In Flames
Reroute to Remain

2.0
poor

by Adam Gola USER (41 Reviews)
May 25th, 2011 | 31 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Fourteen Songs Of Conscious Insipidity

I must confess I used to be really prejudiced about In Flames' latest work, "A Sense of Purpose". I judged the album by only a few songs, namely the terrible Alias and the atrocious lyric-ridden Disconnected. Yesterday I clenched my teeth and listened to that album all the way through, only to realize that in the end it wasn't half as bad as I'd previously thought. If one shut his ear to the abysmal lyrics, it turned out to be a painfully mediocre but listenable alt metal/borderline melodeath album with some saving graces. It turned out to be... better than this one.

Reroute to Remain marks the first sharp plummet in the band's descent into gayness, and a deep plummet it is. This album has also marked the beginning of a long tradition that In Flames have developed - a habit of containing desperate, metaphorical messages to their fans, as though they tried to announce how their label's manipulating them to make money (or how they sold out without the label's incitation, I don't really care). So this album's title tells us how the band has finally rerouted their ways and how it would remain gay for years to come. A self-fulfilling prophecy, but we realize it only now.

The album comes with a headline of sorts that says "Fourteen songs of conscious insanity". A neat marketing trick, but anyone who's already listened to the album will immediately realize how terribly absurd and fraud it is. When I read of "conscious insanity", I think of Strapping Young Lad, not of some jaded ex-melodeath band who's just made a ***ty album full of boring, formulaic and half-assed songs just to garner a wider audience.

The drastic change in style will immediately be noticed by the listener upon listening to the awfully happy and pseudo uplifting chorus of the opening track, "Reroute to Remain". "System" is supposed to be a heavy song, but the riffs are so boring they make Soilwork's "Blind Eye Halo" post musical school graduate virtuoso learning level. The next song, "Drifter" is one of the album's saving graces, being a dynamic song and not seeming entirely half-assed, similarly the single "Trigger" - one of the very few songs on this album actually containing any idea in it. The only other exceptions would be "Dismiss the Cynics" with a genuinely emotional chorus and the acoustic "Metaphor", albeit suffering of Anders' terribly whiny vocals. "Black and White" isn't terrible either, but its melody draws upon some very primitive emotions, it's all so terribly cheap. It feels as though the band was trying to insult us with poop such as the happy-go-lucky chorus of "Egonomic", the teenager melodies of "Free Fall" and the painful boredom of "Dawn of a New Day".

The few decent songs provide an almost enjoyable experience containing adequate levels of heaviness and melodies which invoke positive memories and sentiments (of earlier albums). Unfortunately, all of it is spoiled when the crappier tracks start and make you frown in disapproval. For someone unfamiliar with this album, finding a good song on it is like playing Minesweeper on Hard difficulty setting - pretty damn hard.

While the lyrics aren't as blatantly horrible as on "A Sense of Purpose", they're still mostly poop compared to In Flames' albums of old. All in all, the sheer level of fail contained within this album makes it SURPASS "ASOP" in terms of gayness and overall ill-appeal. This album MAY be a pleasant listening experience, but it's guaranteed that this pleasure will not come without at least an ounce of guilt, unless you don't take this album seriously. To sum up the review, a little quote from In Flames themselves (their song Egonomic), which foretells and illustrates the fate of this band:

"A liar’s ambition, praised like a king
Every day in every way we are getting weaker!"

No more needs to be said.

Assemble The Chariots The Sulphur VoidsBeyond Creation Earthborn Evolution
Scar Symmetry The Singularity - Phase I: NeohumanityFallujah The Flesh Prevails
Nexilva EschatologiesAllegaeon Elements of the Infinite

May 25th 2011

For those who are wondering about this supposed "tradition" of the band that I mentioned:
Soundtrack to Your Escape - great music to illustrate your act of leaving the room because you won't be able to stand how shitty this music is
Come Clarity - a desperate plea from the band in hopes they'll yet be able to attain clarity of writing decent material
A Sense of Purpose - what the band has apparently lost, or shifted from putting their heart into music to putting the money from sold albums into their wallets

NocteDominum

Nice one Adam

BodomThrashMachine
May 25th 2011

Eh, the album is okay. Trigger is the best song on it, in my opinion. Definitely not comparable to what came before.

Good review, while it reflects an opinion harsher than my own.

Spec
May 25th 2011

Album is pretty great actually.

Digging: Midnight - No Mercy for Mayhem

TheInternation
May 25th 2011

I really didn't mind this album. It's no Jester Race but it's not in any way bad.

drasticaction74

Free Fall

Darkvoid67
May 25th 2011

Trigger and Cloud Connected are badass. Plus, you gave the new SS much too high a rating, so I refuse to accept your opinion (joking, review wasn't half bad)

May 25th 2011

I've already accepted that Sputnik treats Scar Symmetry as just as bad as In Flames these days, but myself I still think there's no room for comparison between these two bands. An unpopular opinion, but wtf.

This album isn't abysmal, but having four good songs out of "fourteen songs of conscious insanity" isn't a particularly impressive score.

Metalstyles
May 25th 2011

Intro was okay but it all went downhill from there on. I can't stand the condescending tone of your writing and sorry, but I can't take seriously a review that regularly uses "gay" as an adjective to describe the music's sound. Also,

this is your written opinion that I can't contest, but damn is it a moronic one. Plus, some of your descriptions are very vague. For example, what exactly are these primitive emotions that "Black & White" draws upon? And what the hell is a "teenager melody"? And what about the lyrics, what makes them bad? Because I can tell you they do not literally contain shit, despite how much you want that to be true.

To all that, add grammar mistakes and awkward sentences and voila, your review is deserving of the same score you gave the album. No, actually, it'd be deserving of a 1.5 because of this gold nugget:

May 25th 2011

I don't see anything wrong with abusing the word "gay". It's a very fitting word, and you're probably only upset because you yourself give this excuse for an album a 4,5.

May 25th 2011

Nah, "poop" is a noun as far as I know.

Metalstyles
May 25th 2011

Haha, I'm absolutely not upset about the score you gave this album, I always pos negative reviews of albums I love when they are intelligently written. Yours, however, is not, and the crit I gave is all valid (what you do with it depends solely on yourself).

Also, I'm not going to go into the "is gay a good adjective or not" argument simply because when you grow older and become smarter, you'll see that it really is not a fitting adjective to describe music with and frankly, whatever excuses you may bring to prove that it's a good word to use in this review, I'm not interested in them because they're all bound to be incredibly stupid, hackneyed or misinformed.

Crysis
May 25th 2011

This review is not very good.

um

Their new sound is GAY and the lyrics are POOP 2/5

Ire

IT'S IN MY ASSSSS

Hahaha. Magnus, ily :P

Review is terrible and reads like it was written by a 12 year-old whose go-to insults for descriptors are juvenile, nondescript words like "gay" and "poop."

NocteDominum

Its also a verb right ?

Xenorazr
May 25th 2011

Review just feels pretentious. And this is way better than its first 2 mediocre successors.

Awesomesauce
May 26th 2011

'Reroute to Remain marks the first sharp plummet in the band's descent into gayness'

Stopped reading after this. If you expect to be taken seriously, write seriously.