Yuck
Yuck

by rasputin USER (196 Reviews)
April 3rd, 2011 | 26 replies | 4,338 views

Review Summary: revivalism, ew yuck.

To put it bluntly, Yuck’s self-titled debut LP is a tribute album. Its whims and charms are heavily rooted in 90s alternative and indie rock, with the UK group combining a plethora of different variations of styles from this era to create a warm and inviting sound.

The band does not, however, merely replicate, it recreates – Yuck’s presence is unique in the sense that they forge an identity without comprising themselves. While revivalism is currently the trend these days, Yuck manages to poke its nose out in front of its contemporaries despite the fact that it adheres to this ‘revivalism’ just as much any other record.

With the Built to Spill-esque melodicisms of ‘Shook Down’, the Strokes-y rhythms of opener ‘Get Away’, the mid-era Sonic Youth dissonance of ‘Operation' and even the slow-burning closer ‘Rubber’ with its Yo La Tengo inspired fuzz and Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream-era escapism, Yuck really is a testament to the quality of indie rock in the 90s.Though there may seem to be a vast disparity in the styles that they are covering, Yuck blend it all together into a cohesive and engaging record; the songs shift in tempo from up-beat pop songs to lazy summer tunes, all while retaining a consistent edge.

Though it may never live up to its influences, Yuck channels the liveliness and youthful jubilance of the 90s indie rock scene, and does it well. It’s hard to proclaim ‘masterpiece’ when you’re talking about revivalism, but rest assured that Yuck is doing everything right.

Hoax HoaxHakaristi Hakaristi
Burial Invocation Rituals of the GrotesqueEibon Entering Darkness
Abe Sada / Sub Ordnance Redux / Organ GrinderIron Lung/Mind Eraser/HS/Scapegoat Brutal Supremacy
CaptainSpacker (3.5)

Adam Downer STAFF (3.5)
Sort of like why the 'Rugrats' and 'Hey Arnold' movies weren't quite as good as the shows that inspi...

Sam Feldman's Rating (4.5)

Glow and Behold

April 3rd 2011

wrote this for my uni publication so thought I'd post it here as well

Relinquished
April 3rd 2011

great album. haven't listened to it in a while though.

feav233
April 3rd 2011

i have a hard time listening to the first half of this album, cannot get into it, really dig the second half though

April 3rd 2011

I find the first half poppier, which I think creates a great contrast with the latter half. The only track I dislike is 'The Wall', while the rest are all great. I will admit that though the flow on the record is good, there are times when they jump from soemthing very upbeat to something really chill and there's no real inbetween, but it's still fine.

flalafell
April 3rd 2011

this is probably my aoty right now, which says alot about how much i'm hating 2011 so far

feav233
April 3rd 2011

The first half is definitely poppier and I also wasn't a huge fan of 'The Wall' along with 'Get Away'. I think 'Operation'
and 'Rubber' are my favorite.

April 3rd 2011

I like 'Get Away' a lot actually, opens up the album really well. Though I will concur on the greatness of 'Operation' and 'Rubber'

Electric City

wonderful review

Digging: A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Sea When Absent

thanks adam

my stupid uni magazine has a limit of 200-250 words, forces you to be concise

iFghtffyrdmns
April 4th 2011

pretty much sums up my feelings on this record.

nicely done.

adjeco

yeah short reviews yeaaaaahhhhh

im bringing them back

adjeco
April 4th 2011

yeah baby we're goin to the top personal jets babes in both arms the whole shabang

jingledeath

yuck will get

not even close to yuck

gaslightanthem

sweet review big momma

Titan50
April 4th 2011

It seems I like this more than most

balcaen
April 4th 2011

everyone is razzing on this for being 'too contrived'. fuck it though. i love this shit. i don't care if i'm turning sputnik into a gay indie playground by saying so.

balcaen
April 4th 2011

oh and pos'd. i love when reviews aren't tl;dr

conradtao