Opeth
Blackwater Park

by Kevin K USER (56 Reviews)
April 20th, 2011 | 68 replies | 4,174 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

The setting could best be associated with a dark, weathered forest, with Opeth’s fifth studio album, Blackwater Park, being a perplexing shadow. It’s not the first album like this, but the distinction here is what Opeth casts their shadow on. Rather than dimming the lights on religion and violence, Blackwater Park takes lost love, mourning and even bits of nature to their uniquely dark place. “Bleak” leers like a thick fog, verses creeping alongside the eerie mist that makes up the album’s surroundings. “Patterns in the Ivy” is more vaguely sinister, blending pianos and acoustic guitar to bring a more subtle atmosphere to the album.

The sound here is layered and heavy, balancing gentle acoustic passages and clean vocals (“Harvest”) with progressive metal sections and fierce growls (“Blackwater Park”) in a brilliantly deep abyss that beckons (and almost requires) several focused listens. Generally the growls go excellently alongside the heavier parts, but in the case of “The Drapery Falls” it fits clean vocals into the package yet still inherits the strength of the songs before it. Likewise, “Dirge for November” sandwiches a heavier core between an acoustic intro and outro, and “Blackwater Park” executes a stellar progressive blend between the two.

Opeth fuse atmosphere with excellent instrumentation to create something thick, something that draws you in to submerge yourself and rewards you the entire way in. Blackwater Park feels like wandering through foliage at night, a sound that is organic but puts your mind into dark, pensive thought. The album is grim but it’s neither threatening nor a predator, almost elusive to attention but so very deserving of it.

Uio Loi Uio LoiLord Mantis Death Mask
Sundrugs Hidden ScenesJulianna Barwick The Magic Place
Utada Hikaru DEEP RIVERFlying Lotus Los Angeles

April 20th 2011

yeah I know, metaphor's retarded, too short, needs moar 5 reviews. rolling the dice a bit here, just unsure if this is an effective way to describe the album. comments/criticism appreciated

Digging: Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops

Yes, another one.

April 20th 2011

first sentence, is a little comma, happy. but other than that a stellar review, especially considering its length. pos'd.

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

April 20th 2011

Some sentences look like they would be better broken up, but it's pretty good.

pos'd as well

April 20th 2011

thanks guys, I'll come back to fix this later. review is pretty experimental

dimsim3478
April 20th 2011

Fantastic review, way too short. Not gonna pos', not gonna neg'.

[EDIT] Okay, the awesomeness of this review outweighs it's length. Pos'.

Digging: My Psychoanalyst - Choreomania

Drsmith4

oh my fucking god

April 20th 2011

^ Given that the review is good, can we ignore that it's the 12th one? If that's what you're referring to.

Voivod
April 20th 2011

Now that's an underground band that I am not aware of...

just kidding, good review.

Digging: Essence Beyond - Carnivalism

April 20th 2011

Opeth? How do you even pronounce that? You are into some crazy indie underground shit man

Deviant.

I can't get behind this review

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

DarkNoctus

who are opeth again? [:

I can't get behind this review

if it's because of the way I described their sound I understand entirely, probably doesn't make the most sense

April 20th 2011

Review's fine, just a bit weird

Slum

inb4 shadows quote

April 20th 2011

I like the way you described it

where the fuck is Irving

and thanks Sowing :]

April 20th 2011

Why do you care where Irving is? Does he like this album or something?

Deviant.
April 20th 2011

No it's not that. What's written is nice enough there's just not much of it. I'm all for short reviews but there's barely anything here to truly justify your rating. That tormented wood nymph line is a little ott for my tastes though