Vanguard
Erek and Ivor

by DimmuBurger101 USER (1 Reviews)
April 6th, 2011 | 10 replies | 4,642 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Epic symphonic deathcore? The underground world of metal never ceases to suprise me...

Everyone who listens to heavy metal is likely familier with deathcore. It's one of those annoying genres that just won't die, kind of like the horrendously low-quality one man black metal groups you find disgorging their generic filth upon the community of underground metal.
Anyway, deathcore has always been one of my most hated genres of music, and I always considered it an insult to true heavy metal, especially after stumbling upon the disaster that is Waking the Cadaver, in my opinion the worst band of all time. But when I saw this small article announcing Vanguard as 'Epic symphonic deathcore' I was intrigued, and set out on my quest to find it. It was not easy, as this is one of the most underground bands I have encountered, but I finally found it for download. The first track was fairly standard 'core and I was not impressed, and the second track, 'And the Story Begins...' was a speaking track, which, although interesting, did not have that much to offer. But then 'By Night' began to play, and this is when the album REALLY begins.

In short, Vanguard is a deathcore band with lots of different influences, including Symphonic, Folk, Progressive and Melodic Death metal, and relies very heavily on keyboards for orchestral and folk instruments. And while this may seem very strange for a deathcore band, it is pulled off amazingly well. None of it seems strained or irritating, the keyboards do not overwhelm the other instruments or vice versa, and none of the tracks are the same. Not only that, but unlike many bands of this genre, they do not lean on brutal breakdowns, pig squeals or other deathcore tricks to carry the music. Also, all of the band members can really PLAY, especially the guitarist who, in addition to some very nice riffs, is in charge of all the orchestral elements.

Erek and Ivor is a concept album telling some fantasy story (although there are spoken parts, most of the lyrics are impossible to interpret due to the guttural vocals) but is not one of those albums I listen to for the lyrics, it is an album I listen to for the music. I can honestly say that out of all the bands I have discovered in metal, I have never met a band quite like Vanguard, and I doubt I will ever encounter another.

Vanguard's line-up is as follows:

Joel Quartuccio - Vocals

Bring Hope

Reccomended tracks?

SCREAM!
April 6th 2011

well i don't like deathcore and i can't stand most symphonic metal so i will stay far far away from this (and well no offence but with a username liek that you aren't inspiring much confidence here either)

Good review however especially for a first although i'd recommend going into a little bit more detail in the future

Digging: Old Witch - Come Mourning Come

April 6th 2011

good review, there are some spots you could expand, for example:

"The first track was fairly standard 'core and I was not impressed"
how?/why?

Maybe isolating a track or two couldn't hurt either, describing how and why, backing up why you think this is a 4 rating.
Good review though, some really good ideas.

April 7th 2011

Which tracks do you reccomend?

SCREAM!
April 7th 2011

just search some or get the album

no one does recced tracks anymore this isn't 2007

April 7th 2011

Fair enough just lookin for some kind of start point, its nice to have someone point and just stroll down that road.

TheSpirit
April 7th 2011

epic symphonic deathcore? i feel like that using both "epic" and "symphonic" seems a bit redundant... anyway this doesn't sound good at all, but this would be decent review if you ran it through some kind of spell/grammar check.

Digging: Venus Star - Nigredo Expulsion

pizzamachine

Good review!

DimmuBurger101
April 7th 2011

Thanks for the constructive criticism guys! I do enjoy some helpful tips on how to write reviews better.

@TheSprit: I understand that using both words does seem redundant, but I always felt that 'Epic' was kind of its own style, as some sites define 'epic' as just another sub-genre of music. But if this is not a good thing to do, I would gladly refer to it as one or the other

My recommended tracks are 'By Night', 'Aboard the Maelstrom', 'Hands of Fate' and 'March of Malus'.

Thanks burger