Nico
Chelsea Girl

by Eric USER (161 Reviews)
April 15th, 2011 | 13 replies

Release Date: 1967 | Tracklist

Listening to Chelsea Girl, I always reminisce back to my younger, close-minded self who casually thought that “girls just didn’t make good music.” I was not a sexist douchebag, this 12 year-old me would merely proclaim (albeit in different language), it just, didn’t, happen. Considering Nico’s almost glaring lack of talent and the fact that she comes across soulless and harpy-ish on Chelsea Girl, it’s odd that this would be the broad to prove me wrong. Throughout the cold bitch’s most critically-acclaimed LP, the ice queen crafts a few flawless tracks amid a sea of equally bone-chilling duds. It’s amazing to hear the jump from the sublime, transcendental peak of “These Days” all the way to depths of Nico’s nonexistent heart with “Little Sister,” and makes me wonder how one could achieve this inconsistency accidentally. Despite this, a few aspects are clear throughout. Nico’s deep voice is distant and blunt, and shrill without succumbing to being grating. Nearby, the stark and minimalist flute and violin arrangements run parallel to the wintry vocals. What really makes or breaks each individual piece, I’ve found, is the melody. The impeccable catchiness and charm to “Fairest of the Seasons” provides some euphonious allure to counteract the cacophony of the desolate arrangements. Songs like “It Was A Pleasure Then” or “Somewhere There’s A Feather,” with their (seriously) drugged fuzziness and general repugnance only exist to bring the rest of Nico’s album down. Looking back once again, Chelsea Girl certainly taught me girls were, in fact, capable of crafting some sweet tunes, dude, but I couldn't help but wish their albums were more consistent.

Mogwai Rave TapesTau Tau Eyelids
Ghost Ship Golden GirlsCrosses EP
Warren Franklin Your Heart Belongs To The MidwestFrightened Rabbit A Frightened Rabbit EP
Hernan M. Campbell STAFF (4)
"These days, I seem to think a lot about the things that I forgot to do…"...

Mordecai.
April 16th 2011

she was pretty fucking hot back in the day though.

i mean, i'd put one through her.

Irving

Hi Chea Amenone :D

Nifty review. The tone isn't exactly "professional" and the review is a bit ranty, but I will pos nevertheless for some solid prose.

climactic

19577 Comments

i didn't know you were raised speaking a different language, your english is better than mine

then again, why would i have known that

wabbit
April 16th 2011

...ugh eric you are so not allowed to not like albums I enjoy.

gaslightanthem
April 16th 2011

the marble index and desertshore are so good

i havent listened to this in ages, i remember kinda liking it but nowhere near as good as the other 2 i mentioned

iFghtffyrdmns
April 16th 2011

“girls just didn’t make good music.” I was not a sexist

lolol wtf.

ok fine nice review Eric

AggravatedYeti

eric wtf.

DoubtGin
April 16th 2011

were you drunk when you wrote this

Yotimi
April 16th 2011

This album is great. But I will agree that "These Days" does outshine most/all of the others

bloodsorcery
April 16th 2011

"Nico's glaring lack of talent" "girls can craft some sweet tunes"
make up your mind

gaslightanthem

nico rules honestly

wabbit
April 16th 2011

I really think people have no idea what a "neg" is.

UsernameX
December 22nd 2013

"girls just didn’t make good music.”

"Throughout the cold bitch’s most critically-acclaimed LP"

"taught me girls were, in fact, capable of crafting some sweet tunes, dude, but I couldn't help but wish their albums were more consistent.'

YOU ARE A FUCKHEAD