Veliotis / Sugimoto / Kinoshita / Unami
Quartet

by For Meatplow USER (61 Reviews)
May 14th, 2011 | 111 replies | 9,214 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Such natural minimalist obsessions should never be so expansive, they should never be so alive with us all; however, Quartet is, and for that I am grateful.

I sat and I sat trying to tell you all these things about Quartet, about how each moment is vital to the album's importance, about how in "Aceghd," Nikos Veliotis' cello resonates with a sonorous sense of melancholy, about how in the same track, the rest of the instruments run free and somehow reassure you, about how Quartet is an emotion all to itself. But I couldn't for that very last reason: Quartet is something entirely removed from what we can really conjure up in our minds. I acknowledge the stupidity of my next statement here, but it is true: there really are no words to describe this in a just way. Nothing sounds so beautiful but so dissonant, so minimal but so alive. Quartet throbs with a lively passion that so few musicians have ever experienced, let alone recorded. It is silent but it is loud. It reminds me of departures on train stations and it reminds me of coffee with friends. It reminds me of walks in the city with a group with as much realism as it does when it reminds me of those times that I've traveled on the railroad tracks by myself. I was suspended two or three stories over the water below, looking out at a sunset that illuminated both sides of the trees. Such naturalistic simplicity is nigh impossible to replicate, but this abstract form has it down pact. It is everything you could ever want in music because it's so alive with human feeling. Quartet pulsates with the kind of natural minimalism that opens up your soul to the world arround you; it heightens the senses and soothes the soul. It is a tear-jerker; it is a portrait of all things humane (whether they be sad, happy, cold or warm); and it is an impressionist film with soft contours and blurred, black and white faces. It is the texture of the soul - nothing less but so much more.

Let Nikos Veliotis, Taku Sugimoto, Kazushige Kino***a and Taku Unami stretch your heart open wide.

Mattin Proletarian of NoiseGuernica (Japan) Shinseiki e no Unga
Kesha CannibalMathos Franz Joseph
Sachiko M, Toshimaru Nakamura & Otomo... Good Morning Good NightHong Chulki Amplified WC

May 14th 2011

lol at them bleeping out Kazushige Kinoshita's name.

qwe3
May 14th 2011

hahahaha yeah that's funny as fuck

liledman

intrigued, will listen.

May 14th 2011

i think you'd like this ryan

Voivod

good review, pos.

I will check this out.

It is possible that whoever likes this, will like an Hellenic group called Your Hand In Mine.

Digging: The 3rd and the Mortal - Painting On Glass

sifFlammable

scissorlocked
May 14th 2011

seems interesting, sweet review man

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

klap
May 14th 2011

nice, a review that tells me nothing

Digging: Woods - With Light And With Love

Realm

2074 Comments

lol

AggravatedYeti
May 14th 2011

awwww shit Austin sighting.

Aids
May 14th 2011

I really like this review. I want to check this out now.

"lol at them bleeping out Kazushige Kinoshita's name."

hahahaha racists

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

May 14th 2011

"Excellent review, although it would be nice of you to mention what this album is about in the most rudimentary sense...Is this a minimalistic cello quartet?"
The whole point of this was to be a giant teaser I guess. I was being serious about this being impossible to describe; it really is a celebration of life through 4 string players (Veliotis on cello, Sugimoto on guitar & E-bow, Kazushige Kinoshita on violin and Taku Unami on contra guitar) walking a fine line between chamber music, free improv and drone-ish shit. Soudn-wise it is everything and nothing I described above.

Would I like this?

klap
May 14th 2011

bitchfork I don't think your response could be more pretentious than the review but again I've underestimated you

May 14th 2011

this review is super pretentious and u probly listend to thirty second samples of this on last.fm
radio or somethign

Yeah gyro.

Alex, I downloaded slsk just to find this. I don't even think this is on last.fm.

October 16th 2011

oh my god have you guys actually listened to this

it's the stupid bullshit EVER HAHAHAHA, seriously, it makes this already embarrassing review 10x more so

liledman