Motherboar
The Beast Becomes The Servant

by Greg Fisher STAFF
May 11th, 2011 | 22 replies | 5,226 views

Review Summary: An explosive fusion of sludge, hardcore and progressive metal.

Crawling out of Boston's underground scene, on their second album "The Beast Becomes The Servant" Motherboar continue to explore the progressive variety of sludge metal popularized by such acts as Mastodon and Baroness. Being more straightforward than the former and way heavier than the latter, Motherboar tend to combine these sludge influences with hardcore elements which are chiefly prominent in the guttural screams of Kenny Irwin, the band's formidable singer.

While not showcasing anything particularly groundbreaking, "The Beast Becomes The Servant" marks a major improvement for the band expanding on their previously established style and adding new exciting textures to the table. The album can be defined by its frequently manic pace, frenzied tempo changes as well as specific magnitude in arrangement. The quintet steers clear of using the traditional verse-chorus song structure in order to make room for diverse passages that encompass both supremely heavy sludge riffs and prog-inspired, intricate soloing. This might be best demonstrated in the unconventional, yet supremely executed musical trilogy of "Inhale," "Amphibious" and the title track.

What differentiates Motherboar from the bunch of similar acts is the precisely designed rhythm section which consists of dense, polirhythmic snare drumming being accompanied by heavy as hell, constantly pulsating bass lines reminiscent of noise rock. The mighty drums and bass based interludes within songs serve as an effective addition to the band's bag of tricks which cause this album to stand out. Despite a wide range of musical motifs ingrained in every single composition, Motherboar keep the rage level high throughout the disc presenting a massively heavy, though experimental approach that never derails into psychedelia.

With "The Beast Becomes The Servant," Motherboar offer an aggressive 30-minute ride that abounds with bombastic surprises. An aptly conceived, if not entirely original formula supported by top-notch technical musicianship results in an engrossing sludge metal album with a crossover appeal.

Kimbra The Golden EchoDog Fashion Disco Sweet Nothings
So Slow DharaviMastodon Once More 'Round the Sun
Fire! Orchestra Enter!Ought More Than Any Other Day

May 11th 2011

Here's the video to "Croctosquatch:"

Awesome stuff, but for adult audiences only.

Digging: Royal Blood - Royal Blood

pizzamachine
May 12th 2011

Great review! : ) I'll check this out in the morning, sounds interesting. Pizza pos!

acorncheese

this sounds cool

acorncheese
May 12th 2011

but just finished video and it aint my thing

Thanks pizza.

"Croctosquatch" is one of the most straightforward tracks on the disc so you still may like it
acorncheese of course providing you're into sludge. I think it follows the footsteps of Mastodon's
Leviathan really well.

May 12th 2011

Nicely written, have some pos to go on top of your already pos filled 'pizza'

May 12th 2011

Haha. Cool. Thanks a bunch. I tried to keep it concise and brief this time 'cause the album is concise
and brief too.

Looks like mission accomplished

May 12th 2011

It seems like it. If you're partial to progressive sludge, you'll enjoy it.

May 12th 2011

Not too big on sludge, but ill give it a go.

sexpoi
May 12th 2011

sounds cool. good review man, i'll check this out

May 12th 2011

It's cool, but you need to give it some time to sink in given the structure of songs is quite complex at times.

May 12th 2011

''The quintet steers clear of using the traditional verse-chorus song structure in order to make room for diverse passages that encompass both supremely heavy sludge riffs and prog-inspired intricate soloing.

Man, try to use a comma or two right here.
Other than that, good job!

May 13th 2011

There's no comma necessary in this sentence in my opinion. A comma is only possible after 'prog-
inspired,' but not obligatory. I really know this subject really well or at least I should. Haha. Btw,
I always appreciate your support. Thanks mate.

May 13th 2011

Ok I see. Well from a francophone point of view, it looked like an overlong sentence. Now that I re-read it, it fully makes sense as I was expecting.

May 13th 2011

Yeah. This sentence is quite lengthy and a bit complex. I like this album more and more with every
listen. An interesting fact: Benny Grotto, who's responsible for the production/engineering of many
stoner rock records you like, plays drums in Motherboar.

May 13th 2011

So your rating could change?

May 13th 2011

It's unlikely, but not impossible. It's definitely worth checking out even if you don't like harsh vocals.

Essence
May 14th 2011

i tried looking for it but can't find a link to get it

May 19th 2011