Amaranthe
Amaranthe

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
April 26th, 2011 | 96 replies | 17,458 views

Review Summary: erratic, but catchy.

Once in a while, I come across a band or album that completely knocks my socks off. Something so incredible, so unfathomably good, that an ocean of positive words could never express my true feelings towards its greatness. As the years go by, it’s getting more difficult to find anything that will wow me anymore, so when it comes, many a joyful tear are shed. When the pinnacle of awesomeness is found, a new world of music is open to explore, and suddenly, music looks absolutely fascinating again. When the new music you find puts an instant smile on your face, you know that you found the next awesome thing. If isn’t already fairly obvious, let me put it to you straight – I like this album.

A ballstothewall power metal/melodic death metal band, Amaranthe are taking a genre collision, which has been done before (countless times), to exhilarating levels. Point and contest is the band’s lineup; the band is in fact, a supergroup. All proficient, they leave nothing to be desired with any of their performances. An extremely synchronized band, this power metal group does it like the good old days, with a knack for speed. Chock in a few cheesy choruses and you’ll soon figure out what this band is about. They know perfectly well that they’re silly, but this band certainly isn’t making compromises, nor should they. It is a shame, though, that most of the choruses sound almost exactly the same.

Combining power metal’s speed/melodies with heavy riffs, breakdowns, and a multitude of screams, Amaranthe lean toward the aggressive side. However, despite an apparent focus on creating music much heavier than your typical power metal band, the band is still open to diversity. The album provides large doses of melody, and with an excellent use of synthesizers, the songs are all sugary fun. More diversity comes from the play between the female and male lead singers, switching on and off where appropriate. A person used solely for screams also improves the mix, so yes, Amaranthe’s vocal diversity is difficult to compete with. The winning point of this collaboration is that all vocalists are fantastic. The lead female singer, especially, deserves her own band, yet one has to admit her effectiveness when paired with Dreamland’s vocalist - it is an incredibly effective duo.

Unfortunately, no matter how good the album is, there will be many naysayers. For starters, Amaranthe is one of the more brazenly silly albums in a while, and those who already loathe power metal will undoubtedly wish to repel cheese of that magnitude. Also, the catchiness of the music and vocal attack could be considered too poppy for some, and we all know how little metal fans like pop. Amaranthe’s debut album takes an open mind to listen to it, the kind of person who really doesn’t care if something is silly, as long as they enjoy it. This debut album may be erratic, but it sure is catchy.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
3.2
good
FuneralMarch (3)
Entertaining but nothing special....

when_darkness_falls (3)
"Oh no, yet another Swedish Pop metal band". Fortunately, Amaranthe have enough individuality in the...

The Nexus
recommended by reviewer
Machinae Supremacy Redeemer

I love this album.

Tyrael

20828 Comments

A 5? You silly boy! Btw catchy =/= good (just think of Black and Yellow ughhh)
That said, I really like the review (I really just like pizza's but that's our little secret). Pos.

DoubtGin

so average

Thanks Ty : )

April 26th 2011

Going to give this a listen, review intrigued me. Edit: I think the male lead pales in comparison to the female lead, he might grow on me though.

Blindsided
April 26th 2011

You better do something really really cool for #100.

April 26th 2011

- Yeah, the female singer is superb in every way, but I wouldn't forget the dude.

- Don't worry, I'm already working on my 100th and it's a doozy ;)

April 26th 2011

This is (on first listen) just as erratically catchy as described and I'm loving it.

April 26th 2011

Awesome, I'm glad you like it.

Tyrael

20828 Comments

Don't worry, I'm already working on my 100th and it's a doozy ;)

Yessssss

Dreamflight
April 26th 2011

That "hear me, see me..." part sounds so freaking familiar to me, I'm sure i've heard that melodic line somewhere else.

I'm halfway through the album and so far sounds like a heavier version of Vision of Atlantis. Not bad, but nothing do die for either....

April 26th 2011

I just finished streaming all of this on youtube (in the correct order) and I think I owe you one pizza, this is going to be stuck in my head for a long time.

April 26th 2011

Discovered this band yesterday along with the new band fetauring old Sonic Syndicate dudes.....dont judge me.

Digging: My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

sifFlammable

Chick looks so hot spreading @ the band image =O

Willie
April 27th 2011

Decent review. I couldn't listen to this album again.

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

Voivod
April 27th 2011

In the band page it says that they play a mix of power metal and metalcore.

i wonder how these two genres could blend with each other.....

Digging: Troldhaugen - Obzkure Anekdotez For Maniakal Massez

xist
April 27th 2011

After the amount i disliked that latest Deadlock album i don't think i'll even bother......AngryMetalGuy's review of this is classy though.

Willie
April 27th 2011

The new Deadlock was good. It's not anything like this album.

ButcheredChildren
April 27th 2011

Just logged in to say Deadlock is incomparable to this.
Also that Roland Johansson, Richard Sjunnesson & Roger Sjunnesson of SS rule.
...and finally that this album is alright but if it wasn't for my inflated bias that I definitely scorched the rating with that this album would be a 2.5 for me as well.
I can't help but love their vocals though I feel like this should be played at the mall or something instead of that bad satin shit.

April 27th 2011

pizza this album... what, if you had to pick, is your biggest problem with it?