Trap Them
Darker Handcraft

by INFINITY ACTRESS USER (5 Reviews)
May 12th, 2011 | 35 replies | 5,608 views

Review Summary: Absolute carnage

Absolute carnage – that is what Trap Them have unleashed with their newest full length, Darker Handcraft. Harnessing a twisted blend of crust punk, hardcore, and metal, Trap Them pummel you with an unrelenting force of sadistic rage. Like a tornado of plague and disease, the sound obliterates everything in its path, only leaving a wake of desolation behind. At the forefront is vocalist Ryan McKenney, who wants nothing more than to cripple you and watch you squirm, while Brian Izzi’s grind-inspired riffs tear at your flesh like buzzing chainsaw. On the drums is newcomer Chris Maggio (formerly of hardcore band Coliseum) and he fits right in, being the backbone in Trap Them’s musical kick to the throat. The band is as tight as ever, switching through styles and tempos with ease while keeping a clean flow.

With Kurt Ballou (Converge) in the producer’s chair, the band’s direction is more focused than ever. The production is gritty, but clear enough to establish a clear mix of tones, with Stephen Lacour filling out the bottom. The band also does gang vocals quite frequently, and Kevin Baker of The Hope Conspiracy drops in on "Evictionaries" to provide some great guest vocals. When the band isn’t bashing your head in with a ferocious barrage of sound, they’re crushing you with sludgy riffs that smash you into obscurity, as seen on "Sordid Earnings" and "Scars Align."

In terms of song structure the album is sporadically all over the place. The opener, "Damage Prose," begins with a second of harmonic feedback before exploding out of the gates into a frantic barrage of palm muted grind riffs and d-beats for the majority of the song before ending with a overwhelming breakdown. While many songs are pretty typical grind/crust punk fare, single "The Facts" sounds like the demented cousin of Nazareth’s "Hair of the Dog" with McKenney shouting, “I am that goddamn son of a bitch in the dead of the night… I want the famine, I want the flood, I want the plague” while the band shows their deranged take on cock rock. On “Drag the Wounds Eternal” the band experiments with elements of drone and atmospheric metal, which only adds to their staple sound. The album ends on a high note with “Scars Align” The track begins with a crusty riff that marches along before erupting into a massive wall of sound when the rest of the band enters. The song trudges along, akin to soldiers striding into battle with the guitars reeking of southern sludge influences, before the guitar solely fades out into nothingness.

Darker Handcraft has Trap Them in top form, showing that the band has perfected their brand of hardcore they have been utilizing on past releases and have nowhere to go but up. Tracks like “All By the Constant Vulse” and “Saintpeelers” show that the band is at the top of their game and far ahead of their peers. Darker Handcraft is an album that bites, punches, strangles, and mauls, and damn does it feel good.

jitteryzeitgeist (4)
Have you some new torture for me?...

Andrew Kaster (3.5)
With more adventurous leanings, Trap Them could create an album of different shades and hues, instea...

Josh Fountain CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
Watch your ass Converge...

Rev
May 12th 2011

Another shitty review from me :]

And crits and suggestions, please

Ire
May 12th 2011

yo rev review something and it'll be our thread

Rev
May 12th 2011

But everything turns into our thread anyways :p

I reviewed this to get better, not for the thread :p

Ire

twlichty
May 12th 2011

really good review man, awesome album.

deserves to be on best of 2011 lists

twlichty

pos

brutebeard

pos. these brutes slay

foreverendeared
May 12th 2011

the album art is fucking cool

dimsim3478
May 12th 2011

Fantastic review, Rev. Keep it up!

Digging: Little Big League - These Are Good People

NocteDominum
May 12th 2011

Fantastic review, Rev. Keep it up!
[2]

^can't say it much better than this.

iFghtffyrdmns
May 12th 2011

very nice review, but just a few minor critiques:
for one, the excess of boldface just looks a little off, for bands I usually use the [ L ] band name [ / L ] tag (without the spaces, of course). might make this look just a tad less messy.

also, you frequently address the reader as "you" in describing how the album essentially hits the listener... I've always found that it sounds a little better and more professional to instead avoid using the second person and to just refer to the listener as either "the listener" or "the audience" or something along those lines. so for example, your second sentence sounds better to me as:
Harnessing a twisted blend of crust punk, hardcore, and metal, Trap Them pummel the listener with an unrelenting force of sadistic rage.

finally, "In terms of song structure the album is sporadically all over the place." is rather redundant, you're basically calling it "sporadically sporadic" haha, so I would make some change to that.

All small changes but overall a very well-written review, nicely done.

Xenophanes
May 12th 2011

Coooool review man, I just got this the other day. Haven't spun it yet but will today if it's as good as you say it is ; )

Hep Kat

this isn't that good

alachlahol
May 12th 2011

its ok but its just like every other trap them album theyll never change just keep making the same album over and over theyre like the amon amarth of hardcore

NocteDominum
May 12th 2011

Is that a good or bad thing?

MalleusMaleficarum
May 12th 2011

it's a pretty good album

alachlahol
May 12th 2011

these guys are the cannibal corpse of hardcore

MalleusMaleficarum

csb

Xenophanes
May 12th 2011

Ew maybe I won't listen then

EyesWideShut
May 12th 2011

naw give em a listen, but give that Backstabbers Inc a listen first bruh..