Devin The Dude
Just Tryin' Ta Live

by TheMorningstar USER (2 Reviews)
April 11th, 2011 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Unique Amongst Today's Hip-Hop Trends

It's a shame, as a fan of music, to know that some of the greatest talents in the world do not get more exposure than they have achieved. Devin the Dude is one such talent. In an age when traditional "topical" hip-hop is scarce and fleeting, the Dude never seems to disappoint.

In his sophomore outing, Mr. Copeland covers everything that no one wants to talk about anymore in the realm of rap. From dealing with a crappy car ('Lac ville '79) to young children attending concerts they shouldn't be at (Who is that Man Moma?), Devin proves to be as versatile as a Swiss Army Knife. From a show and tell story with an alien from Mars (Zeldar), to getting harassed and laughed at by your peers (I-Hi). No, these are not the subjects of simple lines, but of entire songs that showcase Devin's cleverly structured story telling and open thinking, as well as his wordsmith skills. You won't find repetitive and monotonous wordplay about guns and having sex with every woman you meet (and even though this is repeated several times, he does address the woes of cheating in relationships).

To sum it up, "Just Tryin' ta Live" is a classic in every sense of the word. It's either ahead of it's time, or it has been too long since hip-hop breathed in this way. Charming, Sad, Relaxed, Blunt, Nasty, and Funny all at once, this is an album EVERY fan of hip-hop should own.

Tupik
April 11th 2011

I've been wanting to listen to some Devin the Dude for some time, I might start with this.

For a first review, this is pretty solid, especially since you took the risk of going with a short review. I'm not going to pos since I prefer reviews that go more in-depth, but I hope you'll review some more Hip-Hop. Well done.

cirq
April 11th 2011

devin the dude is very underrated.

letsgofishing
April 11th 2011

Yeah, this is a solid review for a first, but I think you sold yourself short by not going into more length. Personally, there is no way that this review would ever convince me that this album is a classic, and while it has the beginnings of some ideas there, they're never fully explored like they should of been. Challenge yourself, go more in-depth, write a longer review. Looking foreword to your next one, welcome to the site

Psilocyanide
April 11th 2011

Devin the Dude's not bad, and not a bad review for a first. However you didn't even give an idea of the beats to the reader.

BigHans
April 12th 2011

album rules, chill as fuck

cirq
April 12th 2011

doobie ashtray > all

LastEpic
April 16th 2011

I checked it out because of your review. It was actually pretty good. The vibe was how you described it, it was a nice change of pace, thanks.

gabethepiratesquid
December 2nd 2011

Curren$y before Curren$y.

Axiomatic
April 27th 2012

So chill

twlichty
May 24th 2012

this album is dope as fuck, listening for the first time right now

PappyMason
September 2nd 2015

I figured this wouldn't have that many comments.

squaaab