also totes ripped off my braids summary but whatevs

wabbit

I thought this was like a 3-4

Pam is not impressed

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

and it loves you

the lack of being impressed is directed at this album btw, not the review

May 27th 2011

how could you not love this