Kanye West
The College Dropout

by DolanDuck USER (2 Reviews)
April 3rd, 2011 | 17 replies | 6,279 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Kanye West's debut album appeals to the average young American kid with a lack of direction and insecurity about their own beliefs, dreams, and ambitions. Sounds like someone I know.

I just got home. It's five in the morning. Yes, it is a Thursday, a school day, and I'm out driving in my dad's Lincoln Town Car listening to The College Dropout by Kanye West. Why? Because I have nothing better to do. I don’t have to sleep because I’m out of school. I got kicked out of the school fellow Sputniker Bulldog goes to the day before last school year started, and dropped out of the large public school because I was a gnat amongst the tall beautiful people of Jenks High School. So now I either go to military school or work at Wal-Mart for the rest of my life.

“Cause aint no to tuition for havin no ambition
And aint no loans for sittin your ass at home
So we forced to sell crack rap and get a job
You gotta do something man your ass is grown”

Yup. I nodded my head the whole way through the first track of the album, “We Don’t Care”. Sarcastically playful and upbeat audibly, its lyrical content certainly is aimed at someone like me: a kid with dreams but no outlet. Kanye, unlike most rappers, actually had a normal upbringing. Middle class, living with a single mom who was well educated and Chair of the English Department at Chicago State University, and actually receiving A’s and B’s in high school, Kanye broke the mold of the traditional hood rat in the rap game. The album lyrically was a total change of pace for the industry. It was something that the average young American could relate to. Someone like me.

Sonically Kanye shows his excellent background in producing by varying his samplings from pop to rap to soul to jazz. The sound of each song fits its story. “Jesus Walks” is hymn like with its background vocals and powerful pulsating rhythm. “The New Workout Plan” literally sounds like what the title would indicate, almost as though he took the beat off of a 1980’s Richard Simmons workout tape.
And greater than anything is Kanye’s pure storytelling and relatability (interesting how that aspect of his career went down the tubes). From personal experiences to those of his peers, we not only get a sense of what Kanye’s upbringing was like, but the listener can reflect on their own life.

Out of all the hip hop albums I’ve listened to this is the only one that’s made me cry. Because I realize how absolutely destroyed every part of my livelihood is. What do I believe in anymore? Where do I go from here? I am the high school dropout. But not for long. I’m going to get a job, start working out again, and embrace going to military school. Heck, kids from there have gone to Harvard and Yale. Maybe then I can go back to my old school and pay the principal, Toby Clark, a visit. I’ll have a chorus of singing kids and a band. You know what we’ll be singing? “Jokes on you, I’m still alive, and doing pretty damn well.” I’m sure Mr. West would be proud.

DhA (5)
This is Kanye West, before he became the voice of this generation ;)...

something vague (3.5)

April 3rd 2011

My first review, so I'm ok with any constructive criticism.

climactic
April 4th 2011

a little over-personal, and you don't really go into why this album is a "classic". there's more about your life than the album itself. well-written though

April 4th 2011

Well now that I've laid all that kind of stuff on the table it won't be featured in future reviews.

ThyCrossAwaits
April 4th 2011

If you're going to base this around an anecdote, it really needs to be longer and more in-depth.

Scoot
April 4th 2011

Not bad for your first review man. Keep it up.

theacademy

nice story

pos'd

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

Tupik
April 4th 2011

I liked it. Obviously this review is more adapted to people who already know the album, so if someone wants to actually know how the album is musically he can't judging by your review.

It was interesting though, I'm not going to pos because of what I pointed out earlier, but it is surely well-written and I'm looking forward to future reviews from you.

Digging: Mick Jenkins - The Water[s]

April 4th 2011

Trust me, none of my other reviews will be this personal

Titan50
April 4th 2011

It seems that Yeezy taught you well

Comatorium.

now lets not be crazy

Bulldog
April 5th 2011

been so long since i read something you wrote man. pos'd

cirq

tl;dr but pos'd anyways

DhA
April 5th 2011

good review man. summary is awesome.

April 5th 2011

feel like a newfag, but is pos bad or good

MUNGOLOID

bad.

Bulldog
April 5th 2011

pos = voted that the review was well written
neg = voted that the review wasn't well written

just think pos/positive, neg/negative

derp.

TreeMuzik
April 5th 2011

HAHA. Good to know a high school education holds no value anymore these days....great album in the day. Good Review.