Samael
Lux Mundi

by Trey Spencer STAFF
April 29th, 2011 | 58 replies

Review Summary: Samael return to the sound that made them great.

When Samael released Passage it marked a turning point for them. With the release of that album they were able to gain a significant number of new fans by introducing them to a novel (at the time) combination of industrial and rhythmic black metal. Passage succeeded by retaining the main elements that had made their first few albums such favorites among the black metal community, but by also dragging them into a whole new light with the huge percussion, classical flourishes and electronic undertones. Unfortunately, future albums weren’t able to keep the same perfect ratios as they delved headfirst into industrial metal and left the black metal behind. In hindsight, it wasn’t as though these industrial releases were bad (although Eternal had a lot of growing pains), it was just that they weren’t the Samael that people knew and loved. The growls had been replaced with a slightly processed spoken word delivery that occasionally delved into cringe worthy singing sections, and the black metal riffs had been dropped in favor of your typical looped power chords. Eventually they released their ‘back-to-roots’ album, Above, by bringing the black metal influences raging back to the forefront, but it still wasn’t classic Samael.

Classic Samael was always about Vorph’s inhuman growls and Xy’s ability to create some of the most infectious percussive grooves in black metal. It was about the cold, nihilistic riffs and desolate atmospheres – and it was definitely about the varied ways that each album brought those elements together. These were all things that Above barely even touched on, but at least it got the band in the right mindset again. Lux Mundi marks the return of the bleak riffs that made Ceremony of Opposites and Passage so great. It also throttles back the tempos found on Above in favor of the rhythmic, mid-paced approach that they have always done so well. This has allowed them to return to the pounding percussion of Passage, but with an overall vibe that is much more similar to Ceremony of Opposites’ traditional black metal approach. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that the band also chose to return the classical-influenced keyboards that always contrasted so well with the industrial influences on Passage, but it may surprise some that Vorph has also returned to the unrestrained growls of old. Of course there are hints of the band’s modern sound such as the occasional spoken word section or industrialized groove, but overall Lux Mundi is simply classic Samael with just the right amount of their modern sound.

Kenn Nardi Dancing With the PastSick of It All The Last Act of Defiance
Meshuggah I (Special Edition)Cannibal Corpse A Skeletal Domain
Rabbit Junk Pop That Pretty ThirtyAnathema Distant Satellites

April 29th 2011

I decided to try for a much shorter review this time.

Digging: Mors Principium Est - Dawn Of The 5th Era

Ending

1919 Comments

Haven't really been too interested in these guys based on Passage and Above, but I guess I might as well try this out.

Good review nonetheless; short and to the point.

pizzamachine
April 29th 2011

Yessss! Passage was cool, so I'll check this out. Great review.

Ponton
April 29th 2011

Interested. I'll give it a try.

Digging: Gates - Bloom and Breathe

April 29th 2011

I have a soft spot for this band. I would probably rate this a '4' if I didn't write the review.

ev0ken
April 29th 2011

i'm looking forward to this one.

Crysis
April 29th 2011

Interestingly enough I have never heard anything by this band before.

sweet, excited for this :]

April 29th 2011

Really? Can I reccomend Ceremony of Opposites followed by Passage and then this one if you like those.

Edit: to Crysis.

Crysis
April 29th 2011

I'll get on those ASAP. I've known of this band for a really long time but never bothered to check out their stuff. Anxious to hear it.

April 29th 2011

downloading this now, let's try it out

zaruyache
April 29th 2011

Glad someone else likes this band.

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

cvlts
April 29th 2011

for some reason, never expected this to get reviewed.

April 29th 2011

Why not? To be honest, this was a last minute inclusion so you were close.

cvlts
April 29th 2011

dunno. never listened to these guys but i know they've influenced a lot of hardcore bands.

hmmmmmm

Digging: Pink Turns Blue - If Two Worlds Kiss

Hawks
April 29th 2011

I thought Passage was good, but nothing too special. I might give this one a chance though.

Acanthus
April 29th 2011

Saw Psyclon Nine in the recommended section, gives me hope for the album.

Digging: MO - No Mythologies To Follow

Wizard

19641 Comments

Gonna give this a spin. I like the short format Willie.

Digging: Ash Borer - Cold of Ages