Slayer
Hell Awaits

good

by Kit Brown USER (73 Reviews)
November 19th, 2005 | 20 replies

Release Date: 1985 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I feel the urge the growing need, to fuck this sinful corpse

"The riff in 'Hell Awaits' has to be one of the heaviest riffs ever."
--Sebastian Bach from Skid Row

Slayer - Hell Awaits

Yes people, this is indeed yet another heavy installment from the world's most famous thrash metal band, Slayer. This was their second album right after the often overlooked Show No Mercy. Just as you would expect, the album is loaded with very fast riffs and drumming, and Tom Araya's signature yelling vocals. This album is also often overlooked because most people would first buy Reign in Blood or Seasons in the Abyss. This is still a solid album worth checking out if you're a fan of Slayer or metal in general.

The band is:
Tom Araya - Bass and Vocals
Dave Lombardo - Drums
Kerry King - Guitar
Jeff Hannemann - Guitar

What was good about the album:
� For all you metal fans out there, this album is just plain evil. The lyrics may freak out some listeners if you�re not used to hearing songs about killing, rape, Satan, and the like. This might, however, make some listeners want to listen to this album even more. A noticeable moment of the band�s true evil are the lyrics to the song �Necrophiliac�. You can guess what that song talks about.

� The riffs. King and Hannemann always come up with some of thrash�s best riffs, and this album is no exception. Like the review said at the beginning, Hell Awaits has one of the most diabolical riffs ever created. You can also find some really great riffs in songs like �At Dawn They Sleep� and �Praise of Death�. You�ll be headbanging through all seven songs.

� The drumming. Dave Lombardo always gives a great performance on every Slayer record, and he lives up to that on this album. You�ll hear plenty of crazy double bass drumming and ride cymbal abuse. There are also some little breaks in songs where Lombardo will play a cool fill. Drummers should listen to Slayer�s drummer if they haven�t already because he�s been such a big influence on modern metal drummers.

What was bad about the album:
� The album only has seven songs. It�s very short, even for a Slayer record. The album will be over and you�ll want to hear more, but you�ve already heard everything the album has to offer. The band should have put more songs on here.

� Tom�s vocals. He�s done a great job on other albums (like the intro scream to Angel of Death), but this album just makes him look like a bad vocalist. I know plenty of people that complain about Slayer�s vocals and this the vocals on this album actually annoy me in some parts. If you�re picky and have to have really good vocals then this album won�t be your cup of tea.

� The guitar solos. They just sound like noise instead of shredding. King and Hannemann do better jobs writing riffs then they do solos. Some solos on this album are really hard to distinguish and it just sounds like one high note played over and over again.

Recommended Tracks:
Hell Awaits
At Dawn They Sleep
Praise of Death

This album is good for the most part, but there are definitely some set backs to it. Metal fans will enjoy this for its sheer agression and speed, but fans of other genres might think this album is rather sloppy in some parts. For people who have never listened to Slayer before, you'd be better off picking up their masterpiece Reign in Blood.

Final Rating: 3/5

Periphery PeripheryThe Red Chord Fed Through the Teeth Machine
Iwrestledabearonce It's All HappeningConverge Caring and Killing
Born of Osiris The New ReignThe Faceless Planetary Duality

Shadows

...Slayer...This Message Edited On 08.12.06

Storm In A Teacup
November 19th 2005

Some of the riffs are good, but aren't as heavy as I heard they were before I checked them out forever ago.

Nice review, though I think it's not going to get much attention thanks to Grateful Dead/Spat out Plath and his SOAD-Hypnotize review. Still, good job.

Killtacular

"is has to be...", eh?
Nice. Anyway, this album is one of two Slayer albums I've heard that I can tolerate. It's still nothing too special.

November 19th 2005

Yeah, I fixed that Scruples. My bad.

And yes, I put this out at the wrong time. Doh!

Bazarov
November 20th 2005

Pfffffft. This IS the best Slayer album, and probably when Tom was at top of his vocals. I guess you did an okay job at reviewing it though.This Message Edited On 11.20.05

Cravinov13
November 20th 2005

I like Slayer's music, but the vocalists gets realy annoying a lot of the time, so I could never sit through an entire Slayer album.

Aakon_Keetreh
November 23rd 2005

good job on the review

canadapantsman
February 7th 2006

dude you hit the nail on the head about the solos. exactly what i feel. a good album, but not their best. better than what metallica or megadeth were doing at the time tho.

Apocalyptic Raids
February 26th 2006

Slayer's best.

and as if Slayer aren't heavy as fuck

south_of_heaven 11
February 28th 2006

listen to show no mercy, and then hell awaits, and you will notice a huge difference. this album shows slayer transforming into more of their 'reign in blood' sound. its a good cd, but you can hardly find it anywhere now for some reason.

February 28th 2006

I should probably get Show No Mercy sooner or later.

March 13th 2006

I don't mention the entire album because then the review seems to drag on for way too long. My format is made to give a complete description of the cd without having to tell you about every track in great detail.

Apocalyptic Raids
March 14th 2006

Track-by-tracks suck anyway.

Hunter555
July 4th 2006

Ive heard the title track live. How is this in comparrison?

hardspot
January 10th 2007

Uh. Actually though it's only 7 tracks it's longer than reign in blood you know, counted in minutes that is.

wakeupdead
January 10th 2007

I haven't ever seen this album in stores. Where can I find this?

south_of_heaven 11
January 10th 2007

I got mine in some old record store a longggg time ago. You can get yours off of Amazon.com

wakeupdead