Rudimentary Peni
Death Church

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
May 26th, 2011 | 61 replies

Release Date: 1983 | Tracklist

Unless you want to end up like Rudimentary Peni mastermind Nick Blinko in a mental hospital, it’s probably in your best interest to not stare too closely at Death Church’s cluttered, claustrophobic cover art. In its black-and-white simplicity, yet scarily chaotic demeanor, the art serves as a perfect microcosm for the 1983, hardcore punk band Rudimentary Peni’s debut album, Death Church. Consumed by mortality (guitarist was afflicted with cancer) and madness (frontman was afflicted with schizophrenia), the dynamic, burst-fire punk-rock is impressive in its own right but is shimmied to the background as the “issues” of the artist, to say the least, remain always in the foreground. Within Death Church lies the same nightmarish, macabre world of skeletons and twisted monstrosities that adorn the cover, punctuated by punchy punk-rock and music that attains glimpses into the psyche of a truly fucked up mind.

Average, pretty, normal people never create the best art, anyway. The misanthropy that accompanies Death Church’s yelps and cacophony is reminiscent of Romantic painter Francisco Goya and his “Black Paintings” in all their bleak glory, for instance. Each song bursts with energy and vigor, and is backed by Blinko’s never-diminishing lunacy. Again, much like the obsessive patterns that plague the cover art, Death Church’s individual tracks are rather formulaic and repetitive. Raucous, 2-minute or so tracks are the standard fare, never overstaying their welcome. Lyricism spans a wide range, and it’s often difficult to decipher between the chilling gibberish of a madman and the bits of anarcho-wisdom. The moments of political and social dissatisfaction, like the call-to-arms against “rock stars” like Joe Strummer that only lie, lie, and take your money are tempered with the insane ramblings of a maniac that’s lost his grasp on reality, exhibited best on another standout, the celestial pondering of “Cosmic Hearse.”

Death Church isn’t the sound of Blinko exorcising his inner demons, but rather unabashedly displaying them for the world to see in full prominence. Simplistic yet satisfying, the seminal punk album exists best as a stark reminder of mental affliction’s power and ability to affect, even if the perpetrator in this case is the same man that would believe himself to be the Pope later in life. Yet, perhaps most impressively, Rudimentary Peni avoid collapsing into sideshow territory with Death Church, as it is the tight riffs and choppy melodies that provide more-than-adequate background music for Nick Blinko to spew himself upon. It’s a little tough to take the extremism seriously at points, but either way, damn it is interesting throughout.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP

20948 Comments

realized that my taste is pretty boring and predictable so I've been trying to branch out more and this band has been an early gem in doing so

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

klap

the plural of penis?

Digging: Charli XCX - Sucker

First thing I thought of

Digging: Theo Parrish - American Intelligence

20948 Comments

well that's certainly not the first thing I thought of guys!

May 27th 2011

Sounds like a band ButcheredChildren would be a fan of, given the name

klap
May 27th 2011

is it pronounced pee-nigh because if so im thrilled

20948 Comments

one penis is enough for me

there's no pee-nigh in my near future

Elementary phalli

sniper

19079 Comments

i think its pronounced "penny," but whatever floats your boat.

Enotron
May 27th 2011

im not gonna lie this band is kind of booty, but i bump them regardless so kudos

rasputin
May 27th 2011

eric i already liked you but now that you've reviewed this you're my rising star

great review, great album

rasputin

also:

'Dystopia Human = Garbage
Dischard Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing
Dead Kennedy's Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables'

great recs, typo

Athom
May 27th 2011

this is one of the last things i expected you to review. i am pleasantly surprised.

liledman

awesome.

"Sounds like a band ButcheredChildren would be a fan of, given the name"

no its what the good people are fans of, dont worry.

Spare
May 27th 2011

sea reviewin dat peni this is a good day

Digging: Forth Wanderers - Tough Love

wabbit
May 27th 2011

This is like real punk music though...I like Cacophony better but this is still really friggen good.

Motiv3
May 27th 2011

I've listened to a couple of songs from this band and it doesnt seem like my thing. Great review Sea.

Blackbelt54
May 27th 2011

I only have cacophony, I need to get this

alachlahol
May 27th 2011

who the fuck says "rudimentary penny" the correct pronunciation is "pee-nigh"

this review is just awkward at points

alachlahol
May 27th 2011

saying shit like "unabashedly displaying them for the world to see in full prominence" is doubly redundant as something shown in full prominence already assumes everyone can see it