Balance and Composure
Separation

by Dante Alighieri USER (85 Reviews)
May 10th, 2011 | 363 replies

Review Summary: The sound of growing up.

Balance and Composure - Separation

Growing up sucks. For me, it was the moment of no longer being a teenager that it hit me: the days of my adolescence were at an end. It wasn’t a fun experience; sure, I wasn’t the biggest fan of the childish pranks and the ridiculous banter but there was always that comfortable net of my youth that could catch me if I found myself neck deep in shit. Pennsylvanian act Balance and Composure are band that has known youth all too well. While still a fairly new band in terms of longevity, their EPs and past splits since 07 were indie anthems filled to the brim with catchy pop-punk inspired riffs and bursting with youthful enthusiasm. Kind of like younger version of Brand New or Taking Back Sunday, they weren’t necessarily as childish as some acts, yet always had a bright side that only a band that was out to have fun could have. Separation is the album that see’s Balance and Composure growing up and maturing heavily: gone are the scratchy production techniques and gone are the subtle folky punk vibes that other bands like Tigers Jaw and Joyce Manor possess. Instead we see a much more polished sound; heavily reverbed vocals complete with the “oohs and ahhs” and an almost stadium-like sounding atmosphere and you know what? It sounds awesome. While going as far to reference acts like later Blink 182 and Angels and Airwaves might be stretching it, the heavily reverbed sound of “Echo” and “Stoneheads” shows just how far Balance and Composure go in their maturity. In leaps and bounds, Separation is a much more sedated and relaxed sounding band than in any of their previous works.

However, the youthful playfulness of older Balance and Composure still makes its way onto Separation and this works to their disadvantage. Tracks like the eponymously titled track and “I Tore You Apart In My Head” bring the seriousness of the album down and it tends to polarize the listen. Had Balance and Composure fully immerse themselves in their newfound growth Separation could be stellar, but the conflicted themes and sounds of the album hamstring the listen on too many occasion. But at the end of the day, the Balance and Composure show surprising depth in their new album and the outcome of this is an extremely cleverly crafted album that makes us wonder just what exactly they are capable of doing in the future. Growing up might suck, but Balance and Composure make it seem easy and all too natural in their latest album.

Misery Signals Absent LightAll Pigs Must Die Nothing Violates This Nature
Loma Prieta I.V.Expire Pendulum Swings
Aldebaran Embracing the Lightless DepthsTragedy Darker Days Ahead

NocteDominum

An excellent read. POS

growing up does suck.

so does this album.

well, it doesn't suck. it's a disappointment, though.

iFghtffyrdmns

GREG KOGUT ONCE WAS ALMOST NOT REALLY IN THIS BAND

Athom
May 10th 2011

I still might review this but I'm having a hard time saying anything beyond "well, it looks like another band has discovered Hum." personally i think it's a lot better than their other stuff.

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

cvlts

hence the soundoff

RosaParks

August Burns Red promoted this on facebook

should i check them out y/y?

Athom
May 11th 2011

if you like alt-rock with a lot of reverb and delay then yes you should.

RosaParks

i'll probabl like it.
And judging by ratings I should get their first album as well

Edit: Turns out that isn't an LP
hm

OneMoreRoland
May 11th 2011

I just want to be pure > only boundaries > tigers jaw split > separation. But i still love this.

craigy2
May 11th 2011

sweet review as always, bro. it sounds like they're following the same pattern as title fight, tigers jaw, polar bear club etc. here

accompliceofmydeath
May 11th 2011

"well, it looks like another band has discovered Hum."

Cool, HUM is awesome. Still need to get this.

Digging: The Swarm - Parasitic Skies

May 11th 2011

Tigers Jaw Split and Only Boundaries are tied for me. So fucking good.

striker45
May 11th 2011

this is pretty great, although i don't know if it can top the split yet

May 12th 2011

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFOUND OUTTTTTTTTTT THAT EVERYONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IS
SHAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

ArmorForMusic
May 12th 2011

Great album. Really sunk in after a few listens.

CrownOfMagnets
May 13th 2011

I saw this band open for dredg and the music was pretty sweet but I thought the singer/guitarist sounded like a bad Jesse Lacey impersonator.. I'll wait til I hear this before I make any judgments though.

nylertickel2
May 13th 2011

This album took a lot more to sink in. Still not as good as everything else they've done

CrownOfMagnets
May 14th 2011

but you still give it a 4.5...?

cvlts
May 15th 2011

4.5- lackluster

2HeadedBoy
May 15th 2011

Does this not remind anyone else of As Cities Burn? It's pretty damn good.