Emmure
Speaker of the Dead

1.5
very poor

by TechieCore USER (13 Reviews)
April 5th, 2011 | 22 replies | 4,638 views

Review Summary: Emmure, how are you so damn good at being this bad?

What is there to say about a band like Emmure? Once the topic of conversation for scene kids everywhere, Emmure has recently seemed to fade away with the dissolution of deathcore (slowly) and the current progressive/djent movement.

Known for consistent chugging, boring drum fills, and macho hardcore-yelling-to-screaming teenage movie lines, Emmure sure knows how to bring one thing - the mediocrity. They had a decent album with Goodbye to the Gallows, and I have since cared less about them. So I decided to give Speaker of the Dead a shot. Was it worth it? Absolutely not.

Speaker of the Dead starts out like every other Emmure album, a breakdown (with of course, "We are unstoppable", that's not cliche). Area 66-64 drags the album further along, with more breakdowns and wankery throughout the entire song. Nothing that hasn't been done six thousand times already. Every song after starts to blend together, to the point of where I can't even discern them apart. It then finishes with, you guessed it, another breakdown, chanting "We're all going to die!". Yes Frankie Nasso, your CD is the cause.

I do however give Emmure credit for one song, just for the sole cause that it is too damn catchy. Solar Flare Homicide is a great show track, and clearly the reason they made it one of the singles off of the album. Don't expect anything fantastic, but it will leave you bobbing your head a bit.

Honestly, Emmure have no bounds when it comes to not changing their style. The past 4 CD's have all been so similar in production, style, rhythm, and songwriting. It begs to ask the question, could Emmure please make just ONE decent record just to prove us wrong? Probably not.

Outrun The Sunlight The Return of InertiaElitist Earth
Betraying the Martyrs Breathe In LifeJody Breeze Welcome To The Futute: Part 2
Volumes ViaAttila Outlawed
2.4
Devin Earl (2.5)
Miles ahead of Felony and light years away from being liked by real metalheads...

mcchub (2)
Another unoriginal addition to the Emmure discography...

Lambda (2)
Horrible lyrics, repetitive songwriting, and endless chugging represent a small step forward for Emm...

TechieCore
April 5th 2011

I'm starting to get better at this reviewing thing. I've noticed it's much easier to write a review on a terrible album than a fantastic one.

JWT155
April 5th 2011

I'll be the judge of that

FearOfTheDuck
April 5th 2011

The fact that 4 people have deemed this a "classic" is actually quite disturbing.

promiseswept
April 5th 2011

lol I like how you say you are getting better at reviewing. this is bad

TheArkitecht
April 5th 2011

lol this album. lol this review.

Scrambled

awesome review great job

Remer17
April 5th 2011

"Wankery." On an Emmure album? What?

Curse.
April 5th 2011

It is easier to write a shitty review on a shitty band than a shitty review on a good band

twlichty
April 5th 2011

there is no wanking on this album. the reviewer doesn't know what wanking means. pos'd

April 5th 2011

Album has some great songs

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

kingsoby1

cool name for a record if you like Orson Scott Card

North0House2
April 5th 2011

This album is like what you'd find at the bottom of a fair grounds port-o-potty.

Digging: Amen Dunes - Love

Spec
April 5th 2011

What were your other reviews like?

Digging: Rinoa - An Age Among Them

YetAnotherBrick
April 5th 2011

This review isn't worth a pos, but I wouldn't say it's really worth a neg, either. It's not awful. Just needs some work.

1337Kellx

Reviews pretty cliche lol

Aids
April 6th 2011

not a good review at all. it's barely good enough to be a soundoff...

TechieCore
April 6th 2011

I'm sorry I'm not a writing major. I can only write so much about a horrible CD that sounds exactly like their past three. And it's my second review ever, so I really don't care.

1337Kellx
April 6th 2011

Its just the same thing everyone says about Emmure more of these reviews aren't really needed....

Confessed2005

cancerous band

funny review.

SepticReAnimate
May 30th 2011

"I'm starting to get better at this reviewing thing."

"1 of 11 thought this review was well written"

I lol'd