Street Chant
Means

by SowingSeason EMERITUS
April 21st, 2011 | 33 replies | 8,149 views

Review Summary: Street Chant offers a glimmer of hope to the waning punk genre, and makes a bid as one of the best rising acts of the still young decade.

Street Chant practically came out of nowhere. Emily Littler, a teenage binge drinker, was inspired to be on stage from nights spent watching bands play at her local pub. Right around the same time, friend Billie Rogers decided she hated the band she was in – and had a bass guitar bestowed upon her by her father. With the addition of Mikey Sperring on drums, the young and aspiring punk rockers were primed for their first get go…one that yielded a top twenty international single (that wasn’t even an official single) in ‘Scream Walk.’ It seemed like fate brought the trio together…and even when adversity struck in the form of Sperring’s departure, drummer Alex Brown simultaneously left his band in search of one just like Street Chant, thus eliminating any chance of a setback. In October 2010, Street Chant caught the eye of The New York Examiner, who proclaimed them to be one of the top five up and coming acts. With their full-length debut Means finally on the market in 2011, they once again seem destined to do great things.

Means is a raw affair, charged by frantic drumming and angst-ridden riffs that give the album a definite punk feel; one that is also accessible enough for a mainstream audience. The record is packed with eleven quick, punchy tunes that will have listeners tapping their feet, rocking in their seats, and occasionally even jumping out of them. Energy is the name of the game here, and like all good punk rock albums, Means delivers the goods. ‘The Fatigues’ is anything but tired as it kicks things off with frenzied verses and a head-banging chorus. In combination with Brown’s perfect-for-punk vocals, Littler’s short but effective electric riffs, and Rogers’ audible bass contributions, ‘The Fatigues’ is a full band effort that leads right into their most successful song to date, the aforementioned ‘Scream Walk’ – which packs the punch of a lost classic from the Ramones’ heyday. ‘Blister’ further reinforces Street Chant’s punk rock credentials, with rebellious sounding vocals that prove to be an ideal fit in the song’s onslaught of intermittent machine gun style drumming and perfect bass/electric guitar interplay.

Energy may be what drives Means forward, but balance is what keeps it from swerving off the map. ‘Yaba Ara’ is a prime example, beginning with a sinister vibe that gradually intensifies but never explodes. It chooses an ebb and flow rhythm and a plethora of impressive drum fills over a predictable climax, showing restraint and maturity on the part of band members who probably shouldn’t be expected to demonstrate either at this point in their careers. ‘Less Chat, More Sewing’ is another track that benefits from Street Chant’s sense of poise, delivering an ideal mid-tempo rocker that knows just when to abandon fury in favor of reprieve. ‘Stoned Again’ shines like a diamond in the rough, providing a leisurely but instrumentally exploratory ballad that, although soothing, never fails to be interesting. Even the dreaded “closing ballad” avoids clichés with its unwaveringly (and intentionally) dull tone, hammered home by discordant electric guitar picking and the echoed thuds that bring Means to an intriguing, abrupt end.

Means is well-done in every respect, and its only flaws may be ones inherent in the punk genre. It isn’t the most groundbreaking musical effort of the year, and it doesn’t show us anything in the way of progression or innovation. But for all intents and purposes, it is a flawless “typical” punk rock album. The instrumentals are nearly perfectly executed, as Brown’s drumming techniques fill the album with a sense of organized chaos. In addition to being spot on with timing, he also throws in more than his fair share of exhilarating fills that bridge what would have been potentially dull gaps in the music. The girls also excel in their roles, providing driving bass lines and spastic, blistering chords that make the album an authentic exercise in punk. With shining talent, tons of youthful vigor, and balanced songwriting, Street Chant commands the spotlight for the whole duration of Means.

Ingrid Michaelson Lights OutLost In The Trees Past Life
The Avett Brothers I and Love and YouAvril Lavigne Avril Lavigne
Yellowcard Ocean Avenue AcousticGoo Goo Dolls Magnetic
3.2
good

April 21st 2011

I'm not into punk at all anymore, but something about this small-town band with a huge sound made me want to dig out all of my old favorites.

Stream is below, enjoy.

klap

"teenage binge drinker"

is there any other kind?

Xenophanes

album art is kewl

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

April 21st 2011

You have no idea how hard it was not to make a joke about the song 'Less Chat, More Sewing'

iFghtffyrdmns
April 21st 2011

you could make a joke but it probably wouldn't be funny and I wouldn't laugh

fuck it all man have a drink have a pos get a boner

done, done, and done ; )

Xenophanes
April 21st 2011

Oh ya good review too baby

pos

Thanks Xeno!

album is criminally overlooked

i mean they are basically nobodies right now but yeah people would like this

Tyrael

20394 Comments

The band page said this was 'rock' so I was intentionally not going to check this out, but your review made me change my mind. Pos!

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

Departures
April 22nd 2011

This sounds alright so I will check it out, pos because the review was well written.

Irving
April 22nd 2011

Solid review. Pos pos pos.

Thanks departures, irving.

Also, irving, that's 2 reviews this week! I'm being productive!

Phideaux
April 23rd 2011

Good review as always. I'll definitely check this out. What would you compare this to?

Acanthus
April 24th 2011

Giving this a listen, review made me curious.

Pos'd as always.

Digging: Symphony X - Paradise Lost

April 24th 2011

sweet, featured. thanks gods of sputnik =]

and thanks acanthus, this is one of those albums that surprised me a little. it is just so much fun to listen to...haven't heard a decent punk album in a while, be it because they haven't been around or i just havent been looking hard enough

Acanthus
April 24th 2011

It is surprising, I liked most of the tracks so far. I don't know how long I'll continue to listen (genre isn't my thing atm) but it was a good find on your part nonetheless.

April 24th 2011

phideaux: my experience with punk rock is rather limited to my younger days, back when green day and blink were considered "punk", but i'll do my best to compare them to someone anyway...the Ramones come to mind simply because of the raw sound and energy, the vocalist reminds me a little of Green Day in its pre-Dookie days, but not nearly as annoying. There is probably a punk authority on here who is far more qualified to make comparisons than I, so I left the recommended by reviewer section blank.

thanks acanthus, glad you found it enjoyable. punk isn't my genre atm either (never really was) but this will still probably find its way into my top 15-20 albums by the end of the year just because of its sheer ability to overcome the fact that im not into punk and still be awesome anyway

Phideaux
April 24th 2011

Cool. I'm liking this so far.

deathofasalesman
April 24th 2011

Sounds like the fastest scene in an indie film.