Hold Your Horse Is
Rammin' It Home

by tcat84 USER (1 Reviews)
May 6th, 2011 | 13 replies | 3,872 views

Review Summary: Like lemonade on a hot day, sure we've all had lemonade, but its still refreshing

Hold Your Horse Is are a three piece post-hardcore/ math rock band coming out of the UK. They took their band name from Hella’s first LP, but that’s where the similarities end for the most part. I stumbled upon (not literally) this band by accident looking for some news footage of the Glassjaw New Years’ show, they had a video of “You Show Up” featured on the site and I don’t normally watch random videos but that day I was feeling curious. Am I ever glad I did because if they aren’t featured on this site I pretty much don’t hear about any new good bands.

After hearing the single I went to their website and downloaded it for free. After a long search and an accidental download of Hella’s LP by the same name I decided to purchase their EP from the website, which is a rarity for me when I’ve only heard one song.

The lead single and the video that caught my attention was the first track “You Show Up”. The crisp guitars and catchy chorus show what the band is all about, and they do it well. “You show up” is them at their most accessible and the EP only gets better from there. The next few tracks show their heavier/math rock side but still manage to make it catchy. “Starts and Ends” is the shortest and weakest track on the EP but doesn’t ruin the momentum. “Casual” is the most creative and formula bending track on the record and is their version of a ballad. It starts off slow and emotional only to explode into the heaviest/ Mathiest instrumental section on the entire EP. The last track is a perfect way to end it, probably my favourite song on the album showing off the best of everything they can offer.

I am not claiming this band reinvented the wheel, but they are a welcome addition to my CD collection and to the Post-hardcore/ Math rock genre. Something about them feels fresh, maybe because they just do everything right and it is only their first EP.

Best tracks: “Mackerel Jackson”
“Welcome to Obscurity”

Overall: 4 out of 5

Please don't disect me like that rat in 11th gr. lol

May 6th 2011

why won't my album art show up?... help

May 6th 2011

Not sure that second paragraph is needed.

ShadowRemains

20252 Comments

Rammin' It Home

Spare
May 6th 2011

quality analogy in the summary

Digging: Radiator Hospital - Torch Song

sniper
May 6th 2011

hold your horse is > hold your horse is.

Digging: Towers - Bel Air Highrise Plantation

Jammin' In Rome

Quality first review.

Eatin' My Scone

May 7th 2011

I guess i was just tryin to convey that I really wanted to hear more from them, its rare to not be able to find a download of an album... and i usually only buy stuff if I really like it and have heard it a few times already...

May 7th 2011

Well you should always support the music industry. Music is a language anyone can understand.

bodiesinflight57
May 7th 2011

hey, HYHI. top guys. james penny is a legend.

Cleanin' this Chrome