Originating from Canton, Ohio, USA, this spiritually inclined pop punk band was formed by Matt Thiessen (b. Canada; guitar/vocals), Matt Hoopes (guitar), Brian Pittman (bass), and David Douglas (drums). The quartet took their unusual name from the beaten up car that Hoopes drove at the time (a Plymouth Reliant K). They made their live debut on New Year's Day, 1998, and it did not take long for the quartet to build a regional following, and also sign a recording contract with the indie label Gotee. The band began releasing albums at a rather rapid pace, including 2001's The Anatomy Of The Tongue in Cheek and 2003"s Two Lefts Don't Make A Right " But Three Do. Constantly on the road supporting their albums, Relient K has shared the concert stage with similarly styled outfits such as New Found Glory and Good Charlotte.
Now donít get me wrong, touring with Good Charlotte helped them but they are no Good Charlotte. People turn away from them because they are a Christian band, people turn away from them because they are punk, and some people turn away from them just because they aren't black and singing about how they are hustlers and gangsters. To tell you the truth, i was thinking about buying MMHMM before a girl at my school said they were good. Now, i know listening to a girl that isn't your girlfriend is not a good thing, but hell in this case it was. Now they have come out with this EP.
1. The Truth - This song is one of the best new tracks on this CD. It seems like Matt is singing about an ex but who cares what the song is driven by if its this damn good? Did i mention this is just the opening song? 9/10
2. Apathetic Way to be - The vocals seem to fit in with the MMHMM CD and as the booklet put it, ""Originally appeared on the vinyl version of "MMHMM" released on mono vs. stereo." How many people were lucky enough to get the Vinyl MMHMM? SO yeah, like I said the vocals fit in with MMHMM and proves the Relient K has found the way they want their music. The best part is when the timer hits around 2:45 when the vocals change a little and he finishes the song. 10/10
3. Be My Escape [acoustic] - This is even better the original version and that's saying a lot. In the version, it sounds like thereís another instrument besides bass, guitar, and drum. I canít quite put a finger on it. It adds to the song, but I still want to know what the hell it is. 9/10
4. Which to Bury, us or the Hatchet [acoustic] - This really steps down from the original version, since it doesnít have that same feeling you got when you heard it on MMHMM. This connected with me because I liked this girl but we could never go out and this just gave me calmness when I heard it on MMHMM 7.5/10
5. Over Thinking [acoustic] - This is by far the best song on the EP and far better then I thought it would be. The original was always a favorite of mine but this has even bumped that down. A must download if you can find it, even if you donít like this kind of music or band. The best part is the guitar and vocals. The guitar carries the lyrics and the drums round up the song just like you would expect. 10/10
6. In like a Lion (Always Winter) - The booklet says this song is inspired by the book The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. Seeing as Iíve never even heard of this book I can't tell you if it's true. What I can tell you is this song is the second best on this EP and the best new track on this EP. I donít really know what to say about this song. It is just the way you would expect a slow song to be. It connects with me, and I just effing realized it. 10/10
7. The Thief - We finally get to the end of this EP and Iím glad I paid the 10 bucks to get this because this is the kind of CD you can play whenever you want. This is the shortest song but it leaves you wanting more. Any band thatís leaves you wanting more is always a good band.
Some may call me biased for this, but this record gets a 5/5. Why some people may ask. Well that have found their sound and have expanded on it perfectly. The doubters might still doubt and the disrespecters might still disrespect, but who cares? The drums and guitars are played right to fit in with the vocals. Even if you donít like this type of music, download one of my must hearís.
Over Thinking [Acoustic]
In like a lion (Always Winter)
songs they picked to do acoustic versions of
it was only 10 dollars
Iím in school
it was only 10 dollars
My second review for the site, tell me what you thought of it.