Diego Garcia
Laura

by SowingSeason STAFF
April 6th, 2011 | 11 replies | 7,834 views

Review Summary: A summer breeze...

I’m not exactly sure who Diego Garcia is, but this album tells me everything I need to know about him. The hopeless romantic crafts for us nine ballads on his solo debut, simply titled Laura; and a sublime tropical breeze can be felt as each breathy verse and effortless strum slowly transports your perceptions to the painted blue skies and gorgeous, shimmering waters that grace the cover…and all just in time for summer.

Sure, further research would reveal Garcia to be the singer/songwriter for NYC indie-pop outfit Elefant…but I didn’t find that listening to his back catalogue added anything to the experience that is Laura. Maybe I am just an overemotional sap, but the concept of an album named entirely after one girl is just plain romantic. That romanticism could go either way though, because it also sounds like something a middle school emo band would do…but what Garcia creates here is so pure and ethereal that you have no choice but to believe that every note, beat, and lyric is dug straight from the depths of his unrequited love-stricken heart. Songs like ‘Inside My Heart’ and ‘Laura’ are enough in themselves to prove the album’s sincerity, and they also mark instrumental highlights by way of the atmospheric guitars and splendid vocal melodies. The whole album sounds so carefree and chill, inviting a slow ride with the windows down or maybe even an afternoon under the sun whilst laying on a soft patch of green grass. The imagery is ever present, soaking up the listener’s senses and then raining down on him /her with colorful, one-of-a-kind indie pop. Laura is basically the summer love album that you always wanted to write, but couldn’t. Its sound is heavily rooted in acoustic guitars, and the vocals and overall sound are accessible enough to be enjoyed in almost any setting. Laura will capture your attention every bit as much as the real Laura captivated Diego Garcia. Immerse yourself in her beauty, and hopefully you will be inspired to similar heights.

The Rosebuds Sand + SilenceOwl John Owl John

klap

recommended by reviewer?

Digging: Literature - Chorus

April 6th 2011

still reads well so have a pos. ive been looking for something like this for a while.

twlichty
April 6th 2011

i have an ex named laura.... i'll check this out

April 6th 2011

is that your reasoning for picking this up, or just a side note?

April 6th 2011

album is like 5 bucks on itunes might be worth it if you have some extra money laying around

Tyrael
April 7th 2011

20798 Comments

A summer breeze...

Exactly what I was thinking when I read this review. Pos.

Phideaux
April 8th 2011

Actually not a bad review. Gets the point across, I think. Not really up to your standards though.

Irving
April 9th 2011

Somebody alert Atavan because this review totally isn't contributor quality

It's still better than 85% of reviews kicking around online though. Check out this piece of turd on Spin.com, for example:

It's for Coheed and Cambria's Year of the Black Rainbow. My left testicle could write better and in greater detail than that.

afghanwhigger
April 9th 2011

Spin magazine is still around? What else is still crawling around half dead... that hippy loving Rolling Stone magazine?

April 11th 2011

lol, Irving. Not that i could say much.