Poison the Well
Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

by FilupLees USER (13 Reviews)
April 13th, 2011 | 12 replies | 6,829 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Late 90's metalcore that defined the genre over the next 10 years.

Perhaps the most frequent qualm from the punk community about metal music is the lack of obvious emotion poured into the music. In the 80’s the punks became obsessed with being generally angry while metal heads would try and see who could play the longest guitar solos. Fortunately, there were some music fans who realized the ability to harness the raw emotions of hardcore punk and the blazing technicality of heavy metal and form it into an intense genre now known as metalcore. Some bands, namely The Dillinger Escape Plan, took the genre in a highly technical direction with ever changing time signatures, complexities and intricacies. Then there the other principal splinter in metalcore. Those bands picked up the emo and post-hardcore influences while still largely retaining the famous “chugga-chugga” riffing. Poison The Well can be accredited with popularizing that second variety.

Poison The Well came out of Florida in 1998 with Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder and shocked the musical world’s perception of what metalcore could be. The EP managed to posses every bit of extreme, seething, ferocious hatred every member of the band felt while still creating audible heartbreak with every sputtered syllable and every blistering chord. The lyrics never fail to reflect the tone set by the music itself. It is rare that on any subgenre of punk you can find lyrics that run from such opposite ends of the emotional spectrum. Whether it is the feeling of such abysmal uselessness in Grain of Salt,

”Another attempt and love remains unrequited./ Why do I even bother?”

Or the venom laden fury at the rich in Material Christ

”Your so-called meager life is plagued with riches.”

The listener is bombarded with images of the band’s emotional turmoil. The means that the lyrics are presented through doesn’t lose any of the power that the lyrics have. There are times where the vocals will go from one rapacious scream, to back up clean vocalists, to the occasional female backing vocals to a gang scream. The fact that screams frequently accompany the clean back up vocals, and commonly with the same lyrics, provides a unique contrast and emphasis on those sections.

Poison The Well’s importance over the 21st century is undeniable, and can all be traced back to this EP. Since then they have gone on to release five successful albums that have evolved on the sounds that this release, and their first full length were built upon, (same say they sold out) but they might not have released anything since this that is so raw, so primal, and so god damn punk.

Spelling Bee Sweet Dreams, Strange AnimalSinking Steps...Rising Eyes Majestic Blue
Men As Trees WeltschmerzMohinder Everything
Anasarca Discography 1994-1997Faith/Void Split

April 13th 2011

So I was the 100th person to rate this, then I went to read the review and was SHOCKED to see there wasn't one. 100 rating and no one took the time to review an EP?

ConsiderPhlebas
April 13th 2011

Still listen to this quite often. Blew my mind back in the day, along with Skycamefalling's ep.

iFghtffyrdmns
April 13th 2011

a nice review, but if I can criticize one thing - your entire paragraph is about something other than this band or album, and it's about equal in length to the rest of the review.

just watch out for stuff like that

i love how their old guitarist is now in sleigh bells haha

Chrisjon89
April 13th 2011

Good review. I've heard most of this EP but not for alot of years.

Love this band. 'You Come Before You' is probably my favourite of theirs.

April 13th 2011

Hmm. I probably need to not mention thrash metal at all, but I think some introduction to why this release was so original is important. Do you think it's worth changing at this point?

iFghtffyrdmns
April 13th 2011

if it makes for a more cohesive piece of writing, it's always worth changing :]

April 14th 2011

That seems better to me. If it sucks I'll fix it tomorrow.

accompliceofmydeath
April 14th 2011

I'm surprised this didn't have a review, too. The only thing thrash about this is when the play the intro to that Metallica song on one of the live songs.

Digging: Devo - Freedom of Choice

April 14th 2011

I didn't write anything about the album being thrash, just about previous mergers of metal and hardcore.

Captain North
April 16th 2011

This is easily their most 'meh' creation.

Fluttertrank
June 21st 2012

EP rules. though it would be better if the vocals were better. Jeffrey is so much better than this
guy, also the tallica intro is actually kind of funny

Fluttertrank
February 15th 2013

still rules. love the liner notes.