The Ghost Inside
Returners

by Detriment USER (4 Reviews)
April 22nd, 2011 | 15 replies

Review Summary: Drags in the beginning, but once it picks up it becomes something every hardcore fan will probably want to hear.

I was a big fan of the band's debut, Fury & the Fallen Ones. After hearing that, I had high hopes for their next album. When I first heard Returners, my hopes were not met. I saw it as an album with a couple good songs on it and the rest being quite boring. I now see that I was wrong, but this realization reinforced the fact that track placement can be crucial.

Returners begins with an instrumental track to set the mood and the light melody of the intro makes track number two, Greater Distance, seem more abrasive. The song is decent enough, but the issue begins here: the song employs a generic, forgettable breakdown near the third quarter of the song, and this trait is carried out into the next three songs. It's easy to differentiate between these tracks, but this problem causes the first four (proper) songs to become monotonous and makes Returners lose momentum, although Unspoken is a well written song with catchy vocal lines and gang shouts. What they should have done is put Chrono, The Conflict, or Downbeat nearer to the beginning because this is where the album starts sounding great, and it would have also have helped mix things up because the heavy songs and the melodic songs are, generally, clumped together. These three heartfelt, anthemic songs are easily the highlights of Returners. Downbeat is a somewhat melancholy-sounding song that actually ends up being uplifting rather than depressing, mostly due to the lyrics. This is something I've always appreciated from The Ghost Inside: when Vigil writes positive lyrics they don't come out contrived or gimmicky, unlike many new hardcore bands, and some of their songs are truly uplifting. This is definitely a band you want to throw on if you’re having an especially bad day. It then goes back to the pissed off sound they started out with on The Returner, a one minute track that comes in fast and heavy. The last two tracks are on the heavier side as well. The closer to the album, Truth and Temper, takes a visit back to slight mediocrity for a moment but ends up being a good track and a perfect closer. This song showcases how the band has a knack for whipping up simple, yet beautiful riffs. The song fades out with airy synths weaving their way around the guitars. There is a little hidden piece at around six minutes that isn’t really necessary but in no way does it harm the quality of the album.

So basically what we have here is an album with issues, but once it picks up momentum it doesn’t stop. When it gets to that point the weak beginning is easily forgivable and you’ll forget all about it by the time the record is over. Sure, this band doesn’t cover any new ground, but they’re damn good at what they do and they’ve got heart. I still recommend their debut over this, but I no longer feel disappointed by the outcome of their sophomore effort and I’ll be a returner to this album again and again (terrible pun intended).

Dre (3.5)
It is a darkly twisted affair that contains the recipe for a flavorful blend of metal and hardcore, ...

Danie (4)
While Returners teeters on the edge of formulaic metalcore, it packs a punch....

J. Ponton EMERITUS (3)
A return for the fans...

asaf
April 23rd 2011

umm, i think this album is mint from front to back. mat burso is a bit much on chrono but still cute, but a good number of the breakdowns are flawless. the analog bass drops are absurd on this release and it's really just another ftfd sister attempt, and a huge shift from their debut.

regardless, i go back to it continuously since its release.

OneMoreRoland
April 23rd 2011

Yeah i have to say i like the beginning.

Scoot
April 23rd 2011

Only songs that are awesome to me are Chrono and Between the Lines.

It's pretty good overall.

Spec

Fucking yes.

April 23rd 2011

God dammit. I was hoping I wouldn't have to drop a fanbot 5 review, but it looks possible now.

That being said, not a bad write-up. I'll try to give you legitimate constructive criticism once I get a chance to read this on something that isnt my droid though.

Spec
April 23rd 2011

Still doesn't seem like a 5 to me.

April 23rd 2011

Yeah, I'm willing to take a few negs for my favorite band though.

April 23rd 2011

It'll be facetious at best. It's my guilty pleasure 5. I'll try to justify it as best I can, but it's probably still not gonna hold
much weight.

I expect many a 'come at me, bro'.

Slobo
April 23rd 2011

Every sentence in that first paragraph contains first person perspective: "I was", "I had". It makes your review sound like a greedy kid.
The whole review reads like you're describing the album to a friend on a bus. Theres very little structure, its too opinionated and not even remotely objective.

FearThyEvil
April 23rd 2011

I really should listen to this and the album art is pretty cool.

May 14th 2011

I have no idea what that Slobo is on about.(disregard that)

There is nothing really at all wrong with this, but let me add some suggestions okay?
highlight Returners with some ''s.
Find another way to say 'I'.
some wording could be changed (Google- thesauras) words like wrong, good etc.
As for "hopes were not met" that might have a better flow if said as 'listeners may feel let down by the album'.

The first part of your second paragraph , is rather play by play. This can be found in "the song employs a generic, forgettable breakdown near the third quarter of the song, and this trait is carried out into the next three songs. "while there is nothing coherently wrong with this, it does break the level of flow found in your review.

May 14th 2011

This by itself is pos worthy.

May 14th 2011

^This is a great reiteration of your summary thesis.

Maybe just leave off the (pun intended) part. That way it ensures the reader won't lose confidence in your pun-writing ability.

--------------------------
POS, this is not a bad review, it even kicks a few of mine in the face. What i might suggest however is to try to write a review out of first and second person.

joshieboy12345